Questions regarding Direct Output Modification

Rakesh Anderson

I have a couple of questions about direct output mods for a mixer I have. I hope someone can give me a little more insight.

The mixer is a JVC mi2000u. I've contacted JVC and they no longer provide support for this old beast.

My plan was to tap the hot signals from the PFL switch, and was told by a former teacher and electronics guru to ground as close to or on the power supply, and I could even ground to the main output if need be. I was going to use a 9 pin d-sub with a breakout on the other side, as I've seen others here use.

The advice I got was to use a heavier gauge wire from the ground of the power supply to the dsub on the back panel because: "Any crosstalk you might get will probably be from the different channel currents adding up and flowing on the same ground wire, so if you keep that wire large, and do the breakout close to your d-sub to minimize the shared impedance, that should be helpful."

This makes sense to me, but I wanted to see what others think of this approach, because I've also heard to avoid grounding to the power supply.

Thanks

RAkesh

make sure that whatever point you tap the D.O. from has sufficient isolation from the surrounding circuit, so that activating the PFL, for example, wouldn't introduce a click or pop into the D.O. signal, compromising its functionality. A resistive network, also for proper impedance matching, or an active buffer circuit can be used to provide the necessary isolation required.

make sure that whatever point you tap the D.O. from has sufficient isolation from the surrounding circuit, so that activating the PFL, for example, wouldn't introduce a click or pop into the D.O. signal, compromising its functionality. A resistive network, also for proper impedance matching, or an active buffer circuit can be used to provide the necessary isolation required.

Thanks Tom.