Zaxcom- MAXX

glenn

To be more specific with my question,

Do these devices use d-a-d sampling converters or do they use fully digital converters. If fully digital, what is the cost in CPU resources / channel?

It seems like just using WC would be better. No cost of CPU power and no additional noise or artifacts.

Apologies... I am not a digital ubertechnician, just trying to help out.

Sample rate converting IPs have been around for many years now. Many of the Sony portable (think walkman sized) MD recorders and similar had SRC's on the digital IPs - the chips cost pennies. The nub of it is that they just work, and if you send a bunch of asynchronous digits into the SRC's, they come out of the other end in sync, and there are no problems. For me, in my relatively untechnical world, that works fine. How much more detail do you require?.....

Kindest,

Simon B

Do these devices use d-a-d sampling converters or do they use fully digital converters. If fully digital, what is the cost in CPU resources / channel?

It seems like just using WC would be better. No cost of CPU power and no additional noise or artifacts.

And apologies again....

My understanding is that there is no cost in dsp to each channe, as the SRC is a separate chip, on the digital IPs, and so the 'dsp' part of the mathematics is already dealt with by the time the stream of digits arrives into the machine. Sorry if this answer is too untechnical!!

Kindest,

Simon B

Glenn,

Indeed a fabulous product! Have been knocking on the doors of others in the last 4-5 years regarding this type of needed product, and alas Zaxcom fulfills it.

Some questions:

- Able to do M/S matrixing?

- Enough gain to handle ribbon mics? ie. 72-78dB of avail gain

- AES input allows for digital microphones such as the MKH8000 series or the Schoeps SuperCMIT?

A.

You can feed Maxx digital outs to Nomads AES inputs and have a 10 fader system.

It should not be overlooked that the Maxx can be used as 4 mic preamps with Neverclip to add to any existing recording system.

Glenn

Yes, but you can't send the 'NeverClip' signal (potentially over 0dbFS) down an AES line, can you? AFAIK AES can only accept 24bit audio.

Glenn,

Indeed a fabulous product! Have been knocking on the doors of others in the last 4-5 years regarding this type of needed product, and alas Zaxcom fulfills it.

Some questions:

- Able to do M/S matrixing?

- Enough gain to handle ribbon mics? ie. 72-78dB of avail gain

- AES input allows for digital microphones such as the MKH8000 series or the Schoeps SuperCMIT?

A.

1 - Probably, when it's enabled in Nomad it'll be in Maxx. At the moment you can do MS using the bus routing etc. Bit of a kludge but it works.

2. I doubt it. Probably the same pres as in Nomad.

3. Yes, there are 2 AES42 inputs available if you choose to get the AES input option.

Please keep in mind that my answers for 1 and 2 are assumption, based on previous Zaxcom products.

1 - Probably, when it's enabled in Nomad it'll be in Maxx. At the moment you can do MS using the bus routing etc. Bit of a kludge but it works.

2. I doubt it. Probably the same pres as in Nomad.

Please keep in mind that my answers for 1 and 2 are assumption, based on previous Zaxcom products.

You are correct.

This does look like a great addition to the Zaxcom line up. I was planning on picking up a Nomad 4 for backup as well as small bag work, but this will fit the bill nicely instead. The one thing that seems to be missed between the two units is IFB functionality. Of course it is built in to the Nomad, but now to use it with Maxx you have to buy and IFB 100. I love that Maxx has the built in hop tx, but if I have to add an IFB 100 to my bag it's almost a trade and not really minimizing much. A suggested option would be to have ERX receivers that are block assignable so the built in hop tx could send to cam and IFB. Again, not a deal breaker for me, just wanting the world I guess:).

Also, I understand that IFB use is more common with jobs a Nomad is suited for, but as well all know producers, clients, etc are requesting IFB monitoring more and more no matter what size the job.

Also, I understand that IFB use is more common with jobs a Nomad is suited for, but as well all know producers, clients, etc are requesting IFB monitoring more and more no matter what size the job.

Of course, you could also use the mono or tape outs on Maxx to feed an external UHF IFB transmitter (Lectro, Sennheiser etc). Maxx has no Zaxnet fuctionality, so I assume that no Zaxnet controls are fed out the TC out...Jack?

This does look like a great addition to the Zaxcom line up. I was planning on picking up a Nomad 4 for backup as well as small bag work, but this will fit the bill nicely instead. The one thing that seems to be missed between the two units is IFB functionality. Of course it is built in to the Nomad, but now to use it with Maxx you have to buy and IFB 100. I love that Maxx has the built in hop tx, but if I have to add an IFB 100 to my bag it's almost a trade and not really minimizing much. A suggested option would be to have ERX receivers that are block assignable so the built in hop tx could send to cam and IFB. Again, not a deal breaker for me, just wanting the world I guess:).

I currently have a Fusion 12, IFB100, and various Zaxcom wireless for hops and cast. I think this new Maxx is going to be a perfect small mixer to compliment my other rig! So, while some are bemoaning the lack of built in IFB I am thrilled with the feature set. I'll just pull out the IFB100 when needed...and being paid for by the client. I plan on buying the full blown Maxx next year when the need arises.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Films, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

Of course, you could also use the mono or tape outs on Maxx to feed an external UHF IFB transmitter (Lectro, Sennheiser etc). Maxx has no Zaxnet fuctionality, so I assume that no Zaxnet controls are fed out the TC out...Jack?

I wondered this too for our zax ifb100 owners, does zaxnet exist a la fusion/deva? Pretty sure from what I've heard, the answer is no. You could still send a TC and audio feed to an ifb100, and control any zax transmitters manually...

I wondered this too for our zax ifb100 owners, does zaxnet exist a la fusion/deva? Pretty sure from what I've heard, the answer is no. You could still send a TC and audio feed to an ifb100, and control any zax transmitters manually...

Of course, but not controlling the TX preamps via faders, slave transport etc etc. But who knows.

...probably Glenn.

Really wanting to hear from Glenn about this too. Using Maxx and an IFB100, can we have remote gain/audition/etc.. control Tx's?

So...still would like to know, TC port: during recording is it an input or an output?

My understanding is the time code will be selectable via a menu setting as either an input to receive code or an output to send it. So during recording you can choose to be master TC or slave from another source.