Foam Windscreen for 416

bmfsnd

Hi guys,

I've been using a random foam windscreen for my Senny 416. I think it was originally for the ME66 because I need to add an extra rubber band to it to stay gripped to the mic.

The sound comes in is a bit muffled though, and doesn't capture sibilance well.

I noticed that these screens are typically around $50, but is that the norm, or are there other cost-effective alternatives? I like using these in low-profile situations that do not require the extra protection from my Softie.

Thanks!

The Wind-Tech windscreens aren't bad, and are very affordable (maybe $25 or so):

http://www.wind-tech.net/Windscreens.php

I generally always use at least a foam windscreen with boom mikes indoors, if only to protect the microphone, and also to help cushion the blow in the event the actor gets nailed in the head with it.

I use a 1/4" white felt elastic ring, like those used to secure ponytails on long hair. I learned this after using white tape on a $50 Schoeps windscreen and almost ripping it while removing the tape at the end of the day. The elastic rings will not permanently deform the foam nor interfere with sound quality (to my ears).

I use a 1/4" white felt elastic ring, like those used to secure ponytails on long hair. I learned this after using white tape on a $50 Schoeps windscreen and almost ripping it while removing the tape at the end of the day. The elastic rings will not permanently deform the foam nor interfere with sound quality (to my ears).

Boo for tape...yay for scrunchies ;D

As I'm about to fall into bed for a 6AM call, here's a quick shot of the "Boom-O-Ring" for the MKH50. Somebody should make a series of these especially for pro sound and charge $50 apiece for them. (I think a package of "Goodies" hair ties are about 99 cents for a dozen at the drug store.)

In the case of the smaller windscreens, we had to use a razor blade to make them a little smaller and stitch them up with Crazy Glue. But I think this is a much better way to go than the usual 1/4" white tape, which will inevitably rip off some of the foam. The elastic or plastic rings don't cause any wear at all, and will stay on the foam just by friction.

post-261-0-18080100-1343795307.jpg

Another way of securing a loose fitting foam windshield is to put 3 "O" rings around the mic itself and then slide the foam over that...it then sits off the mic and doesn't make any sound as a loose fitting one might...

BVS

Hey Marc,

Would you mind if I shared the link to your post and photo with Goody on FB? Having been in good-natured correspondence with them in the past (on the sad demise of the universal availability of their excellent Goody Bead cable holders), thought it might be fun to tell 'em they're back in the film/tv game.

It's a courtesy to the camera operator.

IMO, if you're a good boom op you should know you frame line and be able to see for yourself when you're in the frame. Just guessing there's a bit of a difference in work pace and set ethics in the states than over here, but over here it's AOK to request a monitor from an AC or whatever to be able to see the shot yourself...

I've worked with the white tape, and truly I've gained nothing from it... I'd much rather have a windscreen that doesn't draw attention to it, cus suddenly the cam ops will yell "You were in the frame" when in fact it was something else, like a flower (has happened to me once or thrice. Funny story btw) Oh they do that anyway.. whatever..

But I'd much rather have them not even look at my mic other than in the camera. One TV series I boomed I had that white collar thing on the windscreen, and the AC couldn't stop looking up from her monitor and the lens, and she got worried after basically every take. After like two weeks I think the DP told her to calm down. He said:

"I didn't see it so it isn't there."

The nervousness that little piece of tape stirred up could very well been the start of a big argument.. So I took it off.

416 needs some kind of windscreen always. The sightest wind, AC (yeah I know no one has ever shot with the AC on, just hypothetical) or movement will rumble it. I've never had a foam feel too dull with this mic. If anything the 416 can be too much on the sibilance. I've often wished for a windscreen alternate to knock down more of the S's on certain subjects. Anyone know of a good "high cut" windscreen that I could slip on to take out hard S's? Most of the time moving mic away or off axis doesn't do what I want or has too many drawbacks.

Why would you what a white anything on the mic? If it happens to dip in the shot it will be more noticeable. and if they decide to use that shot, will draw attention to the viewers eye. Best to leave black.

We can still see a black windscreen in post. I'd rather the camera operator catch it and comment, so we're aware of the frame line.

I agree with the Senator that the other choice would be to use a light-color windscreen. But I've had actors tell me, "hey, that's really distracting," and so I went back to a conventional black windscreen just to avoid issues. (And no, I did not say, "a pro would be able to avoid the windscreen and would concentrate on their performance.")

Strangely, the same actors don't comment on the giant gray Rycote zeppelins when we're outside... And trust me, those are extremely visible when they dip into the frame.

BTW, I've personally fixed booms poking into frames maybe 500 times in post during color correction. (That number may be low.) It's not a big deal -- blow the picture up 1% or 2% and zoom in. Not the end of the world. People get way, way too crazed about this stuff. Heck, you can paint the boom out of the picture for about 50 cents. Smart directors will know this, as long as the boom isn't bonking the actor on the head.

Would you mind if I shared the link to your post and photo with Goody on FB?

Sure, no problem.

The issue of whether to accommodate the camera department with an identifying ring of tape on the windscreen is really moot. If they request it, how can one refuse without being seen as uncooperative? Moreover, I agree that it's preferable to spot the dipped mike at the time rather than in post where one may be able to correct by tightening the shot (probably makes it better anyway) but not by doing another take.

My own mikes have a very thin band of white tape and I had forgotten how I had accomplished that until I had occasion to rummage around in my desk drawer. I used Post-It correction tape available from Staples. (& presumably other places but it doesn't appear on the Post-It site - go figger.)

Here's a link:

http://www.staples.c...lies:129643:651

This is a fairly low contact tape so I wouldn't expect any tearing of the windscreen on careful removal. It's only 1/6-inch (4mm) wide so it makes a very narrow band.

David