What gear and technique for Coop?

Srgtfury

Just saw Coop on CNN, with on site hurricane coverage, grasping a mic, just above the proximal, purple, swollen, bulbous end, with the black shaft thence, surmounted by a black, less bulbous appearing wind/rain screen. At one point, Coop said he couldn't hear the studio feed, because rain was in his ear... Now, the audio from Coop and the weather consultant next to him, presumably fed from that setup, was as clear as studio feed, with, only slightly noticeable splashing from the sheets of rain falling behind Coop and mercilessly hitting him, all over his exposed head. So much duress that he commented on the pain. Apparently Coop and/or the director didn't want him to come in from the rain.

Now, does anyone know or wish to post conjecture, regarding the gear and post techniques empolyed here?

Thank you very much

Fury

Now, does anyone know or wish to post conjecture, regarding the gear and post techniques employed here?

I just saw a CBS News guy doing a live stand-up, and he was using a venerable EV RE-50B dynamic (hard-wired). Funny enough, I worked on local news shows in Tampa in the early 1970s, and I know of reporters even then using the exact same mike in the middle of tropical storms and hurricanes.

It's a typical news gimmick to shove the reporter outside in the storm for drama. Anderson Cooper is a good guy and a top-notch reporter, and I don't think the jokes are warranted.

My wife is glued to the weather channel (she's a real weather fanatic) and we were just talking about why the reporters have to stand out in the middle of everything and get pounded while trying to yell into the microphone to be heard. I guess it is what they like to do, to get "the story" and be right there where it's happening. I do see a lot of EV RE-50 type microphones, truly and "industry standard" for this sort of reporting. I couldn't find any of my old EV mics when we had to do a reporter in the rain scene in "We Bought A Zoo" so I used some other dynamic mic and we barely got through it. After that I went out and purchased a brand new EV RE-50B to have just in case we need it in the future.

Thanks all. Just saw Coop again, this time, the talon on his jacket, zipped up to his chin, was blowing at right angle to vertical. There was barely audible wind buffeting, vs. some of the other reporters, with apparently different gear and much more ambient pickup.. All this, while the sinusoidal rain drives against, and a spiral rivulet lets from a roof line, immediately behind Coop. Unless they dressed an EV RE-50B in different covers, hard to discern the piece. You all would know, I'm sure.

That purple end bears some resemblance to an 18v, or so battery for a cordless hand tool.

Hi Jack, probably not a good idea to stumble into a gat chat room...

Thank you very much

Fury

Hi mystic.

Hence the "probably."

Just saw Coop, now fully exposed-out from under the awning and his colleague in accompaniment. The colleague remarked that the water was sheeting off at a" a couple of hundred gallons a minute." Fury has a Trinnov system, perfectly mic'd, so no prob hearing background vs. foreground audio and, he notes intermittent, but mostly heavily attenuated sound, yielding a psychoacoustic mismatch that unnerves the force.

Hi Marc and Jeff, Fury is reminded of the episode of Al Roker, tethered by the grip of a grip in a similar circumstance years ago, but the audio was obfuscated by wind and other element related influences.

Thank you very much

Fury

I recalibrated my monitor and cleared the perspiration from my orbits ( was watching, exercising on the elliptical). I now see that the proximal end of the mic in Coop's hand has a pink bulge on the bottom and a blue bulge above that. Transmitter and/or power? Very water resistant-rain circumferentially at the piece and a stream off Coop's nose right onto the end of the mic.

Thank you very much

Fury

Much easier to understand this way:

"ʎɹnɟ

ɥɔnɯ ʎɹǝʌ noʎ ʞuɐɥʇ

˙ɔıɯ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝ ǝɥʇ oʇuo ʇɥƃıɹ ǝsou s,dooɔ ɟɟo ɯɐǝɹʇs ɐ puɐ ǝɔǝıd ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʎllɐıʇuǝɹǝɟɯnɔɹıɔ uıɐɹ-ʇuɐʇsısǝɹ ɹǝʇɐʍ ʎɹǝʌ ¿ɹǝʍod ɹo/puɐ ɹǝʇʇıɯsuɐɹʇ ˙ʇɐɥʇ ǝʌoqɐ ǝƃlnq ǝnlq ɐ puɐ ɯoʇʇoq ǝɥʇ uo ǝƃlnq ʞuıd ɐ sɐɥ puɐɥ s,dooɔ uı ɔıɯ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝ lɐɯıxoɹd ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ ǝǝs ʍou ı ˙(lɐɔıʇdıllǝ ǝɥʇ uo ƃuısıɔɹǝxǝ 'ƃuıɥɔʇɐʍ sɐʍ ) sʇıqɹo ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ uoıʇɐɹıdsɹǝd ǝɥʇ pǝɹɐǝlɔ puɐ ɹoʇıuoɯ ʎɯ pǝʇɐɹqılɐɔǝɹ ı"

Much easier to understand this way:

"ʎɹnɟ

ɥɔnɯ ʎɹǝʌ noʎ ʞuɐɥʇ

˙ɔıɯ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝ ǝɥʇ oʇuo ʇɥƃıɹ ǝsou s,dooɔ ɟɟo ɯɐǝɹʇs ɐ puɐ ǝɔǝıd ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʎllɐıʇuǝɹǝɟɯnɔɹıɔ uıɐɹ-ʇuɐʇsısǝɹ ɹǝʇɐʍ ʎɹǝʌ ¿ɹǝʍod ɹo/puɐ ɹǝʇʇıɯsuɐɹʇ ˙ʇɐɥʇ ǝʌoqɐ ǝƃlnq ǝnlq ɐ puɐ ɯoʇʇoq ǝɥʇ uo ǝƃlnq ʞuıd ɐ sɐɥ puɐɥ s,dooɔ uı ɔıɯ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝ lɐɯıxoɹd ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ ǝǝs ʍou ı ˙(lɐɔıʇdıllǝ ǝɥʇ uo ƃuısıɔɹǝxǝ 'ƃuıɥɔʇɐʍ sɐʍ ) sʇıqɹo ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ uoıʇɐɹıdsɹǝd ǝɥʇ pǝɹɐǝlɔ puɐ ɹoʇıuoɯ ʎɯ pǝʇɐɹqılɐɔǝɹ ı"

Yayyy!!!!!!

I'm almost certain it's an RE50 with a Lectro UH400 TX into a camera mounted Lectro block 20 SR into the camera and outputted to either a Sat truck or microwave van.

I haven't worked with CNN in a few years, but that was the last audio upgrade they did when I did work with them in NYC, and chances are it is a NYC photojournalist out in NOLA solo, one man band style.

It's a live shot, so no post techniques other than pulling the feed from the satellite and putting it on the air. I've been on the ground with them and what you give them is what they broadcast.

Marc