JWSOUND milestones and records made

Jeff Wexler

A couple of records were made in the last 2 days. The introduction of the Zaxcom MAXX recorder had 184 posts in less than 2 days. This pleases me. The other record comes from another topic (and I think we all know which one) which had 138 posts in less than 1 day. The first record breaking topic I think we can all be proud of and represents so much of what is good about this site... the second record breaking topic, not so much.

Jeff, it is the lifeblood of your extremely successful and interesting site, COMMUNICATIONS! We will all NEVER agree on anything...we will rant...we will vent...we(and that includes me) will probably at some point make fools of ourselves...less than stellar language will be spewed. Hopefully we will never raise your wrath, and be banished to the vast wasteland of www never-never land, like "what's his name"...who I don't miss!

Just a late nite musing and long winded way of saying THANK YOU for an incredibly fascinating and irreplaceable asset to our profession!!!

I LOVED that 2nd thread...I'm sorry I just did...I almost posted in the what you do between jobs post: Read that post and laugh out loud. Unfortunately were seeing more and more of this type of behavior...I hope one thread is enough. I can go back and re-read that one whenever I need a chuckle...just hope it stops.

My, my, what the board has been up to while I've been away. I caught the early aspect of the MAXX thread, but not the other one (which didn't take me very long to find).

I see a lot of myself in 'bluemalice', esp. that I come from a studio/music background and dove headfirst into the shark-infested waters of production sound. My experience with this forum has been largely positive, mostly because I'm the first to admit that I *know* that I don't know everything I probably should, and learning it on the job is hard but rewarding in that you never, ever forget the stupid mistakes.

I'm sorry that Jeff has to keep shutting down threads. As if the fire season out here in the west isn't bad enough already.

Yin and yang! Sometimes, what happens with freedom of expression on the net is that people get wound up and fly off at the handle. It is sad (and often sobering) that people get so upset about ASCII text on a screen. I experienced flame wars on discussion groups going back to 1985 on CompuServe, so I figured out very quickly that nuance, subtlety, and irony are often lost when you don't have the luxury of human expression and tone of voice. If I see one of you in person and say, "man, you look like sh!t," I guarantee you, you'd laugh, because you'd get that I was kidding. On-line, it could be taken as a severe insult.

99% of you guys would be friendly or at least respectful to each other in person, and these things would never snowball out of control. People gotta remember: there are real problems in the world, life and death issues, and some smartass snarking at you online ain't worth getting riled up about. Just move on and ignore it. Ain't no thang.

His entire argument was that money meant nothing to him. If that was the case, he should give some to me.

Got it.

I think you can put him in the troll category. I sent a PM offering a list of books for him to read if he would e-mail me.

No response.

It was either that, or an actual, bonafide, DSM-verified personality disorder that left him absolutely incapable of letting go of his own ego. ???