Tony Scott dead - SUICIDE

Jeff Wexler

Just read some shocking news, hard to believe it's true: Tony Scott, dead from apparent suicide.

Director Tony Scott jumped off the Vincent Thomas bridge near Long Beach on Sunday and died from his injuries. He was 68.

The Los Angeles coroner confirmed to TheWrap that Anthony David Scott of Beverly Hills jumped off the bridge and died on Sunday. That is the full name of the British-born "Top Gun" and "Crimson Tide" director, who has lived in Los Angeles for many years.

The U.S. Coast Guard told The Daily Breeze that a suicide note was found inside Scott's black Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge. Officials said that Scott climbed a fence on the south side of the bridge's apex and leapt off "without hesitation" around 12:30 p.m., according to The Breeze.

Scott, the brother and producing partner of Ridley Scott, is best known for high-octane action movies. The Scott brothers' company is Scott Free Productions.

His most recent movies were "Unstoppable" and "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3." He also was a producer of Ridley Scott's recent "Prometheus."

He was also in the process of exploring a sequel to his biggest hit, "Top Gun 2."

The Vincent Thomas Bridge is a suspension bridge over Los Angeles Harbor that links San Pedro with Terminal Island. It appears frequently in films and television.

Wow. I wish this were not true. I am a big fan of the man. Not his films per se, but nothing was more challenging, fun, and unforgettable than working w Tony. I was lucky enough to work for him many times. His BMW short film, ("Beat the Devil"), was the last project I did w him. Sad ending to a talented mans life. RIP Tony.

CrewC

I'm from a generation who grew up watching Top Gun, The Last Boy Scout, and True Romance whilst in my late teens and early twenties. Enemy Of The State remains one of my favourite films and I often revisit it.

It's hard to imagine what could have made him decide to leave in such a manner. Very sad news.

Interesting guy.... The VTB of all places.... How many times have we shot around that bridge.... I am sure he shot there a hundred times...

Everyone has their ...point.... I guess he had enough of something... Hope he can now find some peace....

Worked with him a few times many years ago... he was always polite..

strange, perhaps, but my first thoughts when I heard the news were along these lines:

" ABC News reports that the British film director had inoperable brain cancer...

Los Angeles County Coroner's officials said Monday's planned autopsy will look for signs of a serious health problem and that that is part of the investigation's focus. "

http://www.ktla.com/...0,6600078.story

strange, perhaps, but my first thoughts when I heard the news were along these lines:

" ABC News reports that the British film director had inoperable brain cancer...

Los Angeles County Coroner's officials said Monday's planned autopsy will look for signs of a serious health problem and that that is part of the investigation's focus. "

http://www.ktla.com/...0,6600078.story

You left out the last sentance:

Scott's family told TMZ.com that reports of Scott's supposed brain cancer were "absolutely false."

I guess we will have to wait for the Coronor's report.

NBC News, Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, and CBS News also picked up on the brain cancer story, but I bet they're just repeating the ABC News story.

These are sad times for journalism, when rumors start flying on the internet and nobody really knows what's going on.

Just announced today that Tony did NOT have a brain tumor... mystery continues (and is unlikely to be "reported" properly anytime soon).

Reminded me of this:

Richard Cory

BY EDWIN ARLINGTON ROBINSON

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,

We people on the pavement looked at him:

He was a gentleman from sole to crown,

Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,

And he was always human when he talked;

But still he fluttered pulses when he said,

"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was richyes, richer than a king

And admirably schooled in every grace:

In fine, we thought that he was everything

To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,

And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;

And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,

Went home and put a bullet through his head.

" I guess we will have to wait for the Coronor's report. "

which may, or may not answer the questions...

The ABC report I quoted did not have any disclaimer, which came after that report circulated.

There were reports of suicide notes, and "instructions", but no matter the final outcome, I di have thoughts that something might have been behind this tragedy...