Power consumption - AC vs. Inverter

RPSharman

Okay technical wizards.  Help me with this... I put a meter on my two pieces of gear I run off AC (Mackie 1642 & RME FF800).

When plugged directly into AC at 118v the FF800 by itself metered 21w, 31vA, .26A - The Mackie metered 30w, 38vA, .34A.  Together they were 52w, 66vA, .56A.  So about 6A @ 12v DC.  The watt rating of the units were accurate per manufacturers specs.  20w for the Fireface and 30w for the Mackie.  The draw seemed to not be affected in any way by any settings or bandwidth changes in the FF800, and did not vary in any significant way on the Mackie when additional inputs/outputs or p48 or any other functions were used.

I then plugged the units into my inverter.  This is a high-end and efficient 125w pure sine wave inverter.  The voltage readout was about 116v.  The Mackie numbers were exactly the same 30w, 38vA, .34A.  But the RME FF800 read 22w, 41vA, .34A.  Together it was 53w, 75vA, .65A.  Closer to 7A @ 12v DC.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the Mackie power consumption remained consistent when powered through the inverter, but the RME FF800 amperage consumption increased?