Denecke SB-T : Using A Single Unit to Feed TWO Cameras ??

mikefilosa

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been able to convince a client on the merits of

Tri-Level Sync....  today, in comes a client who cares !

We are working with a pair of newer Panasonic P2 "500s" and I won't have access to them beforethis due to my road schedule.... when the cams arrive, I'll be in transit.... we meet on "show day" ...

(We are dealing with a two-hour stage performance)

I just have one SBT box -

In a hardwired, multi-cabled situation, would a mere split of the TC and Vid / outs work on a two camera project ???  Has anyone tried this in the past ?  Is there enough signal / poop to drive

two sets of inputs ?

Of course, we'll all be on common tech power...... 

I'll be recording 8 tracks with BoomRecorder and a MOTU Traveller...

The safest alternative, of course, is to acquire more SBTs, but I'm a bit curious here ..  it seems to me that a hardwired split (with no more than 25-50' separation camera to camera) might be OK..

Comments / Observations most welcome .... 

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta Field Production, Inc

Hi Mike,

The SB-T is designed to drive a single 75 Ohm load. By splitting the signal in two, you reduce the load resistance by 1/2. This will reduce the video signal levels. I doubt that the cameras will be able to lock to the reference at a lower level than expected. It all depends on the design. Scott's suggestion may work as well if you can't get a hold of a second box.

Best Regards,

Charlie

Thanks men..... kind of an ah-duh moment here.....

Of course I've done that dozens and dozens of times on simple video projects that don't involve secondary audio recording and local TC generation .... it certainly is the way to go here.... 

I don't know why it didn't just "come to me"... 

Being hardwired does make things a bit easier ... 

Scott, thanks for the link.... from the looks of it, I think I'll be seeing this camera a good bit....

Many, locally, have been chomping at the bit for it's release....

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta