Cleaning tape goo off your lav wires

berniebeaudry

I've tried all of the good tips to get the tape goo off my lav wires with varying degrees of success. Using chemicals such as lighter fluid, goo gone, denatured alcohol all have the drawback of making the residue soft and spreading it around on the cable. You get it all eventually but it can leave the cable somewhat sticky. I also worry about the effect it might have on the cable jacket over time and multiple cleanings.

I remembered reading about using an eraser on tape goo, tried it and it really works well. I'm using a soft eraser that you put over the existing eraser of a pencil. The eraser rubs the dried transpore adhesive right off and doesn't make it gooey. I'm going to try a harder eraser to see if it works any faster or better, but I like how gentle it is on the cable. You get a bunch of eraser particles but its way better than softening the adhesive and spreading it all over the cable.

BB

I may try the eraser method, but I don't like the idea of getting eraser bits everywhere. I have a method that is tried and true, and as odd as it sounds, the best method for removing goo from lavs and other equipment that I have found is to use a fresh piece of tape.

Adhesive sticks very well to other adhesive, and the fresh piece of tape will pull the old adhesive off of the wire or mic or whatever. You use a touch and pull motion - that is to say, touch the tape to the goo and pull off, touch again and repeat. Takes a bit to start working at times, but always works and never runs the risk of getting solvents on the equipment.

Best of luck, and thanks for the eraser idea. I'll give it a shot at least.

I may try the eraser method, but I don't like the idea of getting eraser bits everywhere. I have a method that is tried and true, and as odd as it sounds, the best method for removing goo from lavs and other equipment that I have found is to use a fresh piece of tape.

Adhesive sticks very well to other adhesive, and the fresh piece of tape will pull the old adhesive off of the wire or mic or whatever. You use a touch and pull motion - that is to say, touch the tape to the goo and pull off, touch again and repeat. Takes a bit to start working at times, but always works and never runs the risk of getting solvents on the equipment.

Best of luck, and thanks for the eraser idea. I'll give it a shot at least.

I've tried and like the tape on tape method too, but I find its really time consuming. With the soft eraser the particles are larger so not as likely to get into the screen of the lav. Working away from the screen, I keep the bits away from the mic head anyway. Working on a paper plate or similar will keep the mess from getting all over.

I've used both Goo Gone, wet wipes, and rubbing alcohol and haven't noticed any adverse side effects. I recently found out that rubbing alcohol also cleans RM-11s with relative ease. I've used Goo Gone on them too, but you then have to wash off the Goo Gone or else tape won't stick to it.

Mark O.

Bernie,

Doesn't the eraser pull at the cable? Are you rubbing it very softly?

h

TIA, t

BK

Not really, but I make sure to hold the cable taut and supported without tugging on the joint between the head and the cable. That's why I use a soft eraser. You have to hold it on a flat firm surface too.

I've used both Goo Gone, wet wipes, and rubbing alcohol and haven't noticed any adverse side effects. I recently found out that rubbing alcohol also cleans RM-11s with relative ease. I've used Goo Gone on them too, but you then have to wash off the Goo Gone or else tape won't stick to it.

Mark O.

The main reason I like the eraser method is it doesn't spread the softened adhesive around until its finally clean and doesn't have that intermediate sticky stage. I don't think it would work on an RM-11. I also use rubbing alcohol on those.

Might rethink what type of tape you're using to tape your lavs... I've been using medical tape with reasonable success.

That's what I use. Transpore leaves behind some adhesive. Sometimes it doesn't stick on certain skin or fabric so I use water proof first aid tape by 3M. It doesn't leave adhesive behind but doesn't work all the time either.

Just a thought, how about using a band-aid to hold the lav wire in place? The band-aid pad goes over the wire and the adhesive tabs attach to the clothing. Flesh colored & different sizes helps also.

Eric

I've use band-aids before but didn't think about putting the pad over the cable. Might work if the cable doesn't move around too much that way.

I just recently cleaned all of my lavaliers. My method is lighter fluid, immediately melts the adhesive, I use a terry cloth towel stolen from the last hotel I stayed in. Then after removing the residue, I use isoprophyl alcohol 70%, the interesting thing about isoprophyl alcohol is that the 70% solution kills everything, unlike the 99% solution which isn't as effective in killing random bacteria.

Whatever cleaner I use, I always use the alcohol last, as it's cleaning and bacteria killing effects are the ones that I want to leave on the cable last.

The eraser sounds interesting.

Cheers,

Rich Van Dyke

Thanks Rich,

I like it because I was able to quickly clean up some lavs on location before I used them. The eraser lives in my lav box and I can use it whenever I need it. Just used the top of the plastic box for support and containing the particles.

It sure does build up over time- tho sometimes I have to wonder how the goo gets on to parts of the cable that sees no or very little adhesive. It is especially noticeable white and flesh coloured mics. After cleaning about three months later the whole cable is covered with goo- even the parts that I would normally tuck away in a pocket or run down the leg to an ankle pack, that I'm sure I've never taped up! One of the great mysteries of life I guess