Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen, Any idea weather the 664 will allow the ganging of channels where the trim for each can be to be assigned to 1 fader. It is my understanding that the 788 will do this and it would be a curcial feature for me as i will be using a Soundfield sps200 and this is a requirement for using it. So basically i'd be assigning 4 channels trim controls to 1 fader. Thanks for the input. Looks like a heal of a unit and a much better value than either the 744 or 788. or even the nomad 8 for that matter. Although the nomad is more resonable and feature packed that either of the sd recorders.

Base cost for base models there's huge differences (get what you pay for). 4k$ for 10 tracks at 48k (this is an ENG mixer, not a sfx field recorder) you're getting a lot of bang for the buck. Nomads real strengths don't really kick in until 700 to 1800$ later, so ya....the nomad should have more flexibility at that price range.

Both machines are awesome, just get the one that tailors to your needs, or get both :)

I tend to side with Zaxcom's naming scheme. Metadata entry is plenty and WaveAgent is only a minor extra step, and reduces the potential for operator error.

I'm curious though: can 664 do transcription recording on one of its two cards?

I agree that I am also sold on the Zaxcom naming scheme.

as for the cards, it seems yes. Somebody on Facebook said one card could be, for example, all WAV iso files and the SD card could be a mixed down MP3 for transcription. Does the other SD machines do TC stamped MP3? I never had to do that on SD gear.

Cross posting from a simultaneous thread on the same topic:

About the shipping dates of the 664:

There is some conflicting information about projected delivery dates. The information Trew Audio has from Sound Devices is that only store demos of the 664 are expected to ship in late September, and reseller stock (product available for selling to customers) will begin shipping some time in October. This was just now confirmed by a conversation with Sound Devices, and is why the Trew Audio online store mentions the SD-664 as being available in October (http://www.trewaudio...nnel-Mixer.html).

Sound Devices has historically been pretty good about being close to their projected shipping dates, and reasonably soon after having product available to meet demand. So those who want to be among the first, you can place your order now to hold your place in line. For those who want to wait a while to make sure any bugs are sorted out, I think it's a safe bet to plan to purchase before the end of the year for tax considerations.

Glen Trew

Guess no one noticed you don't get a big fat Record and Stop button until you purchase the CL-6.. With no C-Link or general purpose I/O like the 788t, you could not do remote roll from say a Cooper.. BUT, putting this together with a Sonosax or Audio Developments 12 channel cart mixer is a very interesting possibility!!

Wow. This is the mixer (+more) that I was describing just yesterday to our local Sound Devices Dealer. I could tell that he was itching to tell me something.. all I could get from him was just wait and see. Little did I know that the announcement would come less than 12 hours later. I suppose this means that I should be first to place an order seeing my dreams have been answered! In fact only 30 minutes ago I had a phone call from said Dealer to see if I had checked my emails. Sad to say, I have not placed my order, as much as I'd love to. Time will tell..how long can I resist? .. I've only just settled my 552 into it's lovely Petrol 614 bag, and it's all just perfect..except for....I WANT!!

I was on the road coming back from a little vacation when the news hit --- glad I got back in time to read the massive number of posts we have had in 3 different topic headings! One thing I am going to do is move things over to just the one topic heading: Sound Devices 664 so we can keep things under control. This is what we tried to do with Nomad and later, successfully, with Zaxcom MAXX. I think it will be a good thing to consolidate these posts under Equipment. After I move some things around I want to make my own comments about this new arrival. I will say now that I am impressed and the 664 looks like a very worthy addition to Sound Devices products line up (and looks to me initially to satisfy a lot of the checkboxes on many of our members' wish lists for Sound Devices).

Thank you sound devices! From all us die hard SD fans who were thinking of wandering across to Zaxcom land: we're back! A return to products being released with a full feature set, not waiting months for features to be unlocked. And don't SD's machines look gorgeous?? Interested though, what are its temperature specs. The Nomad runs cold which is a great aspect. And is significantly lighter at 3.8lbs WITH batteries compared to 664 at 4.75lbs without batteries. Also the SD is a lot wider at 12.6" compared to Nomad's 9.9". Could be a little cumbersome over the shoulder? But I still love it! And $700 less than the Nomad 6.

I'm thrilled about this device. IMO, it's what I would have liked Nomad to be, but that is for my particular line of work that focuses heavily on ENG work. I have a 788T for reality jobs, but I can't say how much I like the mixer functionality where everything is a button away, not a menu away. Nomad wowed me with the returns on a recorder, but in the end, the menus seemed to be far too complicated to really use the thing for straight up ENG style work.

They are all brilliant devices, but it just depends what your workflow is. This makes a beautiful machine to address the ever-growing trackcounts needed for less sophisticated shoots. For reality, the 788T/Nomad are still king by a mile, but I love the fact that you could run off and do some reality-style work with an ENG machine as well.

Cheers to SD for their new release. I look forward to reading the comments as folks start taking this thing through its paces.