Recording on an Airplane?

alexis

Hi

I have some serious problem

i'm working on a doco about air hostess,lots of the filming r inside the airplanes....

we shot for a day last week and i had poor dialogues with very loud backgrounds

the jet's engines are very loud and very wide frequency range!!!

i tried some lectrosonics with AUTO NR, but no help

Gun MICS were not even an option

the only solution i might think of is working with dynamics microphones

Please help me

Thanks

:)

I know this has been brought up before, though possibly not for this exact situation. I also realize that hiding this ideal solution could probably defeat the advantages of it, but....

How about using the Cos 22 dual microphone, say in a tie, with a dual channel wireless TX/RX setup. Could the two channels be used to phase cancel the ambience to a degree and produce cleaner dialog?

Thoughts?

Eric

If you want to use phase cancelation you want one channel recording dial. and the second channel recording just jet noise,then phase reverse the jet noise channel and combine it gradually with dialogue channel until it's best. It's probably best to phase reverse the jet noise channel while recording--note it

also,try to have dial. take place in front of engines.

this worked well for me on a presidential campaign.

There is also a device that was demoed a cinegear a couple of years ago that would probably get rid of 50% of it.I think this happened at the coffee sound booth. I'd talk to them.

J.D.

" is working with dynamics microphones "

why..?"?

the noise is what it is, and even shotgun type mic's will pick it up, as it is throughout the cabin, or whatever space you are in...

also need to clear wireless with the cockpit crew, and probably with the airline operations folks...

It is what it is...

I've worked everywhere from noisy rock concerts to building sites, lost count the number of times if been asked " is that an issue?" when clearly it is and anyway, we're at a fecken' rock concert and they ain't going to stop for us to do a PTC.

At least it'll sound like you're on a plane! (they'll probably subtitle it anyway)

Grant.

Agreed: Tight micing, clear your wireless with the airlines in advance, oh, and watch out for the snakes!

MF snakes on the MF plane!

Yes. Speaking up is the key. It's not a narrative where a quiet performance might be required creatively, making it very tough.

As Crew wrote, it's probably not as bad as you think. The noise will be there regardless of mic used. Just get the mic close and have the subject be loud.