In the market... lectro SMQV vs WM

Beta Sound

I have had a MM (older version of WM) in my kit for 5 years or more. I definitely wouldn't be without it. It just provides ability to get good audio in less than ideal conditions. I last used it on a zoo keeper who was taking his elephant for a swim. I could have boomed it, but so much easier using the MM ! Lectro have an adapter cable available for your TA5 connectors, and also I have just discovered, a one piece adapter barrel, which I have just ordered. However for water use, you will need a waterproof lavalier anyhow.

+1 for Phil D I have 6 MM400 and I am planning on getting two WM very soon. They are everything proof never have to worry about what the talent is doing as they are sweat, water, toilet you name it and it can handle it. The MM connector is very robust too since it is filled with silicone.

The #MCATA5M2-WP (two wire mic) and #MCATA5M3-WP (three wire mic) cable adapters are waterproof at the WM end. The 5 pin connector at the other end is not. If someone goes in the drink, the 5 pin may get wet but the transmitter will survive. The one piece barrels however, are handy, but even ours are NOT waterproof.

Also note that the housing at the 1/8" end of the cables tightens to the case with a robust stainless steel thread. The relatively weak 1/8'" micro connector has no load or strain on it whatsoever. All the side and pull forces are loaded into the case. This also means there is no motion or vibration on the 1/8" connector to cause noise.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Downsides: Some people don't like the screw-in mic connector compared to the quick and easy TA5. The plug is not repairable like a TA5, but it is probably more robust because it's silicon filled. I suppose a clever actor may try to unscrew it and put some crazy twist in the cable.

Upsides: waterproof! sweat proof! bathroom resistant!

I almost always take my MM400 in my kit unless it is a lock-off green screen interview. You just never know what production will throw at you. Call it a backup if nothing else. I pulled mine out on a stage shoot that had a rain bar. Production said: "I didn't tell you about this rain because it's not like there is anything you could do.... I figure you can boom it as much as possible and we will just have to ADR it". The guy gives lines, it rains on his head, but he smiles because he's protected (insurance or something). No actual dialog during rain, but he gave lines right up to rain with no time to cut. I completely blew their minds with my waterproof lav. They had never even heard of such a thing, so it never occurred to them to ask if I could provide one.

I originally bought into the MM for a low budget horror film where the director wanted comedic spraying blood (red water) in a few scenes. It was also perfect in a rowing movie we filmed last summer. Rowers at race pace in 90F days with Philly August humidity. If the WM was out when I bought my SMQV and SMV transmitters, I would probably just have WMs and learn to love the screw-in connection. They are definitely on my wish list.

• 2 weeks later...

It's worth noting that the WM is larger than the SMQV, more like a UM. If you're used to the SMQV then the WM looks a bit like a caricature when sitting next to it. Also, for the sake of thoroughness, the button layout is flipped 180 degrees. Here's a pic. SMQV - WM - UM200C.

If you need ultra fast battery changes the WM takes 4 times as long.

post-4339-0-22526400-1345649598.jpg

We sell a kit for making or rebuilding the connector. Just remember to save the stainless steel outer housing for the connector as it is the expensive bit. The kit is not cheap either but you can do a fair number of repairs if you save the stainless steel housing. The internal electrical connector is just a SwitchCraft MicroPlug available from us or Digikey, Mouser, etc. The kit also has a detailed 8 page manual on how to make (repair) the connectors. If you are making a lot of connectors, you can buy individual parts. For instance, there is enough RTV to make 20 connectors and 5 MicroPlugs in the 3 piece kit.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/66-WPMC-3/View-details.html

http://www.lectrosonics.com/67-21357/View-details.html

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

different connectors. WM uses sspecial 1/8" waterproof mini plugs. if you already have mics wired with TA5 connectors for Lectro transmitters, you can't use them on the WM unless you get adaptors made.

We have adapter cables such as: http://www.lectrosonics.com/36-MCATA5M2-WP/View-details.html

Also, I'm working on a universal microplug to 5 pin adapter that will handle two wire or three wire lavaliere mics and line level all in one adapter.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

We have adapter cables such as: http://www.lectrosonics.com/36-MCATA5M2-WP/View-details.html Also, I'm working on a universal microplug to 5 pin adapter that will handle two wire or three wire lavaliere mics and line level all in one adapter. Best, Larry F Lectro

We will also redo this item for a micro to 5 pin adapter without an intermediate cable:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/34-MCABRLTA5WP2/View-details.html

Though with a TA5F plugged in, it physically makes for a long connection, at least the lever arm force is dumped directly into the strong transmitter body through large external threads.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/6/2012 at 2:49 AM, Phil D said:

I have had a MM (older version of WM) in my kit for 5 years or more. I definitely wouldn't be without it. It just provides ability to get good audio in less than ideal conditions. I last used it on a zoo keeper who was taking his elephant for a swim. I could have boomed it, but so much easier using the MM ! Lectro have an adapter cable available for your TA5 connectors, and also I have just discovered, a one piece adapter barrel, which I have just ordered. However for water use, you will need a waterproof lavalier anyhow.

Do you prefer the short cable TA5 connector or the one piece barrel adapter?

cheers,

Evan