Rumor Has It

Personally I wear headphones 90-95% of the time when booming, and while mixing I like the boom op to wear them. I occasionally take my cans off during very complicated takes, such as dolly shots, where I have to move quickly. Often the movements in those shots need to be very precise in order to not only follow the talent but also to enable camera crew to pass (and do so without getting cables tangled). I find if I am monitoring those shots, and there is an unexpected sound, it distracts my attention from the movement i am trying to make. If there is a sonic problem with the take, the mixer will call it and ask to go again.

However the rest of the time I do alternate between having them completely on or as in my pic here on the left, just having them over one ear so I can still hear what is going on directly around me. There is no reason or logic to that decision, just how I feel at the time. Usually completely on though.

I'm also from Sweden, and have never seen a boom op not use headphones here. I know some who use relatively open phones so they can still hear things around them, but most use isolating ones (the HD25 is very common). I have boomed one day without phones because an adapter went missing, and with knowledge of how your chosen mic sounds, it's pattern etc, you can still do pretty well, but you can't be absolutely sure.

As Mark says, there could very well be situations where headphones could be in the way, or you need to hear more of your surroundings. The approach of having one cup off might be pretty good in the latter.

That boom operators in Europe don't wear headphones. There's no way this is true (at least today), but the other day was told this by a boom operator. Said that booming without headphones is doing it "European style".

Any story(ies) behind this?

Supposedly that's the way that the BBC trained their boom ops to operate.

That's not a rumor in France.

Here... boom operators, most of the time, doesn't have headphones. It's very confortable to have a guy that hears everything on the set.

Sometimes we debate about headphones or not.

So a mix throughout Europe and the UK.

" There's no way this is true (at least today), but the other day was told this by a boom operator. "

this comes up here regularly, and ...

WAY.

there are still a number of folks who do not wear headphones while booming in Europe...

Well they're very talented to be able to pull that off. The only trouble I could foresee is handling noise. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here. I haven't come across it I swear!

When I work, alone on doco, obviously I use a headphone. Here, on feature film boom op, mostly, doesn't have any headphone.

You should try, it's not as bad as you think. It has nothing to see with a dead horse. I have nothing against wearing or not an headphone.

What do you think about this Spanish boom op ? This video has already been seen on jwsound.

By reading jwsound, I noticed that our ways of working, our problems , our solutions are very similar. Here is a difference. It's not so huge.

http://youtu.be/4mPQL9PUI-w

I bet my boom op would love not hearing me in his ear a lot of the time, but even if I had a boom op who was GREAT without headphones, I'd find the lack of communication frustrating and lonely.

My boom op and I like him to be on set, but we are friends, so we like to talk too. No headphones, no conversation.

Booming is IMO a visual job. Look where the actors are, when they open their mouths, react. When I boomed I would get worse results with good headphones, as I would concentrate too hard on the aural side if things. IMO the mixer's job is to judge the audio. A good boom op can boom well without hedphones. I had a boom op who got criticized for never reacting to others on set because he always had his closed cans on. A bunch use just one in ear monitor, some only for com, others prefer to hear the mix, others like to hear the boom only. In ear is my preferred method because they usually keep one plug in their ear betwern takes so I can talk to them, while if you wear a HD25, you'll take it off from time to time.

When I work, alone on doco, obviously I use a headphone. Here, on feature film boom op, mostly, doesn't have any headphone.

You should try, it's not as bad as you think. It has nothing to see with a dead horse. I have nothing against wearing or not an headphone.

What do you think about this Spanish boom op ? This video has already been seen on jwsound.

By reading jwsound, I noticed that our ways of working, our problems , our solutions are very similar. Here is a difference. It's not so huge.

http://youtu.be/4mPQL9PUI-w

Very impressive pole-swinging. But what the boom op didn't know is that the mic developed a loud buzz until the transmitter battery went flat.

Just kidding of course, but in North America it is usually the boom op who is the first voice of the sound department on the set, and is expected to hear problems and announce them when needed.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with what you get used to, but it seems to me that booming without headphone -- knowing the mic's pattern and pointing it in the right direction -- is like operating the camera without a viewfinder -- knowing the lens size and pointing it in the right direction.

GT

I'm reminded of watching ace focus-pullers who don't have a monitor, but merely look at the actor and know exactly how far away they are from the lens. They develop a feel for it from years and years of experience, and get it exactly in focus every time. (Well, the good ones do.)

Me personally, I think it's insane not to boom without headphones or to mix without headphones (unless of course you had a private room with full-range speakers). It's counter to my way of thinking. Working wirelessly has changed my whole approach to both booming and monitoring, simply because it enables us to get out of the camera department's way and put the mike where we need it to be.

My boom op and I like him to be on set, but we are friends, so we like to talk too. No headphones, no conversation.

I agree, but take my advice: watch your routing! torsten_violent-smiley-neu1.gif