788t Limiters

myke2241

im at 96k guys. i bet that is the reason why. Now the question comes. why does i cant i use limiters at 96k! it seems like a very odd limitation.

It's because they are digitally controlled (still pre A/D). Not enough processing power to run them while recording at 96khz.

I'd really love a 788t that had fixed analogue limiters like all other 7-series recorders so that there would be no such drawback.

It's because they are digitally controlled (still pre A/D). Not enough processing power to run them while recording at 96khz.

I'd really love a 788t that had fixed analogue limiters like all other 7-series recorders so that there would be no such drawback.

i came from a 744t and i guess i took the limiters for granted. I also didnt know the limiters were digital in the 788t. i always thought the limiters were digitally controlled analogue limiters interesting..

i always thought the limiters were digitally controlled analogue limiters interesting..

You're correct, they're still analogue, the limiting happens pre-A/D. Just digitally controlled, which is what allows them to be adjustable. But I'd take the fixed/non-adjustable 744 limiters over that any day for them to work at 96khz.

I'm curious why you would need a limiter at 96k.

recording fire arms. ammo is kinda pricey depending on what you are firing. it helps to have good limiters for the first few test shots. also during some BG recordings. you sometimes have surprises. they are just safeties but i honestly wanted to see how they preformed.

Agreed, the 744t limiters sound better. SD pretty much added a compressor here.

recording fire arms. ammo is kinda pricey depending on what you are firing. it helps to have good limiters for the first few test shots. also during some BG recordings. you sometimes have surprises. they are just safeties but i honestly wanted to see how they preformed.

Agreed, the 744t limiters sound better. SD pretty much added a compressor here.

I believe the 788T limiter settings are set up as indicated below but just in case, here's a note from Sound Devices re: limiters:

How do I make the 788T limiter sound like the limiter on the 702/702T/722/744T?

The 702, 702T, 722, 744T, and 788T all incorporate analog limiters but the control and characteristics of the 788T limiters are slightly different. The 702, 702T, 722, and 744T have a fixed -4 dBFS threshold, 5 ms attack time, 20:1 ratio, and 200 ms release time. The 788T limiters have a variable threshold, release, and knee, and a fixed 2 ms attack time and an Infinite:1 ratio.

To make the 788T Limiter sound similar to the 702/702T/722/744T Limiter, follow these steps.

• Set the Setup Menu option INPUT: LIMITER THRESHOLD to -4 dBFS.
  • Set the Setup Menu option INPUT:LIMITER RECOVERY to 200 ms.
  • Set the Setup Menu option INPUT: LIMITER KNEE to Hard-Knee with 20:1 ratio.
  • Set the trim levels so that the normal level is about -20 and peaks around -12 dBFS.

Taken from: http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/recorders/788t-limiters/

I believe the 788T limiter settings are set up as indicated below but just in case, here's a note from Sound Devices re: limiters:

How do I make the 788T limiter sound like the limiter on the 702/702T/722/744T?

The 702, 702T, 722, 744T, and 788T all incorporate analog limiters but the control and characteristics of the 788T limiters are slightly different. The 702, 702T, 722, and 744T have a fixed -4 dBFS threshold, 5 ms attack time, 20:1 ratio, and 200 ms release time. The 788T limiters have a variable threshold, release, and knee, and a fixed 2 ms attack time and an Infinite:1 ratio.

To make the 788T Limiter sound similar to the 702/702T/722/744T Limiter, follow these steps.

• Set the Setup Menu option INPUT: LIMITER THRESHOLD to -4 dBFS.
  • Set the Setup Menu option INPUT:LIMITER RECOVERY to 200 ms.
  • Set the Setup Menu option INPUT: LIMITER KNEE to Hard-Knee with 20:1 ratio.
  • Set the trim levels so that the normal level is about -20 and peaks around -12 dBFS.

Taken from: http://www.sounddevi.../788t-limiters/

Thanks Dan.

I agree with many of you here. The limiters on the 788 are no good, and if they are ever engaged on a take, that take is useless. I have disabled all limiters on mine because if for whatever reason I clip on a take, that take still sounds better than if they hit a limiter. Like many of you, would love the fixed limiters of the other SD products.

I agree with many of you here. The limiters on the 788 are no good, and if they are ever engaged on a take, that take is useless. I have disabled all limiters on mine because if for whatever reason I clip on a take, that take still sounds better than if they hit a limiter. Like many of you, would love the fixed limiters of the other SD products.

Well, I guess I have been making "useless" recordings for years with my 788T then. A bit strong, don't you think? They can be tuned to sound very nice with a little bit of tuning IMHO, If you are hitting them so hard to make it sound useless you might be doing it wrong.

Well, I guess I have been making "useless" recordings for years with my 788T then. I bit strong, don't you think? They can be tuned to sound very nice with a little bit of tuning IMHO, If you are hitting them so hard to make it sound useless you might be doing it wrong.

Yes I've been making useless recordings every day as well :(:)

I agree they're not very good. Useless is a bit strong. I run identical signals into my 788T and 744T, and where the 744T holds on nicely, the 788T does not. I disengage my limiters on the ISO tracks, relying on the Solice for the rare pre-fade slam.

My choice on limiter for 788T is

-3dB, soft 20:1, 200ms

Robert