Zaxcom- MAXX

glenn

5 Channel with L/R mix tracks and 5 Isos would be better. Reality TV is either using 5 channel mixers or multitrack recorders. For smaller shows in which the majority are 4 wires and a boom, making it a 5 track would be more versatile for reality and ENG. The Slate will take care of the mini crap cams, and the built in camera send is perfect. Just add on more channel and 1 more track and I would buy it.

Exactly. 5 channels are the expected norm now in eng work, at least in my experience.

Exactly. 5 channels are the expected norm now in eng work, at least in my experience.

Well, it's NOT 5 channels and it probably won't be since Zaxcom already has an extremely capable full featured mixer/recorder (Nomad) in their product lineup. For those who absolutely need "x*x*x*" in their machine, pick the machine that can do that! If I really want a machine that is totally flexible, intuitive and with a beautiful and functional touchscreen, why would I spend the time and energy railing at Sound Devices for not having these things in the 788T?

5 Channel with L/R mix tracks and 5 Isos would be better. Reality TV is either using 5 channel mixers or multitrack recorders. For smaller shows in which the majority are 4 wires and a boom, making it a 5 track would be more versatile for reality and ENG. The Slate will take care of the mini crap cams, and the built in camera send is perfect. Just add on more channel and 1 more track and I would buy it.

Then buy a Nomad 6. It's exactly what you described. You have built in Zaxnet, mixer, and recorder. If you need wireless camera hops you can add that quite easily.

Or, you can buy any number of other products on the market. None of which come close to the feature set of the Zaxcom line of mixers, recorders, and wireless.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Films, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

I'm sorry but ENG to me is 2 wires and a boom. Anything more than that falls in to more of a reality or specialty job. And this machine will be perfect for those more ENG or small cast reality shoots(cooking shows, extreme couponing, baggage battles, any show with up to 3 people). Probably 60-70% of my work this would be the ideal machine. Nomad paid itself off quickly as this will too. Just have to make sure client is paying for us to use those additional built in gadgets!

I'm confused jack, it sounds like you're saying the AES is replacing the analog, so there's the same amount of I/O. It's just digital instead......correct of wrong please.

If there's 8 inputs possible (4 analog + 4 AES), and only 4 physical faders with no virtual faders, and its possible to mix all 8 down....then the 4 AES channels are controlled by _______?

Ok here is the deal with AES.

Without the AES option Maxx will have 3 AES output pairs - which is 4 direct outs and 2 mix bus.

When you add the AES input option - which you will need to add for the transmitter option - you add 4 AES inputs on two pairs. The input option also lets you configure the inputs as AES42 inputs. So you get 2 AES42 inputs.

So if you add the AES option you get 4 analog inputs and 4 AES inputs. To control the 8 inputs you will have 4 hardware faders and 4 virtual faders that will allow you to mix all 8 inputs to two output buses. At this point in the software design - though this may change - you will be able to choose if you want the analog or digital inputs to be mixed on the hardware fader or the virtual faders.

I find 5 channels is the bare minimum. 8 is pretty standard on the shows I work on. But, that's just my experience.

That's rapidly become my case as well. I think the Maxx will find a decent market at that end of the price range, when a bigger machine isn't needed. It's hard to imagine a better or cheaper small run-'n-gun system.

Though I am a little nervous about the one CF card slot. I'm often thinking about backups, and if the original recording and the mirrored file is stored on the same disk, and we hand that over to production, we no longer have the original files at all. If they lose that disk, we're toast.

Is there a provision for a second drive? I did read <hat> but saw no indication of an external firewire or USB drive capability.

There is only the single CF slot in Maxx. You could copy the MARF directory to a hard drive before you give the card away. Since the files are recorded in MARF it will be a very safe recording system even with a single media.

Dual or 3 media recording is of course available on the Nomad and is a key difference between the machines.

Glenn

Sorry your shows require 5-8 inputs. I have yet to need more than 4 when going ENG/bag-work kind of shoot...and the Gonad will fill that bill nicely. I really like the built-in mixer-transmitter link, and if the only extra I am attaching is a Comtek or other IFB transmitter, that is still going to be a nice, tidy setup.

And yes, I know it is the MAXX, but Eric's moniker will live in infamy!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I am sure all different types of wireless microphone receivers and IFB transmitters will be connected to the MAXX. The fact that it will still interface with any manufacturers wireless should make the MAXX good for any application. Putting in the stereo digital transmitter and the recorder allowed us to leverage our patented and patent pending technology at a price point that would allow any sound mixer to benefit from the features and the integration at a attractive price point.

Glenn

I find 5 channels is the bare minimum.

Than you might be better off with 552, 788 or Nomad. This is a case where one size doesn't fit all.

I have plenty of days when I only need one or two wires and a boom. So for those shoots Maxx will suit me fine and save my back - but the days when I need 4 or 5 wires and a boom than I can pull out my Nomad. Different tools for different jobs.

Than you might be better off with 552, 788 or Nomad. This is a case where one size doesn't fit all.

I have plenty of days when I only need one or two wires and a boom. So for those shoots Maxx will suit me fine and save my back - but the days when I need 4 or 5 wires and a boom than I can pull out my Nomad. Different tools for different jobs.

On the bigger days, which seems to be most if my gigs lately, I'm using my Fusion 12 and 4-6 wireless plus boom, IFB, and camera hops. So, the Maxx seems like a perfect small bag setup for what I typically do. I'm looking forward to picking one up when the need arises.

www.matthewfreed.com

I'm looking at the profile pictures of the Maxx, and I'm a little worried about how the Maxx will be sitting on the XLR's in the bag is going to work. Just seems a little awkward is all.

Agreed. Not sure how that will work.

On the bigger days, which seems to be most if my gigs lately, I'm using my Fusion 12 and 4-6 wireless plus boom, IFB, and camera hops. So, the Maxx seems like a perfect small bag setup for what I typically do. I'm looking forward to picking one up when the need arises.

www.matthewfreed.com

I completely agree. I have been on the fence about the Nomad for awhile because I own a Fusion. The MAXX will be perfect for me and the jobs that don't demand as much. I don't care about Zaxnet because I never plan to own Zaxcom wireless.

Well, it's NOT 5 channels and it probably won't be since Zaxcom already has an extremely capable full featured mixer/recorder (Nomad) in their product lineup. For those who absolutely need "x*x*x*" in their machine, pick the machine that can do that! If I really want a machine that is totally flexible, intuitive and with a beautiful and functional touchscreen, why would I spend the time and energy railing at Sound Devices for not having these things in the 788T?

Wow. Why so defensive? I was just stating MY OPINION.

I find 5 channels is the bare minimum. 8 is pretty standard on the shows I work on. But, that's just my experience.

Yup.