Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me that one would pre-order this without knowing anything about: power draw with/without CL6, file structure/naming conventions, heat generation, real-world screen visibility, rotary encoder scheme, ease & speed of menu interface, metadata fields and size, CF/SD card compatibility, RF generation, USB options, sound reports, or ever seeing a preliminary operator manual or detailed video. Or, considering how wide a bag package would be on a 12.6" device with XLR's coming out both sides. Oh, and then there's the client watching your 1st adoptor performance...lest anyone forget the PSC RF Multi SMA...

T-power? I think one could safely assume there is no T-power on this device.

Am I understanding this correctly that with the CL-6, there will be six mic inputs and six line inputs for a capability of 12 ISO tracks (I assume the other four tracks are mix tracks to add up to the 16)

THANKS!

This is exciting. I hope the 700 series updates are right around the corner.

It amazes me that one would pre-order this without knowing anything about: metadata fields and size, power draw with/without CL6, file structure/naming conventions, heat generation, real-world screen visibility, rotary encoder scheme, ease & speed of menu interface, CF/SD card compatibility, RF generation, USB options, or ever seeing a preliminary operator manual or detailed video. Or, considering how wide a bag package would be on a 12.6" device with XLR's coming out both sides. Oh, and then there's the client watching your 1st adoptor performance...lest anyone forget the PSC RF Multi SMA...

I don't see anything wrong with pre-ordering. The dealers have often offered this and many took them up on this sort of pre-order for Zaxcom Nomad and Maxx, as well as other items. I believe they do not require any money up front and when the item actually ships (which is anybody's guess notwithstanding what the company says their target date is) and you decide you don't want it, the next person in line just moves up.

I view the width as an advantage. The 700 series stuff does it's best to miniaturize their gear, but in my opinion, to the detriment of usability. Having a 12" wide work surface in front of you is a luxury with nice big faders and lots of direct access switches and pots. I still hope they take a look at the smaller end of the scale too, though, in the form of a revamped 302 class device. I have a feeling it will follow soon.

Almost 200 messages in 8 hours! Not bad. It's clear that SD is still in the fight.

The real question for me is if they plan on releasing a new full-featured recorder (beyond the 788) next year.

that is the reason why i was a bit disappointed today, I really was hoping for a knockout recording device

I'm actually surprised at the amount of wishing and wanting going on. Let's be realistic. The 442, when it came out, was a game changer. And it's cost was a little over a thousand less than the 664. Yet, compare the 2 and what you're getting(granted it was years ago and technology has made leaps and bounds). The 552 is a thousand less and compare it to the 664 and how many more options you're getting with that minimal cost increase. They released a phenomenal product for a great price and people still complain. I think SD has hit it out of the park with the 664.

With CL6 it looks like the additional inputs are probably not able to be phantom powered... but seriously you will already have 6 inputs that can push 48v. When is the likelihood of needing 12 phantom powered inputs on an ENG device anyway?

Agreed. Most high end wireless systems recommend you output from the RX at line level anyway. If you are running more than six boom mics on a production, I'm glad I'm not doing your job!

I was on the road coming back from a little vacation when the news hit --- glad I got back in time to read the massive number of posts we have had in 3 different topic headings! One thing I am going to do is move things over to just the one topic heading: Sound Devices 664 so we can keep things under control. This is what we tried to do with Nomad and later, successfully, with Zaxcom MAXX. I think it will be a good thing to consolidate these posts under Equipment. After I move some things around I want to make my own comments about this new arrival. I will say now that I am impressed and the 664 looks like a very worthy addition to Sound Devices products line up (and looks to me initially to satisfy a lot of the checkboxes on many of our members' wish lists for Sound Devices).

Thanks Jeff.

I already owned a SD788, if not it would be my first choice. It seems to be very well done. Bravo !

I already owned a SD788, if not it would be my first choice. It seems to be very well done. Bravo !

And this is why I will keep my 788.

To me it doesn't seem the 664 is made to replace the 788. If you want a device that has all the features of the 788, then you should buy the 788.

The 644 is 2/3 the price. I wouldn't count on it doing everything the 788 does. (wifi, file naming, keyboard support, etc)

If it does do all that, then great.

I bet there will be a smartphone app for metadaty entry and remote roll (hence no rec button?). The Wifi app for the 788 rocks, so why wouldn't they offer one for the 664?

Same reason Zaxcom doesn't offer Zaxnet on the Maxx. And why Sony doesn't offer timecode INS and outs on cheaper dslr's. One is a towncar the other a caddy. If you want those features then buy the caddy.

is the same thing with all the people that cry about what the nomad doesn't have. no, metadata entry on the nomad isn't great, not it's not touch screen, etc.

if you want a cart solution with all the bells and whistles to do a feature than buy the device that was built and designed with that use in mind. Don't buy an eng bag solution and then complain it doesn't do everything a device that cost reasonably more does that was designed to be a cart solution.