• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"this destroys the 744T"

oh, grow up...

this is product line evolution...

this is a mixer product that records.

the 7xx series are recorders

"(Anyone agree to keeping token channels of T alive or am I alone on this one?)"

pretty much

I record effects (so really need 192 ...)

you need a recorder, not a mixer.

(and frankly, I question your need for 192, but understand your desire for it.)

visited a presentaion of Paul Isaacs from Sound Devices tonight. Played with the 664 briefly. Very nice. Functionality and menu structures are great. Metadata is editable (tracknames, scene, take, notes etc)

I think it's a bit on the big side but ... it's very nice! Very curious how it sounds.

I am sure the traffic, light ballasts, generator, set talking, people walking around, fans, foggers and rain gags will sound just fine...

I am talking about a single push/rotate/menu button next to the screen on the front of the recorder....on 7 recorders you have to press menu on the front first and then find the scroll on the side....

If you notice, there is a push/menu design on the 788T/744T way before the Nomad. It was simply mounted on the side. Nothing new here.

Nomad got sonosax xlrs.

664's got nomad's button... and nomad's got SD's xlr connectors...

gosh...that'll never end...

SX62R_side_hd.jpg

I'm talking about a single row of XLR connections somewhere on the recorder. But seen that way...Sonosax's got Aaton's XLRs... so nomad's got Cantar's xlrs in the end. Ok.

I'd sure like a display on the left like Nagra's and older SQNs... I boom with left hand and use right for pots... but I can easily work around that...I remember a discussion about that a few months ago and I wondered how many guys boom with right hand. I never really checked that out while working with other soundguys on bigger sets.

Just saw a video of the screen menus. Kudos to SD for implementing a Nomad push/menu design. I love it. And after working with 788t yesterday I understand why they went that way. Saves real estate on the recorder and it is easier to operate ... imho...

All features of gear come from some where and also evolve from the products before them. I'm sure the menu navigation on the 664 will have things that the Nomad doesn't that will be adopted by other products in the future.

It will also probably have bugs like all other products. The 552 had bugs and needed updates, it's just the nature of the beast.

That being said, I'm excited to get my hands on one. I've always loved SD products.

Just to inform you guys, just talked with a guy at the petrol bags booth here at IBC and of course they are already busy designing a 614-like bag for the 664. They told me that if SD informed them beforehand they would have come up with one sooner!

Fantastic news, and I'm sure they will design it well.

Just to inform you guys, just talked with a guy at the petrol bags booth here at IBC and of course they are already busy designing a 614-like bag for the 664. They told me that if SD informed them beforehand they would have come up with one sooner!

EXCELLENT!! I just wrote them an email yesterday requesting that very thing too :)

I am talking about a single push/rotate/menu button next to the screen on the front of the recorder....on 7 recorders you have to press menu on the front first and then find the scroll on the side....

If you would look at the video and the spec sheet for the 664, there is a Menu button on top of the scroll knob. They moved the scroll knob to the front of the unit and moved the menu button closer. I didn't see any Push/Hold Down/Scroll 1 knob Menu design here. Once again, there is nothing new about this design. Just some repositioning for better ergonomics. As for the LCD being on the right, the SD 442/552 have their meters on the right while having all their faders on the left. It would only be a natural that SD put the LCD screen (displaying the meters) on the right when designing the 664. I'm pretty sure SD didn't "borrow' that design from the Nomad.

I was really glad to see Sound Devices announce the 664. I recently sold my 552 and 744t as I wanted to upgrade to a higher track count. All of my professional gear has been made by SD and I have been very happy with it. I have had no serious failures. If I hit the record button I got my tracks. The build quality is great and I am use to the knobs and switches.

I had never heard of a "transflective screen," which is what the 664 will have, so I googled a bit and came up with this:

Transflective Displays

Transflective displays basically adapt to their surroundings, making them somewhat superior to their reflective counterparts. When color is needed, transflective displays have become very common and often popular to use. A transflective liquid crystal display reflects most of the ambient light that may surround it and adapts to the amount of light within the user's area.

In the image below, figure 1 shows a transflective LCD panel in a high ambient lighting environment. In this case, the sensor within the panel allows the backlight to be turned off (reflective mode). While figure 2 shows a low lighting environment, which causes the sensor to turn the backlight on for ultimate readability (transflective mode).

transflective-modes.gif

Advantages Of Transflective Displays

The displays have a split pixel design, which allows it to operate without a backlight (reflective mode) in good ambient lighting and in poor lighting.

There is a sensor within the display that tells the display to operate in reflective mode or switch to backlight usage. In poor lighting, the backlight is turned on to properly display the image. This allows the display to be useful in both high and low lighting. A well designed transflective color lcd can operate and maintain high contrast ratio, even in full sunlight of 100 klux.

This ability to turn off the backlight in high ambient situations is also a battery saver. Looking forward to seeing this screen in action.

Bob