Headphones for Location Recording

Diego Sanchez

I'm going in a month to film in Qatar and i know it will be very hot.

For the past 8 years i have been recording/mixing with my Beyer DT48. I love this headphones and i love their very flat and 'real' reproduction. Also their noise isolation.

But they are heavy and most importantly, very hot! The pads are made of leather like material, so they are not ideal for Qatar.

I just wanted to hear what people use around and if anyone has any recommendation (or mods for keeping the DT48 cool). Price wise similar to the DT48's as i want good headphones.

Thanks everyone in advance

Diego

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sony 7506s with the velour ear pads are good in hot weather, the velour helps, and they're a bit lighter than dt48s

Though when I'm in such hot places, I usually end up using my in ears, with Comply foams, more comfortable for me.

I've had trouble sourcing these velour pads. Have you a UK supplier?

Malcolm davies. A.m.p.s.

Malcolm, try http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=S25VELOURPAD for Velour pads in the UK.

Diego, For HD-25's Garfield make 'Headphone softies' http://www.professionalsound.com/specs/garfield.htm

"In winter they help eliminate the problem of cold earpieces and in summer the fabric wicks away perspiration for all day comfort."

I haven't personally used them but I've heard good things about them!

Mike

I've been working on some fairly hot sets ( as in, on fire ) recently, and have to watch my ears aren't too hot for too long - usually got the HD25s when it's critical but used the much lighter weight Sennheiser px200, whenever I can. These were fairly good for a lot of stuff, quality sound, but no where near as much isolation.

i find the velour pads much more comfortable and non-sticky for the hd25s

@ Diego - I use Sony's 7506 with Beyerdynamic velour pads and they make all the difference in the Texas heat. Stay cool in Qatar!

@ Malcolm - Beyerdynamic and Pearstone, from B&H in NY could be an option (or just grab the mfr part number). I'm sure they can ship directly to you, since it's not electronic equipment. If not, PM me and I can assist you with shipping. Cheers!

I've had trouble sourcing these velour pads. Have you a UK supplier?

Malcolm davies. A.m.p.s.

Malcolm, I don't know about velour, but for knit "Rayon Chenille" pads, just search on Garfield Headphone Softies (nice product). Garfield also makes Hush Lavs and some other audio kit. Here's one UK source I found via Google:

http://www.soundkit....d_Products.html

But I'd guess your usual dealers can get you some...

I'd like to throw these into the mix. Very light, very cmfortable (IMO), extremely flat response, cost about $150. They don't fold up as small as a Sony 7506.

http://www.krksys.com/krk-headphones/kns-8400.html

Comparable to any known headsets? They seem bigger than 7506's?

Not sure if you've had the experience but the detachable point of the cable is the week point with the 25s They get a bit touchy after a period of abuse and no amount of wiggling helps, having a spare cable on hand is a good plan

Joel i have heard that before, but i'm not really planing to unplug them every time i pack them. I just like to have the option to do so.

Never the less i will order them with an extra lead, good tip, thanks.

Comparable to any known headsets? They seem bigger than 7506's?

I tried these KRKs a few months ago. They sound very good.

However I found they didn't 'fit' on my ears snuggly thus the acoustic isolation was compromised and they felt uncomfortable. I haven't got an average shaped head apparently.

They are bigger than the 7506s and more there's more plastic.

They do sound good though.

I sold them on.

Looking at the Ultrasone HFI 680s next after using 7506s for years.

Will

I tried these KRKs a few months ago. They sound very good.

However I found they didn't 'fit' on my ears snuggly thus the acoustic isolation was compromised and they felt uncomfortable. I haven't got an average shaped head apparently.

They are bigger than the 7506s and more there's more plastic.

They do sound good though.

I sold them on.

Looking at the Ultrasone HFI 680s next after using 7506s for years.

Will

Aight thanks. But to compare; are they leaning more to the harsh sony's or the bassy sennys, so say it popular.