Headphones for Location Recording

Diego Sanchez

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" How does anyone feel about personal IEM's. "

who cares... it is how you feel about them.

You seem to have made a choice, and now you want our approval.

your choice, for yourself, is OK with us!

Strangely you are always around when your comments are least helpful. You do your job very well to irritate others, seriously were you born with these special skill set as in a god gift or really worked hard to be such !

I was a Sennheiser user all my career until I bought a pair of 7506's last year. Now I have 3 sets of Sennies on standby in case of a failure but think I will never go back. I find the Sony's gentler on the ear and certainly less fatiguing.

Interesting isn't it I've used HD25's for years and tried 7506's but couldn't use them. I felt completely at sea with them. It is of course partly what you're used to, but AB'ing them I found the 7506 bass articulation sloppy and the mids much less punchy, gentler on the ear as you say, but too soft for me. Perhaps others find the HD25's too aggressive or it could be argued too far from the audience experience with TV or in the cinema, though of course cinema sound levels, and range are often considerably more punchy than TV?

I recently bought a set of Sennheiser HD280s. I have been using the Sony MD 7206s since 1990., the 280s were very comfortable in use, slightly larger than the Sonys, so hanging them around my neck, between takes, when not in actual use was a little uncomfortable. Mainly I did'nt find the 'sound' to my liking, likely because I'm so used to the Sonys. The 280 did isolate airborne sound good, at least as good or slightly better than the Sonys.

I Returned the Sennheisers and got another pair of Sony 7506.

FWIW, I also use the 'Garfield Headphone Softies' with the Sonys.

I recently bought a set of Sennheiser HD280s. I have been using the Sony MD 7206s since 1990., the 280s were very comfortable in use, slightly larger than the Sonys, so hanging them around my neck, between takes, when not in actual use was a little uncomfortable. Mainly I did'nt find the 'sound' to my liking, likely because I'm so used to the Sonys. The 280 did isolate airborne sound good, at least as good or slightly better than the Sonys.

I Returned the Sennheisers and got another pair of Sony 7506.

FWIW, I also use the 'Garfield Headphone Softies' with the Sonys.

I own a pair of HD280s, but have also used the 7506s extensively. I personally prefer the HD280s (which is not to say that I don't love the 7506). My only complaint is that after wearing them for 6+ hours, it starts to get uncomfortable, as if I need to give my head a breather. I also agree that wearing it around the neck is not the most comfortable either.

However, this business is all about pain isn't it? haha. I may consider checking out other headphones soon though, so this thread is most useful!

It's personal preference at best. Comfort wise, everyone's head/body/ears are shaped somewhat different, so what fits one person ideally, may not fit another.

Sound wise.. it's what we get accustomed to hearing. If I was accustomed to the Sennheiser, it likely would be the opposite.  That said, I'm not in love the 7506 either.. something between the 7506 and the HD280 would be nice.

I wish I had more time and money to experiment with other HPs.

Right José, we endure enough pain already with long hours, hot and cold environments. And then there's the crafty tent food.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new Sennheiser HD26 Pro headphones on this thread. Has anyone tried them out? If so what do you think?

Link below :)

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/broadcasting-headphones-studio-recording-stage-hd-26-pro

I think these are relatively new, and folks who've been using their cans for a while don't switch easily. But I'm sure in the not so distant future more sound folks will be using them.

Have you tried them? How do you like them different than the HD-25??

I'm curious about the hd26 also. They don't seem to be readily available in the states yet. I love the little coily bit where the cord attaches to eliminate mechanical noise.

I'm also curious if anyone is using the 7506 "replacement" the 7510.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-MDR-7510-Headphones.html

My two pairs of 7506 are beat up and need replacing soon!

We have had them in stock for a while now and they are selling really well. I did try them out and personally I quite liked them, they seem more flexable/user friendly and although the cans are larger than the HD25's you wont notice the size difference that much when worn. I think they are more comfortable to wear too. Downside for me is that there isn't a velour ear pad available for them yet........how ever I'm not sure if the HD25's velours are cross compatible as they look like they could be about the same size.

The bonus to these headphones I believe is the fact that they feature an active guard switch to protect from sudden peaks above 105db.

I would be purchasing a pair for myself wiithout a doubt but I do reccomend that you try before you buy and compare side by side as everyone has their own preference when it comes to a good set of cans.

Hi Nate, has anyone who has bought the HD26 Pro experience any ultra-low level cable noise; mechanical noise; if the cable gets rub or bounces into anything, the noise travels up into the headphone. I am experiencing this and to my ears a sub-sonic rumble that is bugging the crap outta me. I ain't experiencing this with the HD25-1-II. I am wondering if the cable material is the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Once you go Ultrasone all the rest is gone. Just kidding. Well, half kidding. It's still a very subjective topic. Ultrasones get a little while to get accustomed to (no coloration) but once you're ok with them you save yourself a lot of ear fatigue, really. After two years using them, I once switched back to my older 7506s for quick shots ( tiny kit on the side for that) and after something like two minutes I felt like I was having pistons of compressed air pushing inside my ears. I guess I was spoiled by my Ultrasones (HF680) :-)

I have to admit I'm a little turned off by ultrasones' website which seems to me lacking in actual specs like response curves and flush with audiophile-centric marketing. I could be wrong.

Also, their product line is a little confusing to me, which models are the flat response version? And hi-fi or pro-line? ?

All this makes me think just more Sony's in my future or maybe I'll try the new HD26.