link input on SD 552

jpbat

The specs of the link input on a Sound Devices 552 are unclear on the user manual.

Is it possible to plug anything else than another 552, a 302 or a Mix-Pre in there ?

Probably yes, but any real world experience among you ?

(I would like to use that link input, I guess any -10db unbalanced stereo signal would work, but what do I know ?)

Jim : mucho thanks.

Exactly what I expected. This forum is flabbergasting.

Well, this is not the answer i would have to hear, so my project to hookup a Wendt X3 to a 552 mix bus seems definitely compromised. Bummer.

But thank you for taking the time to go so far in the details. Impressive, and so useful.

The specs of the link input on a Sound Devices 552 are unclear on the user manual.

Is it possible to plug anything else than another 552, a 302 or a Mix-Pre in there ?

Probably yes, but any real world experience among you ?

(I would like to use that link input, I guess any -10db unbalanced stereo signal would work, but what do I know ?)

You can also plug this guy in:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687518-REG/Cable_Techniques_CT_RX_001_RX_Emergency_Mix_Bus.html

After more investigation (thanks to Jim and Redding Audio), it appears that the RX Emergency box needs the special -nightmarish- cable to be hooked to the 552's link input.

So if I'm not mistaken, I can plug any line level signal in a 552's link as long as I use that -now famous- cable.

I'm gonna buy it and test.

• 2 months later...

Did you get any further with this Jean-Paul? I'm planning to do a similar thing to squeeze a boom into a 664 in addition to 6 radios by using, perhaps, an MP-1.

I too assumed it was just a -10 input but given that the tape out of the 302 is already -10 and the above cable is recommended for linking from that to a 552 maybe it isn't as simple. I'm at the fringes of my electrical understanding but perhaps its some kind of impedance matching?

Anyway. Did you have any joy?

Thanks for your help.

Stuart

(And Michael yes I have posted on the SD forum and will also be sending a lovingly crafted email directly to SD today)

I needed to run 4 Rx plus boom on my 442 and built my own rescue box. It took longer buying the parts than it did wiring it up and drilling the little box. I'm sure it will work with the 552 as it works with my 302 also. Only thing is the "extra" input doesn't have as much gain so you need to crank the master trim pot by 4-5db and trim back the other Rx inputs to compensate. My napkin schematic follows:

sury9egu.jpg

And pic of completed unit in the bag:

7y5ury8e.jpg

post-490-135125470792.jpg

post-490-135125475641.jpg