Zaxcom- MAXX

glenn

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking for a 2 channel 24/192 field recorder and am considering the Zaxcom Maxx, however I have serious concerns that Zaxcom's quality and durability standards have dropped after having suffered with four of their ZFR-200 products. They have been so unreliable and in-and-out of service so often. Will the Maxx be dependable like my Deva-5 or a junk like the ZFR-200's ?

I am looking for a 2 channel 24/192 field recorder and am considering the Zaxcom Maxx, however I have serious concerns that Zaxcom's quality and durability standards have dropped after having suffered with four of their ZFR-200 products. They have been so unreliable and in-and-out of service so often. Will the Maxx be dependable like my Deva-5 or a junk like the ZFR-200's ?

I was wary but my Nomad has been rock solid, very cleverly designed, and very importantly for me lighter with low power consumption for the wide flexibility and range it offers. As with many new machines  it might be worth letting the firmware settle down, but as it has many similarities to the Nomad, that might not take long or will be good from the start.

I'm interested to get one for something even lighter for those relatively simple but long trek jobs like the demo we were filming yesterday, boom and two radios, run ahead film, run ahead, film etc. etc.

The Maxx is not out yet, so how can one comment on your question besides speculating?

Well, actually, we can speculate quite accurately because MAXX shares a great deal of its architecture, signal flow, operating system and build components with Nomad which has been out for quite some time. Hundreds in use quite successfully. I don't think it is a stretch to "speculate" that MAXX will be a solid and capable recorder.

The Maxx is not out yet, so how can one comment on your question besides speculating?

I can comment with no speculation.

I've been beta testing Maxx for several weeks right now and I can say the build quality of Maxx is at least equal to - if not better than - Nomad. Maxx's software is essentially the same software that that has been proven in Nomad. So for the most part any Nomad owner can comment because Maxx and nomad are for the most part the same machine.

Zaxcom has been putting Maxx through a good deal of testing to make sure it comes from the factory with as few issues as possible. Will there be bugs in the software? Most likely Maxx will have software updates till it gets up to speed. But the same is true for any new product, from any manufacturer.

Whiteout was a Zaxcom touted feature for the QRX, whereby one side of the receiver would constantly scan for white-space devices. If it found one, or found interference on the freq the other side of the QRX was operating on (talent rx), it would issue a freq change command to a known clear freq. It was experimental and beta versions were removed from QRX firmware.

Centrally based tuning was also a touted feature (there's an NAB video from when the QRX was first released) that showed a Fusion controlling a number of QRX's: basically it ran through each one in turn scanning and then assigning clean freqs to transmitters in turn.

Not Nomad features, just general ones that were interesting, announced and hyped, but never eventuated.

Interesting features.  Not sure I'd want my freqs changing while I'm rolling, but in between would be pretty rad.

You can do a similar thing with the QRX now, all though it doesn't automate the process of changing all frequencies, if you link the QRX together (last one with a QIFB option), you can scan, choose the freq, and the transmitter will be auto updated.

" Off the record..."

so this is just more questionable Internet mis-information...?

hardly

" I have serious concerns "

trolling ?

" Not sure I'd want my freqs changing while I'm rolling, "

to get away from interference...

this is a feature on some systems already available.

" Not sure I'd want my freqs changing while I'm rolling, "

to get away from interference...

this is a feature on some systems already available.

As it is now, there is a gap in audio when changing frequencies. That's why I wouldn't want it changing mid take. If the audio was seamless then it would be pretty cool.