Attitude is everything!

Going into my last film I was a bit intimidated by my fellow crew members. Many of them have an impressive IMDB list and have definitely served their time. I can recall sitting at the first production meeting thinking to myself .."man, I better be on my A-game otherwise I won't be able to hang with all these pros". I was a bit intimidated and had to seriously ask myself if I was taking a job beyond my skill level. I figured I'd have more to lose by not taking the job so I went "all in".

The production only lasted a few weeks but I was able to learn quite a bit from it. I'd have to say the most valuable lesson I learned was that "attitude is everything". My perception of the crew members I initially considered "pros" quickly changed as I saw them be-little their free help, treat craft services like crap, boss PA's around and make them feel unappreciated. Not a day went by that I didn't hear the same people complain over and over again about how much they aren't getting paid. A couple of the cast members had such huge egos that they had to be sure everyone knew how important they were. One of them specifically had us waiting hours before we can start shooting. The environment was tough, as can be expected on low budget work, however I feel it really made the cast/crew members true colors shine.

These are some of the things I did to survive:

1. I made a point to never complain about things I already expected to happen. I didn't harass the Producers and had always greeted them with a smile every day I showed up. It was no wonder that I was always paid on time, and on occasion ahead of other crew.

2. I always thanked craft services and reminded them that they are the most important people on set. In return, I got a special can of my favorite wasabi almonds delivered to my sound cart.

3. I made an alliance and a new friend with the key grip. I'll never forget him asking the AD to hold a take so that his crew can fly a courtesy shade over me so that I was no longer under the scorching sun.

4. I always made the Director feel like the champ he still is. He served his time and has made films that most people will never forget. I will truly miss working with him. On our last day he actually apologized to me and said "I'm sorry for all the madness you had to deal with". Hearing that meant a lot.

5. I was always ready to roll sound and made sure talent was wired quickly and correctly. I communicated with the AD and let him know exactly how much time I needed and never went over that. Anytime the phrase "is sound ready" was shouted out before a take I would reply with "always".

6. I treated all the PA's and interns with RESPECT! I reminded them on a daily basis how important their job is and how appreciated they were. For this, I was always taken care of, no matter what I needed.

Towards the end of production I felt as if I earned my stripes and was glad I took the project. I learned that a poor attitude gets you nowhere fast. Some of the people I initially considered pros weren't able to hang and may not even get hired again by the same production. Just before we wrapped the Executive Producer pulled me aside and said from now on I'm "his sound guy". After he apologized for not being able to pay me what he felt I deserved he said he wanted me on his next project that pays a lot better. Now I know Producers are known to be "talkers", but in this case I'm keeping a positive attitude about this and being optimistic about the future.

..and now I will wait to see what the Senator has to say about all this..LOL

Great story.

You should be proud. A good attitude will get you a long way. Perhaps you will no longer wonder why some "pros" end up on the same jobs where many people are just starting out, instead of being on a "bigger" show.

Robert

Yeah, half way into production I started to realize this. Some people on this gig were on their way up while others were on their way down.

My first day working as audio utility on a major series was like that, except absolutely no one on that shoot was rude. Great people all around, Sound mixer and boom op first and foremost for showing me the ropes very patiently.

Good job BTW..

- When I take a job, I'm in 100%.. Even it's crap, I put on my best face on.

- Allot of people always say, "I'm glad you're here..". or "thank you for coming".. I always come back with.. "are you kidding me.. I'm glad to be here".

- Walk around the set, and say, "there's no place I'd rather be".

- I offer help or items to each department.

- I always thank PAs.. what they do is magic.

Now.. the trick Michael, is to hold up a good attitude over the years.

-Richard

I agree -- great story, Michael. To me, there are valuable lessons to be learned even with the worst experiences. One can make a good argument that the bad shoots are better learning experiences than the great shoots.

Anytime the phrase "is sound ready" was shouted out before a take I would reply with "always".

That deserves a T-shirt!

Is sound ready? ALWAYS!"

The BEST folks I ever worked with, I mean best at their jobs, were very nice, low-key, totally together, unflappable, and respectful to all. The latter is just survival instinct--as was said--if that PA you just hosed is smart they might turn up as your producer soon enough, and nobody forgets that kind of treatment.

phil p

Long time reader, first time poster here. Hello!

Totally agree with these statements. I find sound is often the "forgotten department" in drama shoots (I'm usually on docos), but all my repeat work has been based upon attitude, punctuality and professionalism on set.

Attitude is everything, you're totally right.

It gives you self esteem and when you've got that, you're indestructible and you'll believe in yourself. That plus getting paid and a good vibe, feeling like your contributing to a story, the shoot = Pro.

If you were in World of Warcraft, you'd gained like 10 levels now ;)

Gratz! And keep up the good work

Enjoyed this thread. I get a lot of corporate shoots and the one thing that really surprises me is the dress code.

Ok hey , I am a senior citizen , went to a military HS , enjoy my jeans and t shirts like anyone else. For corporate I always try to look , well not church dressed but clean black pants and a collared shirt.

Lot of times I have to meet the CEO of a company and wire them. I always. Introduce myqself and explain my job about wiring them.

Always seems they start a conversation about my work and gear and I in return do ask and listen about their company and really do take an interest.

That is what is so great seeing what others do for a living

Any way back to dress code, really shocks me when I see producers,directors and cam ops dressed like they are going to a beach party.

Does anyone else see this .? I do not judge or profile by looks, or dress but I just think there is a time and place for everything

Done venting

Tom Maloney

Chicago

@ Tom Maloney, for me the best part of the job is the fact I can wear what I want to work everyday as long as I'm good and reliable. I've seen it all on set in Hollywood and I like this aspect very much. Now other more corporate markets this may not fly, but out west it's shorts n flip flops if that's your thing as long as you are a team player who does the job well.

CrewC

nice post michael :)

I am in the same boat, not a lot of experience, but, I found a really good attitude on set gets you a really long way.

It especially helps me because I am pretty fastidious on set in terms of coverage, and being friendly with the grip/gaffer is awesome because they let you borrow all sorts of mounting equipment, and being friendly with the dp means you get some leeway in terms of lighting or any other sort of visuals :) I am a bit of a plant mic fiend haha typically run 8 channels even when theres little to get.

and I always keep in mind runner / PA could be my boss next time so it's always good to cultivate good relationships :)

laughing a lot on set also helps keep the work rolling over enjoyably

Great thread. I've found the same things as many of you. Making friends, being polite and professional, but still able to joke around and keep things light goes a long way. After I win them over, occasionally, without me asking, I'll hear the gaffer call for the noisy HMI ballast to be moved away from the window for sound or fly a topper to minimize boom shadow, etc... Sometimes I'll have the DP or gaffer come up to me and go "soo.... am I totally going to screw you if I do XYZ?" It's nice to feel like we are on the same team. Film making is a huge collaborative effort and it is so rewarding when working with a crew that understands that.

Even when I run into the occasional crew member who hates the sound dept. for whatever reason and constantly gives me a hard time, or makes loud public "soundie jokes" (where they pretend to be kidding, but you know they're not.) I just kill em with kindness. By the end of the day or week or whatever, they usually come around. But if they don't, I don't let it phase me, because I did my job, got great sound, and was as pleasant and professional as I could be.

Back when I first moved to L.A., and didn't know any of you, I was doing door to door sales.

yup...door to door sales.

Anyway, it was very discouraging, and I hated it, but I am glad I did that gig, because my boss taught me one thing I'll never forget. A positive mental attitude = making money. I stick to that to this day.