Mixers vs pre's

Jordi Cirbian

I'm working with a cooper sound mixer 306 connected to an Aaton Cantar-x Recorder. I love the pre of my aaton cantar but realize that going throught the mixer pre and then aaton pres instead line input I get a more nicer color in my opinion. I know I'm using two pre`s... but I still love the result. Has anybody experienced this too?

Jordi

I'm working with a cooper sound mixer 306 connected to an Aaton Cantar-x Recorder. I love the pre of my aaton cantar but realize that going throught the mixer pre and then aaton pres instead line input I get a more nicer color in my opinion. I know I'm using two pre`s... but I still love the result. Has anybody experienced this too?

Jordi

If you are getting a color you like, go with it! As Ray Charles famously said: "it's all about the sound... I don't care if you've got ninety tracks, how does it sound, baby, how does it sound."

Jordi

If you are going in at line level to the Cantar, aren't you bypassing its pres anyhow? Or does all analog input pass through its mic pres?

phil p

If you are going in at line level to the Cantar, aren't you bypassing its pres anyhow? Or does all analog input pass through its mic pres?

Phil, the line inputs are completely different inputs from the mic inputs.

the five mic inputs offer a possibility to use line inputs by way of software - you have a Mic level and a high level and a very high level input option, and all the input filters are available to be used in any of these settings...

-vin

Hehe Vinod man! How is it going!

Sometimes, in this job cause we have no one to compare or to discuss how to do things, I'm wondering if the rest of the collegues are working on the same way or it´s just me! It's this sensation of working always by ourselves!

Man, I´ll be going to India very soon for the post of the movie I've done recently. I have the same skype Id, we´ll get in touch!

Jordi Cirbian