Delay unit for Comtek monitor

Jeff Wexler

Topic not actually hijacked, certainly somewhat diverted but no worries. In any case, I have solved the current issue wanting to replace the Behringer unit with something else. Scott Farr came up with a very slightly used AD-411 unit which I bought from him. I made up the necessary cables and a little DC to DC regulated power supply (12 vdc to 5 vdc) and it works great. The delay times are rather coarse (for example, goes from 100 ms to 150 ms to 200 ms, etc.) so we'll see if it really works out in the real world.

post-1-0-58330100-1343932446.jpg

markertek.com (reposting the link that Vin found)

looking at my notes I found that 150ms was the preferred setting

Well, Scott, that's why I have it set at 150 to begin with. You also mentioned that the whole latency issue, camera feed vs. the various monitors in use on the set, is not a fixed point --- lots of variability based on a whole lot of different parameters. We arrived at 103 ms on the last movie since they seemed to produce the tightest sync for the RED cameras we were sing and the 2 main monitors at Video Village. I will not be able to tell if 150 ms will be a good choice until the next job. In any case, I am thrilled with the AD-411 setup --- very small, DC power and low current, no heat, etc. Though obviously not as flexible as the Behringer unit, it is the perfect replacement that I was looking for.

100ms sounds about right to me -- that would be 3 frames. One trick is that certain monitors add another frame of delay in the monitor itself. Trial and error will tell you if 100ms or 150ms will be close enough. SMPTE did some tests about 20 years ago, and determined that having sound sync early is not tolerated well, even by non-technical viewers; a half a frame or a frame late isn't as big a problem.