could be nice for music playback etc

bendybones

I came across this device and

wonder is anyone else using it.

The kit includes the dictaphone-shaped transmitter and reciever (working with 1/8 inch jacks).

Also includes the 30pin-connector-transmitter for iPhone/iPod/iPad which you see in the foreground.

The other thing u see in the box is a USB power adapter.

The battery life doesn't look amazing and it works in the 2.4GHz band, so not ideal for IFB, but could be great for music playback.

Anyone have thoughts, or anyone using it?

The blurb says:

The Wi AudioLink iM is a full function 2.4GHz digital wireless stereo audio solution that provides up to 100 feet of secure, un-compressed 16-bit, 48kHz CD quality wireless audio connectivity.

I dunno... 100 feet? And if it's on WiFi, there could be issues with interference, dropped packets, and delay. But it might work.

Probably not very useful on set, the transmitter can address up to 8 receivers but only sequentially, not simultaneously.

I'm using a very similar system, the Audioengine W1, in the house to route music from my office to the living room. The performance is very good if there's a line of sight between transmitter and receiver, without a line of sight range really suffers and performance becomes barely acceptable. The range in open air is about 30 meters or 100 ft. The system has been replaced by their W3 system at $149 for a TX/RX pair which overcomes one limitation of the W1 system: it can address 3 receivers simultaneously. There's also the challenge of finding power or room for the wall wart, the mini-TRS adaptors etc. I've noticed a drop off in performance when all the neighbors fire up their wifi networks, during the dinner hour and homework time.

Best regards,

Jim

PS: And as Marc fears, there is a small delay, enough to be annoying if you can hear both systems at once. Dropped packets lead to stuttering playback at the receiving end at least with the Audioengine W1.

JG

I dunno... 100 feet? And if it's on WiFi, there could be issues with interference, dropped packets, and delay. But it might work.

I agree, 100 feet seems like it might be an exaggeration, or a best (albeit, rare) case scenario.

For playback though, that seems like plenty. Dropouts would not be fun though.

Probably not very useful on set, the transmitter can address up to 8 receivers but only sequentially, not simultaneously.

Yeah for IFB etc would not be great but for music playback to speakers to get a crowd jumping is really what I'm after.

So I wouldn't need to hear both systems at once either, so delay wouldn't be an issue.

Stuttering would be an issue.

That W3 looks good although I prefer that the WiPad Link can be used direct from iPad/iPhone, while giving the option of using it's secondary transmitter if the source is anything else.

I own one of this. Is good, quality is really good but range is not. 20ft more or less. I use it sometimes for a headphone link to my cart so i don't have to be attached or sometimes as a camera link in doco situations where i know i will be close to camera and they don't want a big receiver on it. A bit expensive in my opinion