Sony f65

Starting a feature with this camera end of the month. Anyone have any advice with regards timecode etc? We have some test days coming up but would be good to go into them with some idea of how it operates :) so far thinking Deneke sync box on the camera as experience says Sony is normally no good at holding time. Shame we're not using alexa...

Did a shoot on the F65 this week. Recorded sound to the camera with double system backup which in the end wasn't requested. Post was happy with sound off the camera. I jammed at the beginning of the day but we only shot until lunch so I didn't get a chance to check drift but all in all it seems like a reasonable beast of a machine. We shot outdoors so noise wasn't an issue but I did notice considerable fan noise after it hears up

Did a shoot on the F65 this week. Recorded sound to the camera with double system backup which in the end wasn't requested.

Chris, I downloaded and read the F65 manual, and the words "audio" or "sound" do not appear anywhere, nor could I find an audio input. Has this been changed from the manual? (Mine is the 1st edition.) The same manual is still on the Sony Pro website:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-F65RSPAC1/

It is the very familiar Sony audio bridge. XLR in and 5 pin or mini out. It only takes analogue - no AES and yes timecode in is BNC

Wow, you gotta wonder why they completely avoid mentioning audio in the F65 manual! On one of the last pages of the manual, they cite every input/output connector, and audio is still not mentioned. The BNC connector for timecode is there. There is a mysterious connector that says "External I/O - 5-pin Lemo," but that seems to be RS-232. If there is a 5-pin XLR, I can't figure out where it is or how you'd adjust it. (I'm supposed to be taking a class on the F65 in a month -- we'll see if that happens.)

There's 27 pages in the Sony F65 manual devoted to rattling off all the GNU Unix operating system license rules, but not a single word in the manual on Audio or Sound! I'm baffled.

At least you can see the inputs on the brochure on page 3: http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/assetDownloadController/f65broch.pdf?path=Asset%20Hierarchy$Professional$SEL-yf-generic-281566$SEL-yf-generic-285046SEL-asset-294016.pdf&id=StepID$SEL-asset-294016$original&dimension=original

Seems it's on a module you put on the cam. Maybe the info is in this module's manual...

" why they completely avoid mentioning audio in the F65 manual! "

maybe Sony feels audio (or sound) should really be double system...

I seem to recall reading that, with one of their previous high-end cameras, if someone was shooting for a Sony gig, their job specifications stated that audio must be double-system. Does anyone remember this?

Just an update on this from me. We've now had two test days with the f65. It's a big camera for sure! The fan does seem noisy compared with an alexa, although not too worrying as still much quieter than a film camera. Will see how that changes in hot interior scenes...

The timecode input is on the recording deck that attaches to the back. It is a bnc. We've attached an ambient sync box as don't trust it to hold time on its own but the Sony rep said it would. Having left it without the box on for a while I think it would prob be fine but better safe than sorry.

One interesting point is that post said the sound and picture rushes were all consistently 1 frame out of sync. The Sony rep said that was correct and is to do with information processing time. The camera guys set the camera time to 1 frame forward and post seem happy that has sorted it.

Simple menu system and everything is pretty normal and straight forward to use. If the fan noise doesn't turn out to be too bad then it seems like a nice camera to work with, so long as its not me heaving it about all day :)

One interesting point is that post said the sound and picture rushes were all consistently 1 frame out of sync. The Sony rep said that was correct and is to do with information processing time. The camera guys set the camera time to 1 frame forward and post seem happy that has sorted it.

I can't believe they would even mention this. If it's consistently 1 frame, then it's not "out of sync" -- it's just an offset, which is not the same thing. One button in the Avid compensates for that.

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to check how the shot went after all regarding camera noise?

I know it has been some years but in case anyone wants to chip in.

I have a long feature coming up with 2 of these so is there anything else I need to look out for? 

Thanks

ps. What kind of input is that "audio module" can it handle Mic? 

Edited by Erkal Taskin

Just wanted to check how the shot went after all regarding camera noise?

I know it has been some years but in case anyone wants to chip in.

I have a long feature coming up with 2 of these so is there anything else I need to look out for? 

Thanks

ps. What kind of input is that "audio module" can it handle Mic? 

​The recorder module will take both line and mic levels. It has 2 XLR connectors. You set all of the timecode and audio settings on the recorder module. 

The camera isn't the quietest camera. If you are filming quiet interiors you will hear it running. Unfortunately there isn't a fan off in record mode option. I think it has 3 or 4 fan speed options. We usually use Auto 1 I think. Can't remember what the difference is between auto 1 and auto 2. Basically the fan stays low until it needs to spin faster to cool under warm/hot conditions. You may be able to build some sort of "blimp" or fan noise deflector to help reduce the fan noise during those quiet interiors.