PT upgrade 8 to 10 with project

Robert Buncher

Just wondering, if I upgrade from Protools 8 to Protools10 in the middle of a project, will I be able to import that project into Protools 10 and finish it there?

It is a thirty+ minute film with a video track and lots of audio tracks. I have most of the dialogue edit completed but have everything else to do yet.

Is this possible? Is it a good or bad idea?

Thanks

Bob

I get like a superstitious baseball player when I edit: I don't change anything (except my drawz) until I've bounced, QC'd, backed up, and called the project quit.

There are a myriad of compatibility and bug-y problems that can occur when upgrading; why risk it mid-project unless the upgrade will seriously increase your efficiency and thus your ability to meet a deadline?

Best

Another vote for not changing horses in the middle of a race, unless you are forced to for some reason. Upgrades are one of the banes of my post biz--there is almost never a good time to do them because there almost always is some project hanging on for changes or reversioning or etc, and there is some risk in upgrading and finding some plug in etc didn't make the jump with you.

phil p

PT 10 is a major leap forward from 8.

However, the cautions you've been given are valid.

If it were me, I'd do both. I'd save the complete project to another drive (one should be doing such backups -- and more -- anyway), then clone the entire system drive so I could easily revert back without any pain.

THEN, with that security in place, I'd upgrade and look for any issues or gotchas.

With proper procedures, the process doesn't take terribly long, and quite frankly, a clone of your system drive when it's stable is a good idea anyway.

If you don't have the time to do the above, then upgrading is an extremely bad idea in any eventuality.

No way. I don't care what the program makers say, changing versions of a program in the middle of a project is dicey at best. I've been burned by this in the past, and will never make that mistake again.

Why not wait? Just finish this project, back everything up and then make the transition.

The cautions are valid. You should never hanger anything during a project.

That being said, working in pt10 is a great leap forward. My upgrade experience was flawless. I'm going to say you should back everything up and go ahead and upgrade. I think the risk to reward scale here is tipped toward the pro upgrade direction.

Don't Do It! Unless there's something you NEED in PT10 stick with PT8 until you're finished. There are differences in naming and file handling between the two (IIRC) that could f**k you up. Trailing edge technology... It's old but it works...

importing previous version sessions into 10 will convert everything over to the new conventions no problem.

Again, the safe way is not to upgrade. 10 has much better features and a massively different (better) workflow for post audio that will help you complete your project. You won't be sorry.

I get like a superstitious baseball player when I edit: I don't change anything (except my drawz) until I've bounced, QC'd, backed up, and called the project quit.

This! 113.gif

Man, upgrading versions in the middle of a project gives me the willies. The only time I ever had a post disaster to the point where I lost about three days of work was when the factory guys were there, and upgraded the software before I came in the building. I went in, sat down with there, imported my project... and it blew up like an Atom Bomb. They shrugged and said, "oh, well. These things happen."

Luckily, we were able to push the deadline and this was not client-supervised.