best boom mic for interiors?

commpost

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am preparing to mix a feature, and I have two mics which might be suitable for the boom. I have the classic Senn 416 and also an AKG 452eb.

From what I've heard, the 416 isn't the best choice for interior work, but would an AKG 452/451 be at all suitable for the job? If not, what "super-cardioid" mic might you recommend for interior work?

thx much

Commpost

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wanna know what the best microphone is? It's the microphone that sounds the best in your given context. So, doing an A/B comparison if you're uncertain in an environment, will let you know what microphone sounds the best.

The MKH416 MAY sound good in your given setting, but it may not as well. It all depends. You can't say that as soon as the room is baffled and silent, that the 416 will sound good. Maybe the characteristics of the mic does not suit the talents or actors voice. Maybe the framing and lighting does not allow for booming from above, or maybe the 416 is too long for this environment (as in low ceiling).

Don't make assumptions on what mike will perform the best in a preconceived condition. You have to be there and LISTEN to know for sure.

Trust your ears, THEY know what microphone to use, because what 'sounds good' is personal preference, not a fact.

That being said, there are plenty of mics that are being used for these conditions and perform well (given that you or your boom op is trained well enough ;) )

Mkh50 and/or Schoeps cmc641 are the ones that are the most frequent.

The mkh416 is an excellent mic for anything you throw at it, but as it is a shotgun mic, reverberation will sound weird in it to SOME people. Sometimes, that tone might be what you want. So remember; any mic will do the job if it sounds good to you. As long as it works for you and you can deliver the sound quality that you like, it's good.

...I'm turning into the senator :S

Olle is correct in saying that you should plug in and listen before making a choice, but generally shotguns are mainly used for exteriors. Cardioid and hyper-cardioid generally for interiors. You can experiment and choose what you think sounds good, but this is a good rule of thumb.

I love the MKH 50 for interiors. It has great a rich tone, gives me good range, and gives me some room flexibility booming (it has a fairly forgiving pickup pattern). I would highly recommend finding a local rental house in... London I believe you said? Rent the microphone for $25 or 12-15 pounds and see for yourself what different microphones are available!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am preparing to mix a feature, and I have two mics which might be suitable for the boom. I have the classic Senn 416 and also an AKG 452eb.

From what I've heard, the 416 isn't the best choice for interior work, but would an AKG 452/451 be at all suitable for the job? If not, what "super-cardioid" mic might you recommend for interior work?

thx much

Commpost

Audix SC1X-HC is a good option as well.

A search of this site will yield many good choices.

I believe many of the A-list mixers on major Hollywood films (and other films worldwide) frequently use the Schoeps CMC641, which is the 6 preamp with the 41 hypercardioid capsule. Longtime mixer Glenn Trew has compared this to the Sennheiser MKH40 and has found they have a very similar pattern.

I own them both and use each depending on how predictable/unpredictable the location is going to be. The Schoeps is a more delicate microphone (particularly with moisture), so when I'm not sure, I'll grab the MKH40 or the MKH50. More often than not, I go with the 50, and then bring along a 60 for outdoors (very similar to the 416). I just did a shoot where we used the bigger MKH70, and that was great in an open field, particularly in situations where we had a handheld camera with unpredictable, unrehearsed POV movements.

The 50 is a pretty good match for the 416, and I really, really like the reliability and light weight of their mikes. (The 60 is a little smaller and lighter than the 416, and the more-recent 8060 is smaller and lighter still.)

Note there are often cases where you just can't get in there with a boom, or the location is so noisy you have to resort to wireless lavs on the actors. It's a fall-back choice, but it's good to have them available.

Hundreds if not thousands of shows have been made with nothing but 416's. Can you make one with a 416? Sure, why not.

I believe the OP was about the best mic, not what can work. All mic's can work under different circumstances, but a mic like a Schoepes 641 will work better than most on interior sets as you well know.

CrewC

" A search of this site will yield many good choices. "

cha-ching...th

is has been discussed, and discussed...

nothing much changes, as in the end, " I believe the OP was about the best mic, not what can work. All mic's can work under different circumstances, " what is best is a subjective and personal decision, and even then: it depends!

" How does the Audio-Technica AT4053b compare to the rest? "

I believe, quite well...I've used them on network shows...unless folks know what I used, they cannot tell any difference.

How does the Audio-Technica AT4053b compare to the rest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I found the AT4053B to be noisier than the MKH 50 I replaced it with, but as far as sound quality goes, I think Senator is right, most probably wouldnt know the difference.