2nd shotgun suggestions

Jason Manzano

Hey Guys,

Newbie to the site.

I have an upcoming project and am considering buying a 2nd Shoeps CMIT to use for when I need to fly two booms. I am thinking that between them I can handle any situation (except maybe some low hanging ceilings). My problem is that I am intimidated by the price in the face of all the other upgrades I will be doing for this project. I know I can spend less and buy a pair of 416's or CS3's to match each other for double booming situations but neither will ever match my CMIT which I use for just about everything else. Any suggestions?

Do you have just one mic?

Perhaps a different mic altogether would be a better choice. Maybe an MKH50. It's good indoors and out, and matches ok as long as there's not a pass from one boom to another on the same actor mid-line.

That way you have another choice of mic when you're flying just one boom.

Robert

Match your current mic if you're going to have a 3 person crew. But, if you're mostly working in a 2 person crew, then I'd pick up a different mic option.

At some point in the future, you will probably be in a situation where you'll want to use a different mic than your CMIT (right angle Schoeps for low ceilings, 416 for extra bite), but not having that other mic option won't stick out in a mix as much as situations where you're needing 2 booms but have 2 different types of microphones.

Using 2 booms - then have the ability to match your mics.

Thanks Guys,

I do have a couple of other mics (cheapy's from when I was getting started) ntg2 and octava which I haven't used since I bought the CMIT. And my kmr81 which the CMIT beats every time.

I think I will sell these others, get an extra CMIT for now, and look towards buying some options on the next project.

I have an upcoming project and am considering buying a 2nd Shoeps CMIT to use for when I need to fly two booms. Any suggestions?

Too little information.. as senator said.. if you want to buy it.. buy it..

What comes to endless variables that this job is associated with...

I try to quiz the following in my mind before considering renting/buying anything for a project .. and it's not in order any kind of;

- What type of project? Dirty ENG or indie or short or feature or documentary...? each have different needs..

- Location location location!! check out the INT./EXT.? locations.. acoustics (hello reverb), noise print, weather etc & relatively to shooting dates & times (hello wind and ocean waves!) ..

- What the production is doing... much wide shots? actor movements, positions etc. & WHO is going to swing those booms and how much spaces can be treated.. some mics are more forgiving and sometimes you run in the middle of 3 steadicams etc...

- Reliability.. humidity..? weather..? MKH416 is a solid tank! NTG3 is cheaper tank but wider pattern.. Sanken CS3e seems to be pretty sweet for weather.. MKH50 for "sweaty humid" indoors work like a treat..

- What does the post production require.. talk to the re-recording mixers etc. before the shoot about their earlier pains :)

- Is the mic going to be in "disaster zone" .. crash mics..

- Other environmentals etc max SPLs.. sometimes things like less self-noise is critical for quiet sources... Sanken CS3e is not for quiet sources IMHO..

and by no means not complete list.. I do like versatile mics but there is absolutely no one mic for every application..