unpaid but worthwhile uk doc shoot - 4 days at end of aug

i wouldnt normally advertise a freebie gig, but my good friend is looking for a soundie from 30th of aug to the 2nd of sept for a doc about 70s and 80s british comedy in Blackpool. will be mainly sit-downs with the likes of Cannon and Ball and others of their ilk. travel, (decent) accommodation and good food will be provided. was supposed to be doing this myself, but sadly a job was pulled forward. these are good people and i 100% endorse them and their film. if you are at a loose end and fancy a good laugh for 4 days, then email hankstarrs@mac.com . further info can be found herehttp://funnybonefilm.wordpress.com/

you will note that phrases such as 'if you are at a loose end' suggest that i am fully aware of the constant scourge of unpaid work offers that we are bombarded with throughout our careers. i also made the point of including the word 'unpaid' in the thread title. if you do not wish to embark on a project for no remuneration, why would you even bother clicking on the link?

you will note that phrases such as 'if you are at a loose end' suggest that i am fully aware of the constant scourge of unpaid work offers that we are bombarded with throughout our careers. i also made the point of including the word 'unpaid' in the thread title. if you do not wish to embark on a project for no remuneration, why would you even bother clicking on the link?

Because that's what we do here!

It's a valid point, however, that unless this is for a charity where the entire project is being produced for free with volunteers (including the agency and production company), the producers are expecting to sell and profit from this project. That makes it a professional endeavor, with participants being entitle to compensation.

It's nice you were doing it for free for your friends, but now you are asking people neither you nor they know to take your place for free.

Things just don't work that way. Not on this forum anyway.

Perhaps you could post your paying gig here and not bail on your good friend.

Robert

fair points, gentlemen.

i was merely highlighting an opportunity that may have been of genuine interest to a fellow uk based sound recordist with a bit of downtime (which i no longer have), who perhaps is a big fan of some of the classic prime time 70s and 80s comedians, and am very disappointed to be treated with the same disdain and ire as a subway tuna-toting 'send me your demo reel' timewaster as i suspect the other uk 'opportunity' currently on offer will turn out to be.

fair points, gentlemen.

i was merely highlighting an opportunity that may have been of genuine interest to a fellow uk based sound recordist with a bit of downtime (which i no longer have), who perhaps is a big fan of some of the classic prime time 70s and 80s comedians, and am very disappointed to be treated with the same disdain and ire as a subway tuna-toting 'send me your demo reel' timewaster as i suspect the other uk 'opportunity' currently on offer will turn out to be.

I know why you took the gig. It might be fun. I grew up in the 70's UK. If I were there, I might give a lower rate if I thought profit was unlikely.

It's just been frustrating lately for many people discovering that other people work for free, bringing down the lower rates to just above free, and the bringing the better rates down to lower rate level.

I think your friends should understand that their friend is no longer avaiable. Because of that, they must now hire someone. These things happen.

Robert

Again, just to be completely clear.... I would record the Victoria Secret models with no clothing for free regardless of where they intended to sell, promote or profit from their endeavor... >:D

Other than that.... forget it.... I don't care who it was, from what era and how funny they were or are....or the quality of the Shephard's pie.. people need to be paid for their efforts... In the end, it's a job, a career an occupation... not a hobby, sport or source of personal enjoyment...

Now, an actual charity gig, where nobody is paid and any funds derived were to be donated to a worthwhile charity, I'm in if availible..

I think this is how things should operate personally....I agree with Robert here 100%

You had to expect something like this Dougie? They're your friends, but it's not 'worthwhile' enough for you to do this over a paying job, even though you '100% endorse them and their film' so why should someone who doesn't know them do it for free. The big question is, why is there no money? Looks like they're doing it as a for profit venture, so someone hopes to make money somewhere down the line, shame they're not far sighted enough to invest in the project more themselves, rather than expecting you or someone else to invest in it. I am available for those dates, but that doesn't mean I'm 'At a loose end' it means I haven't yet taken a booking.

There are places to find chumps who'll work for free, this isn't one of them!

having slept on this, i realise that it was a very very poor idea to make this thread.

if my job THIS week hadnt cancelled, i would have been able to make the time to work on this doc, but sadly i have food to buy and a mortgage to pay.

in my sense of guilt about letting my friends down, i made this thread without really stepping out to look at it objectively. i now see that it was completely inappropriate for this forum. my logic was that it would sound better from a fellow soundie than on mandy.com, i realise now that i stirred a hornets nest and all your comments are completely justified

i would also like to make it clear that i do NOT work for free, except under very specific situations. this doc is for a good friend, and the last freebie i did (3 day short) was to road test a new piece of kit in a relatively safe environment

in terms of payment, i believe that they are offering a deferment based on a set of full industry rates i quoted them. i didnt mention this initially because i usually read the word 'deferred' as 'blah blah blah' and knew you all would too

thank you all for your comments, i will think a bit longer before posting anything on this forum in future

Personally dugstar I didn't see much wrong in you posting this. If people/professionals/'newbies'/whomever are not interested in this nonpaying gig then they should have ignored it in the same way I skip over some members' posts!

The posts above show that some people think this was an inappropriate post for this forum, I do not.

Some members may think that the 'For sale/Wanted' section is inappropriate for this forum, again, I do not. Different people, different points of view.

I've taken 'non paying' gigs in the past because they have fitted in with my plans and would be 'rewarding' from other points of view other than money.

"Most epic storm in a teacup EVER" - absolutely.

"...poor idea to make this thread" - no, I don't think so.

Long live freedom of speech, long live freedom of posts.

Will