Horizontal Real Estate

Its a quote I borrowed from Eric Burge... Just made 2 of these  (modified 2G carts) for a lighting bloke here in AUS. Thought it might give a few of you ideas.

The larger sliding shelves are for a grand MA ultra light console - they will take up the entire shelf but only weigh13.6kg, not much more than an O1V's 12.5kg. The other shelf - which is reversable is for a laptop. Up above on the half width shelf will sit monitors.

Yep, thats a coffee cup holder with coffee cup on end.

RS

post-708-130815075231_thumb.jpg

post-708-130815075237_thumb.jpg

I don't use Rob's carts but have been using his boom holders for many years. I added the coffee cup holder to my cart about 12 months ago and just about every craft service person in town is now trained as to it's location and purpose. Thourouhly recommended.

David Madigan

Auckland, New Zealand.

Thanks David, I even use them myself... And Phil, since you ask as seen in picture AUD$2145.00 - (I gave him a further discount though, because he bought two) - coffee cup holder was free.

Are you thinking of becoming a future RastOrder client???

Thinking, dreaming and lusting, but also still "earning"...  I've mostly made or modded my own over many years but haven't approached your level.  Maybe after the new year, if taxes don't kill me....

Philip Perkins

• 9 months later...

2 x 2G carts I have built recently.

The Pickup/Ute version was for AJ, to mount his steadicam on the bed area and have a large drawer and extra slide out work area.

The other one was for Soundie Grant who has his main mixer and laptop on side by side slide out shelves. The boom pole attachments are on one end and an antenna pole setup at the cart rear. He keeps his mixer bag setup on the top shelf area wired up. But its ready to disconnect when he has to go mobile.

Too easy.

regards to everyone.

Rob S

post-708-13081507789_thumb.jpg

post-708-130815077896_thumb.jpg

post-708-130815077901_thumb.jpg

post-708-130815077905_thumb.jpg

2 x 2G carts I have built recently.

The Pickup/Ute version was for AJ, to mount his steadicam on the bed area and have a large drawer and extra slide out work area.

The other one was for Soundie Grant who has his main mixer and laptop on side by side slide out shelves. The boom pole attachments are on one end and an antenna pole setup at the cart rear. He keeps his mixer bag setup on the top shelf area wired up. But its ready to disconnect when he has to go mobile.

Too easy.

regards to everyone.

Rob S

OO!  OO!  Some pix w/ the gear on this cart, please!

Philip Perkins

Thanks guys.,

I really appreciate the interest & feedback shown for my carts on this forum.

Much like I appreciate seeing the pictures of the many other carts designed & often built by other Soundies worldwide. With their innovative solutions to their own particular needs, keep it up.

I have asked Grant for some photos of his cart with equipment on it...

Rob S

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Thought I would share these with you.

David Madigan's follow cart 2G residing in a magnificent setting in NZ.

Also AJ's steadicam 2G in AUS & his comments to me...

Hi Rob,

Hows things?

Heres a few Photos of my cart from a film I did in Adelaide Last year.

After 10 weeks of bashing around Adelaide and the surrounding hills and beaches, the cart still works great!

Saves time, my back and my sanity, thats for sure...

Cheers,

.AJ

end quote

3 D's 2g follow.jpg

Resize AJ's cart with camera on 4.jpg

Hi Rob, I noticed that you have used casters from a wheel chair on your cart. I used to use the same kind on my cart and found that they

are really not as sturdy as they look. Mine started bending out where the threaded shaft bolts to the aluminium yoke. And the bearing race started to get crushed.

I switched to these casters that I saw on the "Rock & Roller cart" . I had drill a new hole for the axel, but I have a whole lot more

confidence that they will hold up. As the ball bearing race is much bigger plus its all steel.

Best Regards,

KKS

post-272-130815079396_thumb.jpg

Kevin, thanks for your input - it looks like you are using a similar wheelbrake setup to my 2G - love your rear wheels.

I am constantly researching & trying to source wheels & castors, particularly lately as I have been playing around with modifying a magliner style cart - and also re-designing my RMC cart.

I havn't sourced castors like yours, but have found some similar.

Still I like the ones I use, mainly because they are light & run easy. The steel shaft is bolted to the cast fork passing through 2 bearings in the bearing housing that attaches to the cart.

I had someone look up the bearing specs & was told they (2 in each housing) are rated at a static vertical load (as in the position they are used) of 200 Kg.

So I think I will stick with them for the time being, but I am always open to improvement. I do encourage people to have the double bogie setup, which helps carry the load, but it also helps it go over soft or wet ground.

Rob Stalder

Kevin, just looking at the pics of your cart on JW's new cart page, I noticed that the top 2 seem to have the wheelchair forks you mentioned. They seem to be mounted very differently from mine. Do you by any chance have any closer shots of them, or even have them still kicking around that you could take a pic of. I am intrigued.

Your cart is cleverly done also - looks like you have taken your studio mixing console outdoors.

Rob Stalder

• 1 month later...

Here is a picture of the front castor wheel on the 2G cart (as on my website). Similar to Kevins, but not the same...

Aluminium fork with steel bolt/axle locates into axle housing, through 2 bearings. This housing is then bolted to the side of the cart. Wheel is 8", plastic material with solid puncture proof tyres and 2 wheel bearings.

RS

2G front castor wheel.jpg

• 2 years later...

2g twins? just finished.
Welded and bolted - 4 x 11" steel wheels tubeless tyres - front 8" foam filled tyre in alloy castor fork & bush (with 2 bearings)
We dont use industrial castors on it.
153mm (6") ground clearence.
Top drawers - 540mm (21.25")W - 445mm (17") D - 153mm (6") H
2g cart will go serenely through or over almost anything - sand, snow, wet grass, mud, dirt roads and even the cobblestones of the urban jungle.
2g wil seriously impress people when you wheel it on set.
2g will not shake, rattle & roll - and endevour to tip your precious cargo overboard.
Rob Stalder

post-541-0-68156300-1311110275.jpg

post-541-0-14085900-1311110289.jpg

I love the RastOrder 2G carts and I hate the fact that I'm sure they are more roadworthy, more rugged and probably even lighter than the follow cart I just built. I never considered the RastOrder carts for my main cart since I really like my own design, refined over the years and based on Michael Evje's original design, but I did seriously consider the 2G for my follow cart. Ultimately, as you all know, I built my own and I am quite pleased with it (although I haven't had it "out on the road" yet).

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...