VDB carbon fibre Yagi

soundtrane

That's a really good looking antenna! I'll bet it is very light weight (and probably very expensive). I haven't used a yagi-style antenna in years though I think I do know the advantages/disadvantages. I wonder how many people are actually using yagi-style antennas these days.

post-1-0-50580700-1345987736.jpg

It will be great if the antenna can be 'dismantled' to pack away. Dealing with Sharkfins I have had trouble packing them in transit.

Jeff, higher gain with more directional character? I am sure Larry and Senator will chime in here...

I remember working with a Brit mixer who used Audio Ltd wireless and had a pair of Yagis, which were pulled out when tracking vehicle shots etc in the desert from a distance, the Rx on the cart on the ground, fixed point...

Jeff, higher gain with more directional character? I am sure Larry and Senator will chime in here...

Yes, more gain but more directional. Also, limited frequency band supported. Log periodic (shark fin-type) are usually 400 to 800, yagi-type is usually limited to a specific band (for example, 500 to 600). This may be less of an issue for all of us since the frequency areas we are allowed to operate in are being whittled down.