The changing face of timecode - your opinions

Twade

I guess the biggest change for the audio side of things at NAB could arguably be wireless timecode.

The Timecode buddy made a big splash in the waters.

Timecode over wifi!? Wahoo!

But Ambient did the same thing - currently, it doesn't speak to Idevices mind you but with their new firmware speaking to each of the ACL204's and it functioning properly I'm sure the next software update will speak to Idevices and their timecode app.

Then of course - Zaxcom Nomad and their ERX1TCD's - do a similar thing. The ERX1TCD can serve as both "comtek" and/or timecode receiver. The cool thing here is on drop out, the ERX1TCD is also a generator so it continues its timecode. And guess what? All on a wifi 2.4ghz signal. Could Zaxcom not build an app for the Ipad?

Technically pricing is relatively similar. So which is the better system and why? Why go with one over the other?

Is wifi a reliable transmission? It sure is nice to not have to re-jam every three hours. Anybody have any experience and recommendations? What features make one better?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you hoping a Zaxcom iPad app would do?Currently, the Zaxnet options are pretty robust. I typically use ERXTCD on each camera and each timecode slate. They all slave off my IFB100 that is connected to my Fusion. I also use a few as director/producer/scripty monitors. I've also used a single ERXTCD to deliver timecode and scratch audio to camera via a 1/8" to XLR/BNC cable.Personally, I would rather not introduce an iPad into that mix because the iPad has far too many downsides to be reliable on set. No interchangeable batteries, the screen refresh rate is too slow making the frame numbers blur, and the processing time from input to display is not fast enough (yet). Not to mention they break easily.Production Sound Mixing for Television, Films, and Commercials.www.matthewfreed.com

"All on a wifi 2.4ghz signal" remember that the term "Wi-Fi" implies a wireless network of some sort, typically operating in the 2.4 Ghz region. The Zaxcom system, IFB, ERX receivers (with audio and timecode) and Zaxnet functionality, all operate using wireless frequencies in the "Wi-Fi" 2.4 Ghz range. This is NOT the same as a Wi-Fi network, even so-called Ad Hoc wireless network that communicates with the various iDevices.

I have gone the Zaxcom ErxTc route for timecode. Feature set is great, but exterior build attributes are...delicate? Perhaps all that is needed is a custom formed neoprene type glove. Or a sheathing like the trx900La sports? I'm confident every erx owner would gladly chip in 15-20$ for a slick cover.

My apologies for the lack of knowledge then. You could theoretically throw an ERX1TCD on an Ipad and despite Mr. Freed's comments (and my agreement) people LOVE to use their Ipads as a tool regardless of the problems that come with it - brightness & blur being big ones.

BUT - we're getting off topic here.

I'm curious - which one, IYO, is better and why of all the systems made available?

I have no experience whatsoever of zaxcoms stuff, but on the paper, every other system just looks kinda... Redundant. I can't argue with having everything, and I mean everything (ifb, timecode, lavs, hops) in one package and in the same workflow. I just can't find the argument against it, other than that the others are tried and tested. But so is zaxcom, so...and oh, I can control all this from my mixer recorder!! I don't need a stupid iPad or iPhone to do that

I know ambient are great, and I would think their wireless capabilities would be good.

I like timecode buddy's idea, no experience in it

Had never heard of denecke till I joined here..

Zaxcom just makes more sense on paper to me anyway.

I can see the interest in wifi or transmitted TC for data management purposes (to script etc), but I guess I don't see how using a wireless network for TC in its most used function--as a common time-of-shot indicator for several devices, is an improvement in reliability, even if the receiver is a TC generator as well (re wireless dropouts). We've had really good service from devices like Lockits and TC slates etc re holding jams for many hours on end, and in this case there is no reliance on a crowded RF spectrum by low powered transmitters. The main reason I used to use transmitted TC with cameras was because post insisted on record-run TC for tape jobs. This is a non-issue (usually) with file-based cameras, so using Lockits etc makes more sense, is less hassle, it seems to me.

phil p

No, you are not alone. I appreciate others thinking about all these alternatives and even trying some things out on THEIR jobs but I have little interest in abandoning tried and proven gear and methods. I'm one of the biggest Apple fans here but I am still quite puzzled by this fascination with trying to do things on the iPhone or iPad, even lots of things which are obviously inappropriate uses and disasters in the making.

" Am I alone "

no

Ditto. My clients pay for and expect professional gear that works properly. When they are paying for a timecode slate I don't pull out my iPad, I get the Denecke TS-3 that is stable, proven, can be read by the camera in low light or bright light and can withstand an AC abusing it.

I'll save the iPad for browsing JW Sound on down time. :)

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Films, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

I am not so attached to the idea of using an iPad or iPhone as a TC/insert slate as I am having more things talk to each other wirelessly. I know RF is already a dicey place to stick something as production critical as TC, but Ambient has ACN, Zaxcom has Zaxnet, and Timecode Buddy has whatever they call their technique (adhoc wifi UDP of some sort); I just want more of them to all play nice together, so I don't feel excessively locked in to a given vendor.

I'm one of the biggest Apple fans here but I am still quite puzzled by this fascination with trying to do things on the iPhone or iPad, even lots of things which are obviously inappropriate uses and disasters in the making.

That's exactly how I feel. I mean, jesus, the iPad is great, but it's not ideal for everything. I'm still puzzled by people who think it makes a good control surface for a mixer -- and the recording studio mags are filled with pages of that stuff for home studio musicians.

Am I alone in not being remotely interested in stuff that interfaces with iDevices? I want to use proper equipment that I can charge a proper rate for, that makes me look like the experienced professional that I am.

John I appreciate your point. I would like to point out as a Timecode Buddy owner that while it can be useful to feed iDevices... (loggers, directors, recordists - for making notes etc) the really clever feature is linking multiple units together (one master and unlimited slaves that sync when they are within range).

There is nothing stopping you using something like a Betso TCD1 slate (http://www.betso.eu/en/products/17-tcd-1-small-self-powered-compact-time-code-display-with-advanced-functions/) fed from a Timecode Buddy which would allow you that professional look.

I don't think the Ipad is a tool necessarily for the sound guy/professional technical department. I think it's a request from the production staff, or if not a request, a feature they'd like to use. I've seen it used as logging, monitoring, etc. Sound is just giving the option for timecode in the idevice to further enhance their roles, not ours. More and more we see people bringing their own headphones for comteks as an example. OUr devices, yes, stay pro - Ambient, Timecode buddy, Zaxcom - they just so happen to have functionality within wifi (or at least be able to hook up to something to display timecode).

The end of rejam, the end of drift, the end of these kinds of timecode issues may be in our midst. It's prevalent, it seems it's here to stay. I can appreciate people wanting to stay cabled to camera but eventually you get the, "well my last guy had a hop" or "my last sound person used smaller transmitters"

Is it a game changer? Or a fad? It's not necessarily new (Ambient and Katamount Scriptlinc did it before - just not as well) but certainly much improved. Do you work it into the kit or not?