Canon C300 Audio

Just did 3x 45min docs with C300 Rec run>>>Timecode Buddy>>>788 Autorecord and Sennheiser G2 Feed on C300

Besides the little delay in auto record (around 1,5 sec) it worked out fine. We had no problem with that as everything happend pretty much controlled.

tcbuddy.jpg

BUT: Yesterday different Client:

a Interview direct Line in from SQN 5. Could not see Levels during Interview but put Tone to -20 as Line in does automatically.

In Final Cut it turned out that my levels peak around -24 to -22. From my experience it should have been 10dB higher. (Limiter in SQN was on).

That leaves me to the idea that THE C300 METERS ARE CHEATING. I AM PRETTY SURE THAT CANON PUT SOME SAFETY ZONE IN THEIR METERS.

Anybody else did some tests with levels on the recorded videos?

Are you sure it's not just final cut using a different scale?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did 4 days with C300 single system with SRA Rx velcroed to the back of the LCD screen, not ideal but it worked out ok. Also had a Sennheiser G3 Tx velcroed elsewhere on the rig so client and agency could monitor audio not to mention the Transvideo Titan transmitter magic armed off the side as well..

post-857-0-31579800-1355087507_thumb.jpg

I've been working with the C300 a lot recently and I mount my QRX in a BEC with a Nebtek battery sled to the shoe mount on the optional handle rig. It's a bit weighty for shoulder rig work for the operator but mostly been working on sticks lately so it's not an issue. Headphone amp on this camera seems underpowered to me as well.

So, I'm doing a shoot this Wednesday/Thursday with a C300 and I'm wondering about return monitoring. They want sound on camera and I'm gonna hook up with my usual umbilical cord, but I guess there is no real return monitoring output except the headphone out? Is it worth making a 3.5 mm adapter (my return connector now is 5 pin xlr) or should I just set levels on the camera and run the back up recorder on my mixer for safety?

I feel that if the headphone jack is of poor quality, it might not be worth bothering with. What do you guys think?

I've been working with the C300 a lot recently and I mount my QRX in a BEC with a Nebtek battery sled to the shoe mount on the optional handle rig.

Pretty sure that handle (if you're talking about the one I'm thinking of) can go in backwards, which puts the weight a bit more central/to the back.

So, I'm doing a shoot this Wednesday/Thursday with a C300 and I'm wondering about return monitoring. They want sound on camera and I'm gonna hook up with my usual umbilical cord, but I guess there is no real return monitoring output except the headphone out? Is it worth making a 3.5 mm adapter (my return connector now is 5 pin xlr) or should I just set levels on the camera and run the back up recorder on my mixer for safety?

I feel that if the headphone jack is of poor quality, it might not be worth bothering with. What do you guys think?

You should monitor the audio off tape.

I recently did a C300 shoot and got bitten by something in the audio setup menu! No worries, I was recording double-system, so all good in post. I also noticed the non-standard XLR input positions and labeling (as mentioned above in this thread) with CH2 on the left and CH1 on the right. It's easy to reverse your inputs unless you slow down enough to catch that. What bit me was something inside the audio menu. There is a setting under "AUDIO INPUT" for "XLR REC CHANNEL." The options are to choose "CH1" or "CH1/CH2." As I wanted both channels recording independently, I set it to the later, "CH1/CH2," thinking that made sense. But what that did was to feed both camera channels from the CH1 input (redundant mono) and disconnect the CH2 input feed altogether. I discovered on a playback that my CH2 feed was not recording, so I then switched from "CH1/CH2" to "CH1" in that same menu. This properly enabled CH1 and CH2 recording, but the icon on the viewfinder display still indicated "CH1/CH2." What the…are these camera manufacturer's thinking?!

I recently did a C300 shoot and got bitten by something in the audio setup menu! No worries, I was recording double-system, so all good in post. I also noticed the non-standard XLR input positions and labeling (as mentioned above in this thread) with CH2 on the left and CH1 on the right. It's easy to reverse your inputs unless you slow down enough to catch that. What bit me was something inside the audio menu. There is a setting under "AUDIO INPUT" for "XLR REC CHANNEL." The options are to choose "CH1" or "CH1/CH2." As I wanted both channels recording independently, I set it to the later, "CH1/CH2," thinking that made sense. But what that did was to feed both camera channels from the CH1 input (redundant mono) and disconnect the CH2 input feed altogether. I discovered on a playback that my CH2 feed was not recording, so I then switched from "CH1/CH2" to "CH1" in that same menu. This properly enabled CH1 and CH2 recording, but the icon on the viewfinder display still indicated "CH1/CH2." What the…are these camera manufacturer's thinking?!

Yeah I got boned my first C300 shoot because of that. Why can't they use the standard indicators that ever other camera manufacturer uses? That's just moronic UI design if you ask me.

" if the headphone jack is of poor quality, it might not be worth bothering with. "

you would know if the audio is getting into the camcorder, and if there are major distortions, hums, buzzes, crackles, etc.

Yeah, thanks, I meant..........anyway, I got the adapter so should be fine :).

Yeah I got boned my first C300 shoot because of that. Why can't they use the standard indicators that ever other camera manufacturer uses? That's just moronic UI design if you ask me.

Me too on an erlier shoot. That Ch1/Ch 2-menu system is just damn stupid.

Always use the stereo indicator when sending tone, on/off on L channel.. then you know if you are receiving 2 separate channels.

C300 Is not that much different from old school shoulder mount Varicams and XDCams. we just have to self power our receivers and get creative about where to mount them. Previous generation ENG cameras never had dependable timecode generators built in either..

At the end of the day its usually the shooters that suffer with a big clunky rig.

• 2 weeks later...

All the small Sony cams (at least back ti the Z1U) do that CH1/CH2 thing. Had a fellow sound mixer get burned by that pretty hard in a reality shoot four years ago when he didn't know the camera did that. Ended up with no audio once he killed the lav and thought he was just booming.

I've always used the pulsing left channel on the 552 and that saves me.

• 1 month later...