Thinking of picking up a SD 552, Maxx or Nomad

MultitrackPat

" At some point everything has needed some repair, upkeep, factory trip. It's part of the business. "

I remember when the holiday hiatus, and the end of season hiatus (TV shows), or the end of the shoot (movies, real movies!) meant a $$$ visit to the shop for a "tune up", and that was just the normal, routine PM (preventive maintenance)...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Still, I don't quite understand why the home screen is slightly dimmer than the menu screens."

I can't figure this out either. It's quite noticeable in my view and counter to what you really want which is the brightest home screen possible. It's not down to 'white percentage' or the varying text display as far as I can see, but a common difference between all home screens and everything else.

I wish I had noticed the difference in the home screen versus menu screen brightness before yesterday or I would have asked at Gotham last weekend. That might mean it would be as easy as changing the home screen colors. I have not had my Nomad long, and have not done work in bright outdoor sun before. Jack did say he saw a bare screen in the sun and it looked really good. The limitation doesn't seem to be screen brightness, but glare on the protective top layer. A few people have had at least some luck with cell phone protective/anti-glare covers. If I understood Glenn right, the top plastic layer of the Nomad is not *that* expensive to replace if I put on some cell phone protective screen and screw it up.

In general there is a limitation on any screen. A monochrome LCD (like those in the 700 series SD) looks fine in sun, but you only have one color (black) and limited resolution. They change backlight colors on the 788T to go red for recording (which I find very clever). The Zaxcom screens are all full color (which brings a lot of features), but is not a readable in bright light. It's not like one is wrong, just different approaches to the display. Either one is a huge leap from just having bouncing needles.

In a vague way it's like the Amazon ads for the monochrome Kindle being readable on a beach when an iPad is tough. They make a good point, but Amazon still made a full color version that is just as tough to read outdoors because the benefit of color is worth it to most people.

"I'm also deeply deeply unsatisfied with the response from Zaxcom on the failings of the Nomad screen. Seeing the company promoting an as yet to be released new product with the same display simply reinforces the feeling that the many people who have raised this issue are being fobbed off to an extent and that the company has no intention of any further positive movement on this. I'd absolutely love Glenn to prove me completely wrong here."

We have made a significant change to the MAXX screen to enhance the readability in direct sunlight. We take the advice of our customers very seriously and act on it where possible.

Glenn

That's nice for the MAXX, but is there a way to fix the current Nomad screens (besides taking a razor knife to it)? I've used the anti-glare screen protector and it helps a little bit but in full bright sun its still necessary to shade the screen to see even the white peak indicators on the meters.

I wish I had noticed the difference in the home screen versus menu screen brightness before yesterday or I would have asked at Gotham last weekend. That might mean it would be as easy as changing the home screen colors. I have not had my Nomad long, and have not done work in bright outdoor sun before. Jack did say he saw a bare screen in the sun and it looked really good. The limitation doesn't seem to be screen brightness, but glare on the protective top layer. A few people have had at least some luck with cell phone protective/anti-glare covers. If I understood Glenn right, the top plastic layer of the Nomad is not *that* expensive to replace if I put on some cell phone protective screen and screw it up.

In general there is a limitation on any screen. A monochrome LCD (like those in the 700 series SD) looks fine in sun, but you only have one color (black) and limited resolution. They change backlight colors on the 788T to go red for recording (which I find very clever). The Zaxcom screens are all full color (which brings a lot of features), but is not a readable in bright light. It's not like one is wrong, just different approaches to the display. Either one is a huge leap from just having bouncing needles.

In a vague way it's like the Amazon ads for the monochrome Kindle being readable on a beach when an iPad is tough. They make a good point, but Amazon still made a full color version that is just as tough to read outdoors because the benefit of color is worth it to most people.

I get what you are saying here sir, but I do disagree with a lot of it. The Nomad screen is without doubt much dimmer than a cell phone screen, so I find the comparison to iPads awkward to say the least. I'm really not prepared to accept that brightness is not a factor.

Personally I've added a iPhone anti glare film to my Nomad. This has helped with the mirror like quality of the screen/screen cover but has failed to improve much on brightness, in fact I think it takes it down a notch.

If Glenn (or someone else from Zaxcom) could be a bit more forthcoming about why the Nomad has a screen cover, if it is important for protection and why the Maxx screen has surrendered this (but seems to have undergone no other changes) I'd be a LOT happier. The generic replies I've had about the Nomad problem are not massively helpful. Are Zaxcom also looking at a hardware/software fix? Why can't the screen be driven harder to iPhone/Samsung/touchscreen of choice levels? Or is taking a craft knife to our £5000 recorders considered the only solution? Why are the home screens basically grey compared to the bright white of everything else?

Is anyone checking any of this this at Zaxcom towers?

James Arnold

JohnPaul,

How exactly is the top plastic layer attached to the Nomad? Is it stuck on with an adhesive?

Not a Nomad owner but considering.

Bob

From what I can tell, the whole "faceplate" is one piece.... meaning the white plastic with all the text as well as the clear part over the screen. It seems to be adhered, and the membrane switches seem to be part of it, so i'm not sure you can just pop it off to cut it on a different surface. Maybe somebody that did the mod has posted pictures somewhere?

I get what you are saying here sir, but I do disagree with a lot of it. The Nomad screen is without doubt much dimmer than a cell phone screen, so I find the comparison to iPads awkward to say the least. I'm really not prepared to accept that brightness is not a factor.

Personally I've added a iPhone anti glare film to my Nomad. This has helped with the mirror like quality of the screen/screen cover but has failed to improve much on brightness, in fact I think it takes it down a notch.

If Glenn (or someone else from Zaxcom) could be a bit more forthcoming about why the Nomad has a screen cover, if it is important for protection and why the Maxx screen has surrendered this (but seems to have undergone no other changes) I'd be a LOT happier. The generic replies I've had about the Nomad problem are not massively helpful. Are Zaxcom also looking at a hardware/software fix? Why can't the screen be driven harder to iPhone/Samsung/touchscreen of choice levels? Or is taking a craft knife to our £5000 recorders considered the only solution? Why are the home screens basically grey compared to the bright white of everything else?

Is anyone checking any of this this at Zaxcom towers?

James Arnold

I don't have an iPhone, but my Droid X is impossible to read in bright sun, and it has auto adjusting brightness. I said iPad because Amazon ran a lot of Kindle ads promoting how the screen is awesome in the sun (and it is). Nobody is selling a cellphone with a monochrome LCD anymore because everyone wants color.

I *think* part of the reason there is a plastic overlay was to seal the gap around the screen. I have no idea if a brighter backlight would make it more visible. I have not worked a ton in bright outdoor sun with the Nomad, but what I have done was very usable. If it is glare, then I suppose angle of the sun is a major factor. I keep meaning to run outside with my Fusion and Nomad on a sunny sunny day and do some side by side. Unfortunately for science, I have been working a lot. Like I said, it's common knowledge that color screens are not as visible as monochrome LCDs (like a digital watch). There is a reason that the color monitors on set often have hoods on them. I still prefer the benefits of the color screen with the one drawback. Maybe it's not for you, try one out.

This discussion is embarrassing.

It's really nice to have Larry and Glenn (and now Jon from SD) on this board. It's very cool of them to offer their support and thoughts on their current and upcoming products. It's even cooler of them to take suggestions from end users like us, especially since we are people who will usually buy a new recorder less often than a new laptop.

What I find insulting is the call to make these guys defend themselves. Obviously they believe in the products that they're developing, and those products are very close to them. It's awful that we're putting them in a corner where they have to punch their way out and fight back against a couple of allegations.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. If you have a piece of gear and you're not happy with a particular feature, feel free to voice that opinion. Then, hopefully for the next revision of that product your gripe is fixed. You're not owed a single thing past the point of purchase. Nobody needs to explain their design plans or manufacturing processes to you.

I'm glad that Larry, Glenn, and Jon post on this board, and I would hope that anything we say would encourage them to be more involved, and not be so antagonistic.

It's really nice to have Larry and Glenn (and now Jon from SD) on this board. It's very cool of them to offer their support and thoughts on their current and upcoming products. It's even cooler of them to take suggestions from end users like us, especially since we are people who will usually buy a new recorder less often than a new laptop.

What I find insulting is the call to make these guys defend themselves. Obviously they believe in the products that they're developing, and those products are very close to them. It's awful that we're putting them in a corner where they have to punch their way out and fight back against a couple of allegations.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. If you have a piece of gear and you're not happy with a particular feature, feel free to voice that opinion. Then, hopefully for the next revision of that product your gripe is fixed. You're not owed a single thing past the point of purchase. Nobody needs to explain their design plans or manufacturing processes to you.

I'm glad that Larry, Glenn, and Jon post on this board, and I would hope that anything we say would encourage them to be more involved, and not be so antagonistic.

Word!!!

If I come across as 'antagonistic' then I apologise, it is accidental and perhaps a symptom of my frustration about the level of communication I have so far received. I've politely asked reasonable questions about the Nomad screen on here and the Zaxcom forum and <hat> and would point out that this is not an 'allegation' - It's something that Zaxcom themselves have acknowledged is a problem. In turn they have offered a DIY mod - which they quite reasonably take no responsibility for any of us carrying out - but have yet to reply about what this might mean for the integrity of the devices surface. I think this is important information before anything is carried out and it does relate to the new Maxx. I have also received an email from Zaxcom that they are "currently looking at and exploring options to see what can be done about this. We will update you when we have additional information". As this was before the suggestion of the mod, and as I've been sent no 'additional information' regarding either the mod or anything else, I'm unsure as to whether Glenn and co are pursuing hardware/software options or whether this mod is the definitive fix. I'm a bit in the dark.

Comparing this with the regular, good humoured and informative updates that Larry Lectrosonics gave us during the recent board modifications for the UK SRs and you might understand where I'm coming from.

There is absolutely no reason why Glenn or anyone else at Zaxcom have to reply to my questions, but when a problem is recognised it does wonders for your customers if you give them all the information they need to make relevant decisions. I value Glenns contributions enormously and will continue to correspond with the company.

The glass on the actual screen is significantly more durable than the plastic overlay. Around the screen there is a sticky membrane that keeps the screen attached to the bottom of the faceplate. So dust and minor amounts of moisture will not penetrate. The plastic overlay provides no impact protection on the actually screen as the screen sits fractions of an inch under it.

Fusion and deva users have been using exposed screens for years with little or no issues.

+1 for what Doc Justice said.

It's one thing to point out desired improvements, it's yet another to constantly hammer a manufacturer because some aspect of their product isn't as perfect as you deem necessary for your use.

These are TOOLS. And, like any other tool, If a particular device doesn't fit your use -- for whatever reason -- find one that does. It's rude and inconsiderate to constantly badger a manufacturer with comments that insinuate they're the scum of the earth if they don't immediately focus their full resources and undivided attention on your particular desires.

Case in point, the Nomad screen. Yes, it could be improved. Yes, people have shared that desire with Zaxcom. To constantly hammer them with insinuations that they are ignoring their customers because they haven't issued a fix to your own personal satisfaction is abusive.

As a Nomad user, which would I rather see first -- an improved screen, or implementation of all the originally-promised features? My vote is for all the originally-promised features, delayed, perhaps in part, by a constant barrage of feature demands, requests, and updates from their user base. All too many of those requests seem to take the form that Zaxcom is being a horrible company if they don't immediately address that particular issue. The real problem appears to be end users who aren't professional enough to realize that if a particular tool isn't right for their needs, they should switch to one that is. And, if they don't feel that certain products are as dependable as others, they should vote with their purchases.

I'm dismayed that Zaxcom is taking close to a full year now to implement the Nomad's promised feature set. However, there are sound mixers who are quite gratified in using some of the new devices the company has turned out in the interim. Devices that, no doubt, took valuable development time away from "finishing" the Nomad. It's a business decision Zaxcom has made in their passion to dash forward in exploring new technological approaches to our industry. The passion that drives these new products is also the passion that created a device as "forward-looking" as the Nomad in the first place, so to criticize them heavily is to not understand the full picture.

Prompting them, that's another story. We, as end users, should definitely make our wishes known. My wish is to see the Nomad's feature set fully implemented prior to the end of the world that's been announced for this December.

But, the bottom line is, these are just tools. Quit treating them like they're a religion.

I'm a huge fan of Lectrosonics, Sound Devices, Denecke, Comtek, PSC, K-Tek, Zaxcom and many other manufacturers in our industry. I use their products on a regular basis and have no qualms in recommending any of them. But, each company, as well as each product, has their strengths. We, as end users should make our buying decisions based on those strengths, and how they suit our individual needs.

OK John, I'm not going to get into another protracted argument with you on here, it's too boring for everyone else. You don't much like my attitude and frankly I don't really care for yours either. As a big favour to you I'll try and keep everything I want to ask about Nomad that might be deemed aggravating to <hat>.

Perhaps as a favour to me you could refrain from writing nonsense like this:

It's rude and inconsiderate to constantly badger a manufacturer with comments that insinuate they're the scum of the earth...

Then everything will be peachy.

Cheers

James Arnold

OK John, I'm not going to get into another protracted argument with you on here, it's too boring for everyone else. You don't much like my attitude and frankly I don't really care for yours either. As a big favour to you I'll try and keep everything I want to ask about Nomad that might be deemed aggravating to <hat>.

Perhaps as a favour to me you could refrain from writing nonsense like this:

Then everything will be peachy.

Cheers

James Arnold

I didn't aim this at anyone in particular.

So, it boils down to: If the shoe fits, wear it. If the shoe doesn't fit, ignore it.

One of the first shoot days I had my Nomad on someone spilled water on the front panel. Not a lot but enough that there were several small pools across the channel faders and on the display. I freaked, stretched out my shirt and sopped up the mess. Nomad didn't notice that it had been doused or cleaned. Kept right on working. I've been told that SD stuff won't fare so well with any water across it's panel but that's purely hearsay and I do hope it's unfounded.

Can I read my Nomad's display in sunlight? No. Is a 744t any better on that? Marginally. Sounds like MAXX may have something better, much to the chagrin of many of us Nomad users :-/

As far as sound goes...the pres in these things all sound good compared to each other. I've always wanted to hear SD and Zax compared to a Manley, API, Brent Averill, or Avalon pre. I think there would be noticeable differences but I dunno, I haven't heard an A/B.

Operationally speaking, I think SD stuff is easier to use straight off the bat than Zax stuff. Nomad has a bit different workflow and it takes some getting used to. SD works more like any other piece of gear you've used. Less likely to make a mistake when first using an SD than a Nomad. But I gotta say, It is my opinion that Tascam has much more intuitive and user friendly menus and operation...too bad the hs-p82 has such a poorly designed chassis (Let's make it big! No one needs more than one pair of outs).

In the end it's best to get your hands on all of them and choose the one that feels best to you.

I think I can offer a counterpoint to that Dan. I just sent back a Nomad to Pro Sound in NYC (THANK YOU!!!!) which means that I have had the chance to work with the Nomad, SD's 442, 552, 702t, 744t, 788t, and the Tascam Hd-P2.

I used to be a computer consultant, and I consider myself a hardware geek, so a complicated UI doesn't scare me. That said... Unless the rest of Tascam's lineup is wildly different than the Hd-P2, I would place them dead last in the user interface department, behind even the likes of Zoom. I didn't grow up with tape-based workflows like the Nagra, so that may color my perception somewhat, but my feeling on the Tascam is why have a tape-style workflow of recording "segments in a timeline" when you are dealing with a file-based result? I don't need to go back and start a second file halfway through the timecode of the first one, creating an overlap... But that is exactly what the HD-P2 allows you to do in certain setups. Very counter-intuitive, at least for me. When I want to do a playback, I want to hear the previous track / take... And when I hit stop, I want it to be ready to record the next file starting with the correct running timecode, or no timecode at all. I sold my Hd-P2, and don't miss it.

Now.. on to the Nomad. This was the first time I have ever touched one, so I wanted to give myself the same experience that I had the first time I touched an SD device - go in cold with no preconceived notions or knowledge, don't even look at a quick-start guide (there isn't one) or the manual. See if I can pick it up and start routing signals, get the basic functions to work, etc. I also gave myself 20 minutes to do this, as if I had arrived on a project and was handed this as the network's gear to use.

With that kind of challenge in mind, I give myself about a 3/4 grade. Getting the audio in was easy, routing it to the outputs mostly easy... But not very intuitive. Changing pans was different, but I got that figured too. I like the built-in wireless functions (those that were actually there) of the Nomad, although I think I would be sad about the total cost for a fully-built-out rig of 5 wireless, boom, IFB, and a camera hop. Ouch that is a lot, I've bought cars cheaper than that.

As I was evaluating the UI however... I think I could get used to it, but it does seem like there are too many shortcut keys or keypress options for different functions than on the SD gear. I can understand the logic in having certain very frequent functions available under a shortcut, but for the bulk of configuration, I like the deep menu option of SD with everything under one long scrolling menu. I didn't like the different menus under different face buttons as much. That also brings up the mixing surface - The extra buttons / functions on something like the CL8 offer a super-fast way of changing things around on the 788... Not so much on the Nomad. It is entirely possible that I would get more familiar with their menuing (especially if I put the full $4k into a MAXX loaded) but at least initially, it didn't seem so quick for me. I don't know about some of the functions however, whether they were just not implemented at all, not available on the unit I had, or if I was somehow missing a keypress function to get them to work... But I couldn't get any "com" function to do anything, and no matter what I did, I didn't seem able to get the slate mic to activate at all. I didn't try while in record mode, but one way that I've used the slate is as a talkback through the IFB to either my boom op or to the director. Having that as a switch on my 442 or the single button on the CL8 - that can speed things up on set when everything is on fire around you.

I'm reserving my decision until I see the MAXX in person, I'm making a small assumption that they will be on display at NAB, and hopefully I can get a good idea of how it might work for me in that situation.

For Sound Devices... Jon, it is great to see someone from SD on the forum, please accept my thanks for stopping in. I realize that a product like the 744 is something of a legacy item now, having been out for so long... But if there was a forum for feature requests within SD, I hope you could pass this along for me: I would LOVE the ability for a CL8-style mixing surface on the 744, which would offer the ability of fader control for the levels on all 4 inputs... and the best possible outcome: Those faders drop the 4 inputs into a 2-track mix additional to the existing 4 tracks of iso recording. I eagerly await whatever new kit ANY of our favorite manufacturers are going to announce. That goes equal for all, because if nothing else, I am a hardware geek. ;D

I can speak to the advantages of the Zaxcom preamps and mixers. Because all of the mixing is in the digital domain the Nomad and Maxx are different than any other portable mixer. Here are the advantages.

The Nomad and Max have noise floors lower than any microphone you can connect so they will be transparent in that aspect and equivalent to other products.

Because they have no transformers in their inputs they offer excellent low frequency distortion characteristics. The input dynamic range (137dB) is where the Zaxcoms products really show their stuff. This eliminates the need for an input trim pot as the inputs can truly never clip. This single fader mixing method makes it easier to control audio levels in the heat of the moment.

Add in the 2 adjustable input notch filters per channel, dual passive and dsp based high pass filters, input delay (to time align analog and digital microphone inputs, and a fully adjustable soft knee compressor and you get something truly unique and ultra capable.

The Compressor is ultra smooth and all parameters are adjustable to suit individual tastes. Same type of performance as the best studio rack mounted units. The compressor has built in look ahead level detection enabling it to anticipate the need to change the gain before the audio can become problematic.

The Zaxcom mixers are 100% cross faded eliminating clicks and pops when routing is changed.

The mix and the headphone outputs have exactly the same dynamic range so the headphone output will always correctly identify when the XLR outputs clip.

Zaxcom actively controls the output gain selection between mic, line and consumer levels. This maintains the full analog output dynamic range at all times.

Since all mixing is in the digital domain no part of the mixer internally can ever clip or distort from being over driven.

All mixer settings can be instantly stored and recalled.

Glenn

Thanks for posting on this board Glenn. It is much appreciated. What do you mean by "actively controlling output gain"? Do you mean as opposed to fixed (mic, -10, 0) output levels?

Chris Newton

Thanks for posting on this board Glenn. It is much appreciated. What do you mean by "actively controlling output gain"? Do you mean as opposed to fixed (mic, -10, 0) output levels?

Chris Newton

The output levels for the XLR and ta5 outputs on the Nomad are fixed at -35, -10, or 0. They are not variable.

I think what Glenn was referring to was that some devices simply use resistors to pad the output down to consumer or mic level instead of changing the level via an active output device.

Mark O.

I would LOVE the ability for a CL8-style mixing surface on the 744, which would offer the ability of fader control for the levels on all 4 inputs... and the best possible outcome: Those faders drop the 4 inputs into a 2-track mix additional to the existing 4 tracks of iso recording.

My dream, a 744t MKII (or 844t perhaps?)

• 2 extra preamps for a total of 4 fully capable inputs (with AES42 capability on all)
  • Capable of recording Mix + 4 Iso's
  • CL-8 style attachment
  • CL-Wifi compatible
  • 192khz capable
  • Exact same limiters as 744 (fixed, available at any sample rate)
  • Improved A/D conversion from 788
  • USB 2.0/3.0 + Firewire 400/800
  • SSD version

I would buy on day one.

My dream, a 744t MKII (or 844t perhaps?)

• 2 extra preamps for a total of 4 fully capable inputs (with AES42 capability on all)
  • Capable of recording Mix + 4 Iso's
  • CL-8 style attachment
  • CL-Wifi compatible
  • 192khz capable
  • Exact same limiters as 744 (fixed, available at any sample rate)
  • Improved A/D conversion from 788
  • USB 2.0/3.0 + Firewire 400/800
  • SSD version

I would buy on day one.

would be an insta-buy for me