Headphones for Location Recording

Diego Sanchez

Comparable to any known headsets? They seem bigger than 7506's?

The cups are about the same size but the headband is a bit bigger. The cups turn to the side to "flatten" them for storage/transport. More comfortable (again IMO) than the 7506 (less pressure on the sides of the head but still with a good seal) with a flatter response. I hear a mid-range "bump" with the 7506 that I don't hear with the KRK. The KRKs also have detachable/replaceable cords that don't cost much.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cups are about the same size but the headband is a bit bigger. The cups turn to the side to "flatten" them for storage/transport. More comfortable (again IMO) than the 7506 (less pressure on the sides of the head but still with a good seal) with a flatter response. I hear a mid-range "bump" with the 7506 that I don't hear with the KRK. The KRKs also have detachable/replaceable cords that don't cost much.
Thanks for the review. I own and like some of their active monitor speakers, therefore I'm interested.

I find headphones are one of those things that are very subjective and bring out passionate arguments either way. The music fans over on Head-Fi.org argue about the pros and cons of different high-end headphones (and in-ear phones) all day long.

Me, I'm still using the MDR-7506 with the Garfield softies. I think I may have to replace my main pair, because I've worked so many hot days this summer, the head band is kind of soaked and grimy (quite a few sweaty days). Earphone pads are fine.

If heat is a real problem, maybe IEM earphones would be a possible choice. On the other hand, maybe that would trap a lot of heat in the ear canal and sweat inside. Me, I'd just take a couple of pairs of 7506's with velour pads and swap them out every other day (after determining they match).

If heat is a real problem, maybe IEM earphones would be a possible choice. On the other hand, maybe that would trap a lot of heat in the ear canal and sweat inside. Me, I'd just take a couple of pairs of 7506's with velour pads and swap them out every other day (after determining they match).

Any recommendations for good, well balanced IEM earphones that can be used for mixing? Preferably something that isn't 90% bass frequencies like the majority of commercial earphones are.

Not sure if you've had the experience but the detachable point of the cable is the week point with the 25s They get a bit touchy after a period of abuse and no amount of wiggling helps, having a spare cable on hand is a good plan

Joel i have heard that before, but i'm not really planing to unplug them every time i pack them. I just like to have the option to do so.

Never the less i will order them with an extra lead, good tip, thanks.

Man, this is getting confusing. which "25s" are you talking about?

If it is the Sennheiser HD25-II SPII or whatever convoluted naming they use - the double-headband version - had MAJOR issues with the unit. Changed the transducers (read the entire left and right cups) AND the cable too, but the problem still persists. Intermittence in left channel usually.

I am sick of it, since Sennheiser (being such a huge company now) wont acknowledge a design fault. Yet - the keep making new models with the same design. Who knows - maybe they changed something WITHIN the two-prong connector (m/f) or something. I dont know.

-vin

Along with Vin, I would like to know exactly the model number also that people are commonly referring to when they talk about the Sennheiser headphones (all start with H or HD or something). People have been raving about these and I would like to give a listen (but also don't want to buy a model that is going to fall apart).

Along with Vin, I would like to know exactly the model number also that people are commonly referring to when they talk about the Sennheiser headphones (all start with H or HD or something). People have been raving about these and I would like to give a listen (but also don't want to buy a model that is going to fall apart).

As speaking for myself: HD-25-1 II. Yes, after a while the plugs in the cups can become a pain. I have 3, and one of them has this.

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/hd-25-1-ii

Yep, gave up on HD25's due to the notorious cheap connector problem which results in intermittent cut out of sound. After switching to 7509's, when I go back to the 25's I really don't like their sound or their comfort. I think you get used to headphones, then find others inadequate in comparison, which is a psychological issue as much as a sound issue. You have to give new ones a few days before you make judgements. But there are plenty of good designs, as many as opinions.

I will look into these now that I have the proper model number. It is a little odd the naming scheme that Sennheiser is using for these.

HD 25-1 II --- "25-1" regular numbers followed by "II" Roman numerals. I have to say that even from the pictures on the website they look very fragile and a little fiddly in terms of cable management (over headphones like the Sony 7506s).

Yep, gave up on HD25's due to the notorious cheap connector problem which results in intermittent cut out of sound. After switching to 7509's, when I go back to the 25's I really don't like their sound or their comfort. I think you get used to headphones, then find others inadequate in comparison, which is a psychological issue as much as a sound issue. You have to give new ones a few days before you make judgements. But there are plenty of good designs, as many as opinions.

I had a fun experience with the HD 25s (I think they were the SP version not II), the director was using them to monitor a sound feed and at one point when he went to take them off, the headband launched off the speakers and flew off the pier we were shooting on. Luckily it didn't end up in the East River, but one unlucky PA had to traverse the rock beach to get it haha.

I use IEMs quite often. I have Westone 3 driver, universal fit model that is a favorite. They add to your comfort level if you are working long hours on a hot day. I have found that single driver IEMs aren't enough, if you're going to make the investment, at least get dual drivers, triple if you can afford it.

• 2 weeks later...

I use IEM's in high noise environments or when I need to wear a hardhat or helmet.

The only downfall, IMO, is having to repeatedly take them out to hear "the real world" AND noise/vibrations through the cable.

How does anyone feel about personal IEM's. I currently use FutureSonics MG6's? Obviously great isolation and no worry about weight or heat. Has anyone else tried this? Pros/Cons?

I have read that many of You use or have used Sony MDR 7506. Many years ago I have used a MDR 50, first foldable headphone for Sony. Now I have seen on Sony Prof site that they are also the MDR 7510 and MDR 7512 (this much more expensive than 7506). Anyone of You own one of this last?

Yes, I posted a review of the 7510's elsewhere on this site. I like them for music very much, but they feel a little stiffer than the 7506's. The biggest issue is that they do not fold up, which kills them for some location sound mixers. The 7512's are basically a new version of the 7509's, with the extra bass. Those I generally didn't care for that much.

• 1 month later...

Sony 7506's are essentially the industry standard, at least for ENG. Many other headphones rival or outperform them in terms of sound quality, but you can't beat the fold-ability/form factor. The original pads crush my large ears a tiny bit and flatten out over time. I've found those velour Beyer Dynamic pads to be more durable, comfy for larger ears, and have slightly better isolation. They are also better in hot weather. I've done about a month of work with them in 100-120 degree temps and they were tolerable - at least they weren't the most uncomfortable thing I had on.

I've used and use a few other headphones which don't fold up as well. It can be a pain sometimes, but you can always find ways to work with them.