Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consumers. They don't know what they want.

In one time want the smallest mixer / recorder with 12 inputs and at the other time want bigger screens and buttons..

Have you try anyone of us to design in computer mixer / recorder in small canva?

It's to hard to have small canva with big buttons and big screen.

Give a break to designers.

No need to give the designers a break from my point of view - they have designed the perfect platform for about 60% (maybe more) of what I do and I already own the gear that works for the balance of my work. In truth it would be fine with me if the box was a little bigger, but I'm not the target market. Most of the users of this device will be younger and stronger than I am and I'm surprised how many folks clearly younger than I am think the 664 is too big or too heavy. My trifling ergonomic gripes about the 664 have more to do with my personal limitations after working with my hands for 40 years not with the device. After 3 days on location with the device, I'm pretty certain that adding it to my equipment package was an excellent choice. It sounds fantastic and is a very flexible mixer-recorder, especially for those of us in the commercial, high end industrial and documentary markets.

Best regards,

Jim

I ordered (got in line) for the 664 (few weeks ago) and two days later found out they went up on the price $4500. Should have got in line in Oct. Still it's a good deal but could have saved $500 if I got an early start.

They jumped the price $600? that's not cool. We should bombard Sound Devices with emails... nice professional emails.

I only do about 20 days a year in my small market. I have a 552 and had been debating a 744t. Most of my shoots are either to camera or DSLR's for local spots, small docs, etc. When this came out, it was the perfect fit. But since I didn't get my order in early, I had just been waiting for production to catch up with back-orders. Now an extra $600 will really hurt. Very dissappointed.

... off to write my email.

First: I don't drink ouzo. :P

Second: 788 and Nomad it's on the right way of design.

Third: The analog mixers have different design than recorders.

Fourth: Pierre are you in right way what you want.

Five: All women's are beautiful in Elle Magazine but the others is more beautiful. :)

I ordered (got in line) for the 664 (few weeks ago) and two days later found out they went up on the price $4500. Should have got in line in Oct. Still it's a good deal but could have saved $500 if I got an early start.

If you pre-ordered it before the price increase, your dealer should honor the old price. And BTW, it's $4595. Price went up $600.

If you pre-ordered it before the price increase, your dealer should honor the old price. And BTW, it's $4595. Price went up $600.

I ask about that and the thing is I'm/we are in line and no $ has exchanged. You get in line so when the next batch comes in you have 1st (or in my case #26th at Trew Nashville) dibs on purchase. But the way I look at it it's the cost of doing business. I can buy a Nomad, I've considered that, but being a SD guy, I've had the 442, and worked a lot with the 744 & 788's. I've worked it/them all over the world in every environment imaginable & they have never failed me. So I like and am comfortable with SD work flow. Also after talking to a mixer friend Brian A. over in Houston (he has 2 788t's) who bought a Nomad and sold it here on JW. We discussed how he just didn't feel comfortable with the Nomad's system workflow so I decided against buying the Nomad. Especially since I know Brian is much more tech savvy than myself.

I guess if I wanted to spend $400 on a mixer I'd be in the A/V world lol.

Also for the record I miss John Algee @ Trew Nashville. He was a great guy who really knew the business. This is the first "big ticket" item I've purchased without his input since '98. Have a great retirement John.

I'm trying right now the new 664, and I'm trying to find a fault in the machine, but for now the only weak point is the internal power supply (5 AA battery), but to be honest it is also stated in the manual that the power internal power supply is to be considered as a buffer.

The device is very light, very intuitive and fast in the input settings.

With a lipo battery 2600 mAh 14.8 V, recording with one microphone with phantom power and 5 line channels and a receiver Lectro sra powered by the battery, has been on for about 6 hours, not bad!

Very fast to change the name's take.

Useful the short key to increase the number scene ( like a 788t )

very defined and well-illuminated display, visible also in critical condition

Than the Nomad that I had the chance to try, it seems to me a very reliable machine, in the best tradition of sound devices.

One thing that is not very clear in the specifications and in the manual :

- With the two cards inserted the device records simultaneously on both boards, creating a backup, (( cool )

I managed to sneak in just before the price increase with Sweet Water and they are telling me that it will be in next week sometime however they did say it would have been in there inventory the 3rd. so im wondering if its still going to be febuary i asked the sales person if that were true but he says they will have a shipment in. i just dont know what to think.

Thanks to a tip from Olivier P, I was able to make the 664 fit into a Petrol PS601 by cutting the rigid section. I got 6 UCR411's, an LMA, a TRX900/STA100, NP-1, BDS in the bag. Cables are accessible but it is a tight fit. In order to remover the cards, I must unzip the back zippers which actually works fine. Best of all, it's got handles. And this is a very compact bag.

post-639-135495833751.jpg

post-639-135495849603.jpg

Edit. This is a PS601 (equivalent of a Pegz-1)