Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't even get me started about customs. IMO one of the worst institutions we have. But many companies' international price politics frequently cause my eyebrows to raise. Why does a Tascam HS-P82 cost 3000 $ in the US and 5000 Euros in Germany??? You could buy a plane ticket to NYC and buy it there and even have a dinner and still pay less. OK, maybe just breakfast, but still the difference is crazy.

HEY SD

Let's get a few of these shipped over to Professional Sound Services! I've been on the waiting list for months, and I don't thing they've even gotten their Demo unit yet, while I'm hearing reports of other dealers getting demos and resale units.

E.

I'm on that list too, and when I called today, the salesman guessed it would be about 10-12 weeks. He also said that they have not delivered any of the pre-ordered units. When I mentioned that PSS was not listed as an authorized reseller, the salesman said he didn't know what I was talking about.

When I spoke to Gotham, they said that they have been delivering them at a rate of about 3 a week, and currently there are about 40 people on the waiting list. I was also quoted as having to wait 10-12 weeks unless SD ramps up production and delivery.

Marc

have anyone else problems with CF Cards? I use a San Disk Extreme Pro and after formatting it i have an "I/O Media Error"

Any suggestions. cheers

No problems to report but just for general info I'm using Transcend Premium 400x CF cards without any problems so far.

have anyone else problems with CF Cards? I use a San Disk Extreme Pro and after formatting it i have an "I/O Media Error"

Any suggestions. cheers

Not specific to any manufacturer, but in some cases I have formatted the card with a computer, then formatted it in the recorder.

After that trying different cards in the machine, and trying the card in question in another machine should help narrow down the glitch.

Is the card usable in other devices? 788T/744T?

Yes, but now on the 664,too

Not specific to any manufacturer, but in some cases I have formatted the card with a computer, then formatted it in the recorder. After that trying different cards in the machine, and trying the card in question in another machine should help narrow down the glitch.

Problem resolved, thanks

My pre-order was placed mid September and with SD sending so few out their door so far Trew tells me it's still going to be a couple months before I might have mine in hand. Maybe they didn't anticipate such a demand but I'm wondering why the delay in getting them built? I certainly don't want any sacrifice in build quality just to get a bunch out the door but had thought I'd see it before the new year.

Nothing new...while this is not really a specific answer (which would have to come from SD), it is pretty common with new product launches to limit the first batch or two to smaller, limited production runs, and only order specific parts (like circuit boards, etc) in similarly small-ish batches, and await success with their initial limited run. as we have regularly seen, it is pretty common that some changes will be made in the initial batches as broader (than the Beta-testing) field experience dictates.

If larger batches were let loose, then not only would there be unhappy recipients, but also there would be the multiple, and costly issues in dealing with the recall of a larger number of initial units, and also the possible issues and costs of dealing with inventories of unusable parts.

so...

patience!

personally, I always prefer to wait for the third batch!

I'm new to the forum. My name is Steve Wytas from Audio 911. I have a couple of 664's on order, but they are probably on a UPS truck in Staten Island, NY. About the 664, any idea if there are plans to have the 664 be used a USB interface like the Mix-Pre D? That would be a cool feature....

In reference to the USB interface... I would say no. As it stands now, you cannot even access the card files via USB... It's only real function is for a keyboard or factory service (which I think is a shame).

To everyone waiting: In a conversation with Jon, he mentioned to me that production time is somewhat dictated by the fact that there are only two American companies capable of manufacturing the required 11 layer PCB that the 664 uses (at least to SD's standards). In my opinion, this is worth the wait. Firstly, they are keeping the work in the US. Secondly, they are able to constantly QC the product that is being manufactured for them.

The machine is VERY solidly built. I personally feel the slower release is a testament to SD's devotion to not releasing a physically compromised (or sub-par) product.

I would pay an extra $1,000 for a weatherproof 664. Why does Sound Devices not offer this as an option ?

Not quite sure what you mean. The entire front panel -- LCD, switches and pots -- is gasketed against water ingress.

Next to impossible to do anything to the side panels what with all the XLR connectors on there.