Sound Department T-Shirts

Marc Wielage

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just about every time I'm working at a public/news event (usually for network news ) someone walks up to me (the only person with headphones on in the group) and ask "what station you guys with?"

Find out the channel of the local Fox station and the next time it happens say, "I'm with Channel 6, now f**k off." You'll probably get a response like, "Well! I'm never going to watch YOUR station ever again!"...

Mission accomplished.

Hi, and welcome...

" I NEVER set up sound until lighting is 100%. "

I do not think you will find much agreement with that concept here...

Maybe I should rephrase... I never set up my boom until lights are 100%. I set it up with a knuckle holding it down against the stand... out of the way... and wait until the cam op confirms the key is where it's going to stay.

In the past... setting up a boom in it's expected position was a guarantee that they'd decide to key from that side.

(I didn't mean I start at ZERO 2 minutes before it's time to shoot... although I've usually been an ENG guy... so I've had to do that too.)

And thanks for the welcome... I'm very happy I found this forum.

I read the whole thread to see if anybody missed this obvious one... I NEVER set up sound until lighting is 100%... and I still find the best spot to key.

That's a wonderful concept, but for some reason, it doesn't work on most of the shoots I'm at. One reason is: they constantly change their mind as to where the camera's going to be and what the framing will be. Directors are like that. And many times, I've been the victim of, "oh, on this next take, we're going to add another light."

Who was it that wanted to put a sign on the boom mic that said "place light here?"

Steven Deichen and I came up with a good one (inspired by Senator Michaels' advice):

Sound Man's Advice to Producers:

Don't Have Unrealistic Expectations!

Marc and I also came up with this one this week when the Director came up to us and said "So here's the problem..."

Your problem is just a solution

before Sound gets it.

Best,

Steven

• 4 weeks later...

here's my shirt

mm-codyshirt.jpg

if you're interested i sell them for $12 shipped in the US. they are printed on american apparel triblend. sizes small-xlarge right now.

How did you get the transparency between the letters and around the skull? Is there a way of saving "transparency"-information in a jpeg or are there only certain T-shirt printers that can do that? I just can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Or, as Col. Kurtz says to Capt.Willard in "Apocalypse," Are my methods...unsound??" To which Willard replies "I

don't see any method at all, sir." I'm not sure if this would fit on a T-shirt, but I've long used "I take the best equipment I can afford and use it under the worst conditions I can find" as my one sentence job description

for those who wanted to know what being a production mixer is like.

• 2 weeks later...