Sanken COS-11D for Zaxcom ,How to wire?

xiaoyan

hey, no offence - just found the simplicity part funny. :)

No offense taken. You were referencing the connector; I was referencing the wiring.

I've wired up, fixed, changed, adapted, and repaired so many things over the years that I don't necessarily see the Lemos to be as complicated as many do. A mite tricky -- but so are relationships and I haven't given them up.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After 5 months of using push pull I am very happy. Only 1 out of 7 failed but I think it was because I did not do a good job wiring it...

Hello Rado, i am about to wire my first lemo for zaxcom transmitters. I ordered 3 from a usual suspect. 3 screw-on/crimp versions arrived today. I too like to repair my own stuff when the need arrises and i am a sucker for strain relief connectors over crimp types in most cases. While i am always one for sexy looking smaller footprint connectors, a lav is where long term durability trumps in my eyes. I am contemplating sending these back in exchange for the other versions you mention above. How have your version of connectors held up to this point? I just know what a hard time i had with red tc lemos and those at least had the strain relief collar inside. I fear the reaper on these connectors i have in front of me... Hot damn are they expensive for me to screw up!

Ken

I've found some third party Lemo-compatible screw-on type connectors that I much prefer over the actual Lemo version.

They use a tightening collar strain relief (that can be reused) rather than the crimp style that Lemo screw-ons have. Picture a strain relief more like what Neutrik XLRs use.

These are easier to both wire and assemble and can be reused. One caution is that if you're removing a previous cable, be very careful not to pry the tiny strain relief "fingers" out too far (in order to release the old cable), as they can break.

These connectors seem to screw on and off the Zaxcom transmitters easier than the actual Lemos.

...Oh, and they cost less, too.

I stumbled onto a few some time back and then searched for months to find a source for them -- to finally discover they are readily available via our regular suppliers, if only you know what to ask for and where to tell the dealer to source them from.

...Gotta dash to a gig -- more later if anyone's interested.

I've found some third party Lemo-compatible screw-on type connectors that I much prefer over the actual Lemo version.

They use a tightening collar strain relief (that can be reused) rather than the crimp style that Lemo screw-ons have. Picture a strain relief more like what Neutrik XLRs use.

These are easier to both wire and assemble and can be reused. One caution is that if you're removing a previous cable, be very careful not to pry the tiny strain relief "fingers" out too far (in order to release the old cable), as they can break.

These connectors seem to screw on and off the Zaxcom transmitters easier than the actual Lemos.

...Oh, and they cost less, too.

I stumbled onto a few some time back and then searched for months to find a source for them -- to finally discover they are readily available via our regular suppliers, if only you know what to ask for and where to tell the dealer to source them from.

...Gotta dash to a gig -- more later if anyone's interested.

John that is great insight. I would love to know what to ask for as i am returning the 3 i have to exchange for push/ pulls at the moment. Would love to try these even if i need to get them from a different source.

Ken

I can't figure out why this is funny, but I guess everything is funny with the right perspective.

I, of course, was referring to the simplicity of wiring to two pins of a connector vs some TA5 configurations that require inter-connections to four or five pins along with a resistor.

Hi John,

Though two pin wiring is recommended by three wireless manufacturers, the two pin wiring of a standard COS-11 results in 4% distortion at moderately high audio levels with somewhat undefined gain. The source resistor in the TA5 configuration reduces that same audio level to 0.5%. This shows that in the real world, listeners really don't need exotic amplifiers with 0.0001% distortion. I base that on the fact that a lot of critical listeners use the COS-11 in the two wire mode.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Vasileios, Is there some reason you want to inflict such torment on me? You do know that Lemos are the spawn of the devil? I have a 4 pin duplex Lemo (2 male, 2 female) here that just torments and stares at me. Compared to wiring a Lemo, brain surgery is a walk in the park.

Eric

Hi Eric,

+1

And you have to pay (!) exotic prices for the suffering.

Best,

Larry F

Screw lemo fail often. Hard to repair without the proper tools

Push pull has better strain relief. Easy to repair.

Push pull however put a lot of strain on the transmitter female connector.

The best and the most reliable is microdot DPA adapter.

Rado, in my research i am finding both push/pull and screw on style microdot adapters. The fun never ends. Which ones did you go with? Hard to tell if there is much height difference from online photos of both types but i am leaning towards the screw on type.

Ken

nope, you are right about the shield being connected to pin 1 and the shell. even though it doesnt clearly show this on the sanken diagram.

Just got a chance to wire my new 3 pins today. I almost pulled what little hair i have left over this one. That sanken diagram says white to pin 1 and black to pin 3 and shield to shell, but shows a picture of ground tied to pin 1, not clearly indicated without tracing the lines from mic to connector on the diagram. I had no sound until i tried that. I think I got it right now after several tries. Hopefully I didn't screw up the connector too badly with all the resolders. The next ones should be a lot cleaner now that I feel like I know how to do it. John is right, you really do need to be patient and make sure you have nothing to tend to immediately after soldering these connectors.

Ken