Zaxcom- MAXX

glenn

post-511-0-95394000-1345461540.jpg

-EDITED by Zaxcom for corrections to specifications

Maxx is a powerful new tool for your sound bag. It’s an audio mixer,
RF transmitter, recorder, timecode reader/generator and visual timecode slate all in one small package.

Audio Mixer
Maxx has four full size XLR analog mic/line level inputs with 48 V Phantom power that incorporate the Zaxcom Nomad’s microphone preamps with NeverClip™ (patent pending). NeverClip™ prevents input clipping by using two A-D converters for each input channel providing enhanced dynamic range allowing an input to exceed 0 dB full scale by 20 dB. Neverclip provides an unmatched 137dB of dynamic range.

The four input channels can be mixed to a two-channel output bus over two sets of output connectorsthat can be individually con?gured as line, mic and consumer output levels. There is also a two-channelbalanced monitor return and Mono & Tape outputs. The mixer will run at all broadcast sample rates up to 192 KHz. Each input channel has a high pass ?lter, two variable notch ?lters, variable delay, and a soft knee compressor. An optional AES input is also available, this provides you with four sample rate converting inputs (2 x AES pair). When AES inputs are present, the Maxx can mix eight inputs onto the stereo output buss. Maxx output drivers are actively controlled. This maintains the maximum dynamic range at both mic and line level output. The Maxx headphone output is guaranteed to have the same dynamic range as the output. This ensures the camera audio quality is always consistent with what you’re hearing in the Maxx headphone monitor.

Built-in RF Transmitter (optional)
A built-in Zaxcom digital wireless stereo transmitter is optionally available on Maxx. This single RF
signal carries two channels of audio and SMTPE timecode to any Zaxcom ENG style receiver, to receive timecode you’ll need a QRX100 with the QIFB option. The Maxx’s built-in RF transmitter is designed to be used as a wireless camera link, this eliminates the possibility of level mismatch and ground loop audio distortion common to unbalanced connections between separate mixer and RF transmitter combinations. All audio is converted to the digital domain by the Maxx's A-D converter with a dynamic range of 137 dB. When using the Zaxcom QRX100 the audio remains digital throughout the entire path to the camera input providing audio quality only a hard wired solution could match. The RF signal is frequency block dependant, RF power output is 100 mW. A 35 MHz wide RF band pass filter eliminates interference to receivers in the sound bag. The filter takes the place of a Zaxcom FDP1 filter antenna. The RF option plugs in so it is easy to add and to change frequency blocks without a trip to the shop.

Recorder
Maxx comes standard with the ability to record 4 ISO tracks and  the two-channel mix output on a CompactFlash or SD card (with CF adapter). Files can be recorded at up to 24 bit / 192KHz with a dynamic range of 137 dB. 

Maxx Features
Features include:
4 analog in - mic/line 48 V phantom power w/NeverClip™
2 balanced audio return from camera
2-channel mix bus - output on 2 x XLR and TA5 (aux out) / copies of each other
Mono & tape outputs
AES outputs - 4-channel direct out + stereo mix bus
Input effects - 2-channel notch filter / softknee compressor / delay /
high-pass filter
Full timecode reader / generator
4-channels of audio on 2 x AES inputs with sample rate conversion
Records 4 pre-fader ISO inputs + 2-channel stereo bus CompactFlash

Transmitter option
2-channel audio transmitter with timecode, broadcasts to any Zaxcom
ENG receiver - timecode requires a QRX100 w/QIFB as the receiver

Transmitter option sounds good for those of us with Zaxcom hops. What are the physical dimensions of this machine please?

It would be good if output power of the tx were user selectable - I have been using my TRX900 at 25mW with good results, and it seems there is less desensing of my talent rx's on this setting.

Lets be very clear on this. Maxx is not a Nomad.

It has a very specific different feature set from Nomad.

It is however a direct replacement for a small 2 to 4 (or even 5) channel eng mixers, 2 wireless transmitters, 2/6 track recorder, time code reader/generator and time code slate. If you own a 4 or even 5 channel bag mixer for work with a camera this product will serve you very well. If you are mixing multitrack audio for scripted or unscripted television or cinema, Nomad is the way to go. Unlike the Nomad the Maxx does not incorperate Zaxnet. This is a distinct and defining difference.

I hope that the 2 channel audio with time code transmitter feature benefits are understood in that intergrating the link to camera in this way takes away the vast majority of problems encountered with the current technology. Having a single digital transmitter with proper bandpass filtering with no intermodulation and perfect 100% digital transmission is a vast improvment over seperate multiple FM hybrid analog transmitters. Maxx has been designed to minimize any interference to RF receivers in the bag with the Maxx product. Because the Maxx has a 100mW transmitter and a case that acts as a large ground plain the range of the link will be exceptional.

The Maxx may look like Nomads little brother but it is a unique design incorperating the best bits of all of our products and technologies. It will be available later this year if all goes smoothly or early 2013 if there are any bumps in the road to release.

Glenn

That's a nice machine! Would like to see side and back photos too. Hopefully it's not much wider than a 302 so it can fit in the small petrol bag. Glenn, any idea of availability?

I don't have the exact dimensions but it is very close to the size of an FP-33.

The side panels are very similar to that of a Nomad.

Having a single digital transmitter with proper bandpass filtering and no intermodulation and perfect 100% digital transmission is a vast improvment over seperate multiple FM "hybrid analog" transmitters.

Glenn

I understand the benefits of an all-in-one solution, but why do you always feel a need to make it so personal? This is clearly lashing out at Lectro. The use of "hybrid analog" in quotes is just snarky. I appreciate what your company does, but this comes off as childish and defensive (and it's far from the first time).

Just let your products speak for themselves.

There is enough room in the market for plenty of approaches. Zax, SD, and Lectro are all great, innovative companies... Can we just accept that and put an end to the underhanded attacks?

We can start a different thread on the definition of digital wireless but I can not use the term that they use to describe what our competitors do. As they are the competition I feel it is fair to compare the advantages of our system over existing technology and systems. I do not mean it as a put down in any way only as the correct definition of what they do. They make very good products that are widely used.

Glenn

I'd love to see the unit pictured with a QRX perhaps for some scale. mind bending for sure.

So no timecode compatibility with ERX units then?

Btw, I did not read anything malicious in Glenn's post. Reads matter of fact to me.

Unless you imagine the late Chris Farley reading it doing air quotes.

In a van down by the river.

Any AES42 support with the AES input option?

Also, can the AES inputs be selected as the tracks to ISO record?

Yes 2 AES42 mics are supported

Yes if the AES input option is present you can select them as any of the 4 iso tracks to record if you get the 6 channel recording option.

Glenn