Zaxcom ERXTC users, what cables do you carry?

johnpaul215

Are you carrying a master cable with a ton of adapters, or a few cables for the cameras you mostly work with? Even just to work with Red cameras you could need two different Lemos for TC, and TA3 and minijacks for audio. I could terminate TC with a BNC and use the TC cables I already have for my Denecke sync boxes.

Other option, I am thinking I could cover my bases with 4 cables:

TA3 audio connection means Red One, so I could to a 5 pin Lemo

Audio minijack is a Red Epic or Scarlet, so I could do a Lemo 4

The camera (or device) that takes a BNC TC jack probably also takes an XLR for audio

The Red Epic Pro I/O module takes 5 pin Lemo for TC, and XLR for input 3+4 or still uses minijacks for tracks 1+2 (if I read the specs right).

I've only done a couple of gigs with my ERX's. Instead of spending a ton of money on cables I've asked the camera department if they can call the rental house and have them throw in the needed cable for free. Since the production is spending $1k+ per day for the camera it usually isn't a big deal to have the cable thrown in for free.

I guess doing this will get you by for now.

So far I have just been using the "basic" setup of BNC and XLR and then adding adapters for the appropriate inputs. Admittedly it can get a little sloppy but Velcro cable ties help keep it somewhat neat. Eventually I think I'll make a cable for each configuration with appropriate cable lengths. Need to find a cheaper source for lemos though. They add up quick!

Just 1 cable so far, 3.5mm to split (XLR) & (BNC). If I need to use with RED, I made LEMO tails I can just use a barrel with the ERX cable. If its a BNC connector on camera, I'm good to go. If I need to pad the XLR side, I do it in the ERX software. For DSLR's, I just use a simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, again padding in the ERX software. :)

Those that make their own cables, would you mind giving us a break down of the components used?

Cable type that is thin enough to get two widths into a 1/8th inch minijack, which brand and model of minijack and which type of BNC connector can be used on that type of cable?

The guy who normally makes cables for me in the UK says it can't be done, because the bnc's he uses need a thickness of cable that won't fit twice into into a minijack. So I had a couple made by Remote Audio when I was in the states, and they are fine except the bnc connector is absolutely massive, about 2 inches long. I can get in touch with them and see what cable and minijack they used, I'm just curious to see what everyone else is using. Thanks.

The guy who normally makes cables for me in the UK says it can't be done, because the bnc's he uses need a thickness of cable that won't fit twice into into a minijack.

If you're doing an XLR and BNC to 1/8" mini then you can take a twin and screen (single cable) from the mini into the XLR and loop out to the BNC on whatever cable fits best (a curly perhaps to allow for different audio / TC input locations).

Rob

Those that make their own cables, would you mind giving us a break down of the components used?

Cable type that is thin enough to get two widths into a 1/8th inch minijack, which brand and model of minijack and which type of BNC connector can be used on that type of cable?

The guy who normally makes cables for me in the UK says it can't be done, because the bnc's he uses need a thickness of cable that won't fit twice into into a minijack. So I had a couple made by Remote Audio when I was in the states, and they are fine except the bnc connector is absolutely massive, about 2 inches long. I can get in touch with them and see what cable and minijack they used, I'm just curious to see what everyone else is using. Thanks.

I have a breakout for the epic (mini & 4pin Lemo)

For the show I'm on I had to make 2 breakouts for the epic using BNCs (mini & BNC) because they are using the remote roll capability which is also on the 4 pin lemo

General breakout (XLR & BNC)

I use the Neutrik right angle mini, and solderable bnc from Redco. The cable I use is a mogami lav wire, W2697.

I would post pictures, but the cables are on set, and tied up on cameras right now.

hmm. ive made up some cables that are currently being abused in newcastle that have a BNC and a minijack from a right angled minijack.

send me a text at some point and let me know what you need.

I have a breakout for the epic (mini & 4pin Lemo)

For the show I'm on I had to make 2 breakouts for the epic using BNCs (mini & BNC) because they are using the remote roll capability which is also on the 4 pin lemo

General breakout (XLR & BNC)

Hey quick question here totally hijacking the thread but gotta ask.. So i m unfamiliar with remote roll. So correct me if i m wrong: you set up the recorder in rec run and then erx's timecode triggers start/stop the recording on camera as well? What typical type of work would this setup be generally used? Thx!

Hey quick question here totally hijacking the thread but gotta ask.. So i m unfamiliar with remote roll. So correct me if i m wrong: you set up the recorder in rec run and then erx's timecode triggers start/stop the recording on camera as well? What typical type of work would this setup be generally used? Thx!

I don't think the "remote roll" referred to here has anything to do with the use of the ERX. The reference is probably to a function of the RED Epic that requires the use of the same 4-pin lemo that the ERX has to access. Just guessing. I don't know of any function/feature where the ERX is used to remote roll anything. I could be wrong.

You are correct Jeff. The remote roll feature I was refering to is a way to hit record on the camera without touching it. The movie I'm on is heavy on the steadicam and crane work, so the 1st ac rolls the camera off of his preston.

I had to make custom cables for this because the epic remote roll, shutter, and timecode are all on the 4 pin lemo. The AC uses the red bnc breakout cable to interface with the preston, and I made an erx cable to bnc and right angle mini.

I may swap the mini plugs for xlrs when this show is done because bnc and mini seems like a single use cable, but bnc and xlr will work on most cameras. I have 4 pin lemo and mini for the epic also.

K

You are correct Jeff. The remote roll feature I was refering to is a way to hit record on the camera without touching it. The movie I'm on is heavy on the steadicam and crane work, so the 1st ac rolls the camera off of his preston.

I had to make custom cables for this because the epic remote roll, shutter, and timecode are all on the 4 pin lemo. The AC uses the red bnc breakout cable to interface with the preston, and I made an erx cable to bnc and right angle mini.

I may swap the mini plugs for xlrs when this show is done because bnc and mini seems like a single use cable, but bnc and xlr will work on most cameras. I have 4 pin lemo and mini for the epic also.

K

That's interesting. I guess a "standard cable" with TC going to BNC could be used with a barrel adapter and interface with the RED Lemo4 to 3 BNC breakout cable. That's something I could definitely see not being told in advance that they want to do, but would have adapters or cables to cover myself for.

• 2 months later...