Lectro Block changing

Jordi Cirbian

There are lots of mixers still using B27 both above and below the legal cut-off at 698MHz. They believe a 100mW transmitter will not interfere with emergency services. Pretty accurate, if you ask me. But they are not legal to use.

From the FCC...

"What happens if I don’t stop using my 700 MHz Band wireless microphone?"

Using the 700 MHz Band for a wireless microphone (or similar device) could be extremely dangerous and could even be life threatening. Police and fire departments, and other public safety groups, use frequencies in the 700 MHz Band. Interference from wireless microphones can affect the ability of public safety groups to receive information over the air and respond to emergencies. Harmful interference to these communications could put you or public safety personnel in grave danger. In addition, use of your microphone can cause unlawful interference to consumer services provided using the 700 MHz Band.

Operation of wireless microphones in violation of these rules may subject the user to substantial monetary forfeitures and/or criminal penalties, including imprisonment. Because any operation in violation of these rules creates a danger of interference to important radio communications services and may subject the operator to severe penalties, this advisory emphasizes the importance of complying strictly with these legal requirements.

Robert

The FCC statement above is rather misleading. From 698 and up in block 27 and (I think all of block 28 -- at least most of it) is not used for emergency services. Those portions of the spectrum were sold in auction to private enterprise for their telecom uses such as cell, wi-fi, etc. Companies like Qualcom and AT&T bought them.

These airways, of course, belong to the public, so our government sold them to private enterprise. That will benefit us, don't you see, when private enterprise charges us for using our own airways.

I've ben using my block 28's for the last 2 years with no issues. I've done a total of 4 frequency coordinated events and when I did I used my others that legal.

Block 28 is SOOO wide open. I've never had a hit and I'm using 211/200c's!!

As much as we all move around, unless the FCC is looking for use in those frequency ranges, I cant imagine them actually finding me...

Matt, I (and I'm sure plenty of others) may agree with you, but I wouldn't go "broadcasting" that you are doing it on an open forum. That isn't smart when a simple google search can read the contents of this forum.

As for the FCC comment, John is correct, that space is not and has not ever been for "public safety" uses, they operate in restricted bands that are lower down and specified as 'govt only' on a big chart I have. The 700 spectrum in its entirety was taken and sold to the telcos as it has been well discussed here.

This is the rough timeline however for that band: the sale has already happened. Next, the buyers need to come up with technology according to the new rules of database-using and band-scanning, with an eye toward their desired use by the company. It isn't simple cell phone use, they want to make new devices. This is a good thing, because that means LOTS of testing. Some testing has already happened, and the designated area for this is Wilmington, NC. So don't go around there with any b28/b29/b30 stuff... The black vans could be anywhere.

Once a few speed-of-government rounds of testing are done and approved, then the devices have to be manufactured. Nothing can be legally built UNTIL they are licensed by the FCC, so that adds even more time to the process. After building this new tech... Then comes deployment. Contracts for space on existing towers need to be drawn up, permits for the work in each city, back haul connections to each antenna must be installed before the radio can be powered up... Think about how long it took for each round of major cell phone service upgrades to happen. This will not be fast.

I figure that we will have a conservative estimate of 3-4 years still of wide open space in the b28+ range... What you choose to do with that information is up to you. But doing it around anything coordinated (NFL, DNC, RNC, US Open, NASCAR, etc...) would not be smart.

" A friend of mine was tracked down by the FCC at NAB for using block 28... "

...and ???

" Next, the buyers need to come up with technology according to the new rules of database-using and band-scanning, with an eye toward their desired use by the company. "

not really...

you are co-mingling and confusing unlicensed WSD's with the licensed "owners" of the 700MHz band

" Nothing can be legally built UNTIL they are licensed by the FCC, "

also not quite true... manufacturers of products to be sold need to submit their equipment for type acceptance...