Anyone got the latest Air? wobbling between an Air and a Pro

I sold my old Macbook and my dated Mac Pro tower and just upgraded to editing full time off the new MacBook Pro Retina and the Thunderbolt 27" Cinema Display in a dual monitor setup with the laptop on a stand. I couldn't recommend switching to this world more. It cost quite a bit, but it makes more sense to me for those who travel at all for work to be operating off the new MacBook Pro. The days of needing a desktop and a laptop are dead in my opinion.

I also have a Mac Book Pro Retina. But one thing to consider in putting ALL your eggs in that one non-upgradeable, not easily-repairable Laptop is that if anything goes wrong with the Retina you could be out of luck and out of a working computer for weeks. All your programs are sitting on a non-standard interface SSD drive and you can't swap out the RAM to check for memory problems. You can't just pop out the drive and put it in another machine and continue on if you have a power or logic board problem. You are at the mercy of the "Genius" Apple support personnel. I always keep at least two other Desktop or laptop computers running all the time and up to date with all my frequently used programs. They can be older not as fast hardware, but at least I can keep working when my main machine goes down.

And unless you've got another Mac Book Pro from last year hangning around that Beautiful 27" Thunderbolt display will become a large Black and Silver paperweight.

Courtney makes some good points --- it is never a good idea to have "all your eggs in one basket" even if that basket is the beautiful and oh so non-standard MacBook Pro! Why would anyone expect Apple to build something that is just like everything else out there --- what would all the other companies out there find to copy? In any case, maybe what David Turner means is that he is going to use the MacBook Pro as his main machine (but may at some point have other machines to rely on if something should go wrong with the laptop. Regarding running two machines, I remember sitting with my best friend David Ronne at his desk where he had 2 computers running (PCs running some version of Windows) and just about when I was going to ask him why he had 2 computers booted up with same program launched (some CAD program he was using to design something), one of the computers crashed, he threw a switch and started working on the other PC! Sort of like when I asked Bill Kaplan why he was running 2 Fostex 824s on his cart --- he said he knew one of them would fail during the day so he wanted a backup.