Wireless "Beta Snake" Cable

Mike Matthews

I just wrapped a reality TV gig at the Testicle Festival here in Montana (yep, it's just what it sounds like and more). The client wanted a hop to A cam and B cam and I was using my 442 and my DR-680 over the shoulder.

For A cam I used my Zax STA100/TRX900AA/RX900S with the STA100 fed from the TA3 outs on my 442. Since I already use the main XLR outs to send a mix along with 4 direct outs for iso's to the DR-680, I used the 442's TA3 tape out with a summed cable to a TA5F in on a UM400 for the B cam hop.

I kept on thinking about my 10 pin Hirose output and A return totally going to waste and it really bugged me. Basically I can almost retire my beta snake, since no one wants to be tethered anymore but I really want to still be able to use that send and return on my 442.

So I came up with an idea for a custom cable that would allow me to once again use possibly the best connection on my 442: A 10 pin hirose male connector on one end of an 18" cable with the output pins from the hirose appropriately wired to a TA5F end for my STA100 (or two TA5F's if you are using Lectro transmitters) plus a right angle XLRF to plug into a Lectro receiver connected to my A return pin in the hirose so I can confidence monitor using an attached a transmitter on the camera.

I can solder well enough to do full size XLR's but I don't have the soldering chops or the eyes for a 10 pin hirose, so Remote Audio is going to build it for me.

I am sick of wasting a great connection on my 442 and I really like to be able to confidence monitor. Camera always says they will listen on an ear bud, but it's not their job.

Has anyone built anything like this? I used the Google but could not find this particular cable anywhere. It's basically a beta snake without the camera cable. It seems like a cable that anyone still owning a 442 along with a hop would find useful. I'll let anyone interested know how it works out and am interested in anyone's thoughts on this.

Oh yeah, I DID try the Rocky Mountain Oysters. I've lived here quite a while and always avoided the Testicle Festival, but I figured since I was getting paid to be there...

Mike

If you were going that far with making a custom cable, I might think about something similar, but inserting a breakaway point 12" after the Hirose 10pin. Then add an extension with breakaway at each end and your standard fan out to camera after that. Then you could quickly swap your hops cable to insert a sandard ENG tether for static shots. Also, it may make it more convenint to wire other fan outs in the future if your hops technology changes.

Great idea.

If you were going that far with making a custom cable, I might think about something similar, but inserting a breakaway point 12" after the Hirose 10pin. Then add an extension with breakaway at each end and your standard fan out to camera after that. Then you could quickly swap your hops cable to insert a sandard ENG tether for static shots. Also, it may make it more convenint to wire other fan outs in the future if your hops technology changes.

I'll "third" the great idea by RScottATL, adding the other benefit that if one fan out breaks, you can swap over to a back up one. And just like if your hops change, if you buy a new mixer with a different 10-pIn configuration, you can have just make a new version of the first leg. A breakaway point allows you to adapt to breakage and upgrades.

Josh

A breakaway point also adds an additional potential for cable failure.

I've thought about doing this as well and have the Hirose 10pin sitting on the shelf waiting for assembly. It's a good Idea I think.

I'm still debating whether to shell out for a STA042 digital input for my TRX, and since this will change the cable design I have put the project on hold for now.