need some help - G3 weak TX power an issue

mkfotos

Hey all, I need to solve an issue, either by improving functionality of current gear (Sennheiser EW 100 ENG G3 system), or possibly stepping up to a better system.

The issue:

- talent (football coach) wearing G3 lav

- distant (still on-field, or no more than 20-30ft from field) camera with same-band/frequency G3 small receiver not picking up the audio

So, could I solve this by picking up a rack-mount RX, the EM 100 G3, with its included antennae? If not, would better antennae work, and if so, which?

If not, what would be your recommendation for a real solution? I can't drop several K on a new Lectro, so I might have to rent...

It starts breaking up at a certain distance (say, 40 yards), then just goes into full static farther out.

You're losing the signal from the transmitter when it goes into full static. Getting the rx up higher might help, getting closer to the tx could help. Renting a set of Lectros will help solve most of your issues.

Eric

Wow! Don't know how much different they are from Sennheiser G2s, the model versions I use.

Anyway, I would say definitely keep both receiver and transmitter polarized to each other. Make sure their antennas are parallel to each other as much as possible.

I always make sure antenna and audio cables aren't tangled with each other on both transmitter and receiver. Regarding hearing distortion, make sure the phantom power is off since the receiver audio cable is unbalanced.

And with my experience in working with G2s (not sure about G3s), I suggest try manual tuning for clean frequencies instead of autoscanning. Hope these suggestions help.

Wow! Don't know how much different they are from Sennheiser G2s, the model versions I use.

And with my experience in working with G2s (not sure about G3s), I suggest try manual tuning for clean frequencies instead of autoscanning. Hope these suggestions help.

I've found the range of the G3s to be an improvement over G2s but you are definitely at the limits of the range around that distance. Of course your rf environment has more to do with this than almost any other factor. I agree with manually finding frequencies. Use the Sennheiser frequency finder on their website and search starting with a very small radius and gradually step it up to a wider radius. The frequencies that stay green the longest are usually pretty safe.

You can also get a bit more range by using a Lectro receiver like a 411 in mode 3 although at that point you might as well rent the tx as well.

Maybe I should get one of those $150 pocket spectrum analyzers as well.

I talked to Sennheiser tech support, and they told me the following:

- raising the receiver antenna should help (I might just tape the RX to a C stand and raise it up; ghetto, but it can't hurt to try)

- using a rack unit with better antennae should help

--- of course, raising those better antennae will help even more

" you need more output power. the distance is high. "

maybe, but probably not really...

what Senn said, plus get the YX antenna away from the talent's body (even 1/8 inch), and does all the RF have to go through the body to get to the RX ?? move the RX closer to the TX, and maybe better line of direct sight (the human body absorbs a lot of the TX RF)...

also try different frequencies...

this is all "Production Sound 101"

" you need more output power. the distance is high. "

maybe, but probably not really...

what Senn said, plus get the YX antenna away from the talent's body (even 1/8 inch), and does all the RF have to go through the body to get to the RX ?? move the RX closer to the TX, and maybe better line of direct sight (the human body absorbs a lot of the TX RF)...

also try different frequencies...

this is all "Production Sound 101"

thank you for backup

:)

my guess is they are broken - 10m they should do absolutly fine if there is nothing in the same freq. Get that 150 Dollar Frequency explorer - will help you in future. you can check RF level on receiver when transmitter is out but that sennheiser scale starts at very high level. you could have RF decreasing your range.

check if RF level is not full scale at 5m direct sight. If its not something is broken - most probably bad contact internal antenna.

and: most wireless have more power in the middle of their freq. spectrum than at the edges.