Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

After several days on the job with the 664:

1 NP-1 has run 664 and 1-3 Lectro 411a all day for a fairly typical day.

No discernable heat buildup whatsoever.

Freq scans on blk 22 and 26 are clean and exact same with 664 off/on/rec/plybk.

The ONLY anomaly I have noticed thus far is that tone set to oscillate L will pulse the outputs but

not the headphone monitor.

Very happy with this machine.

Glen

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it hard to believe that the 664 would draw close to the same power as the 788. I'll do some testing and see what my results are. I'm in Miami where I often times I work on the beach, in the swamp or on a boa in the direct sunlight. The 788 will shut down in these types of enviroments. I was hoping the 664 would handle extreme heat better. Have to wait for summer for that.

where I often times I work on the beach, in the swamp or on a boa in the direct sunlight. The 788 will shut down in these types of enviroments.

I have had my 788 in many hot places in FL and GA in direct sunlight it has been so hot it burned my skin when touching bottom panel. It has never shut down on me ever in 3 years

I have had my 788 in many hot places in FL and GA in direct sunlight it has been so hot it burned my skin when touching bottom panel. It has never shut down on me ever in 3 years

That's reassuring to know thanks, mine has never got that hot!

But useful to not necessarily worry if it did.

Curious to know is that with the HD or SSD version?

RTV stands for room temperature vulcanizing. Silicone products offer excellent release characteristics, ideal for casting epoxy, polyester, polyurethane and other plastic parts. The compounds will bond to primed surfaces. Silicone rubbers cure in deep sections as needed for electrical potting and encapsulating, casting rubber parts and flexible prototype tooling.

It works well for electrical potting and encapsulation of the connections in the XLR shell.

David

A Dremel with a cutoff disc makes quick work of the XLR barrel.

I have no idea what RTV is...

Instead of cutting up an XLR, I will use just the " barrel" porting of a right angle XLR and drill a hole in the side just big enough for the cable. After I solder the cable, I fill the connector with epoxy.

Tom

I myself have not seen any RF Bleed in my 4 Block 20 411's. the machine runs cool. I have had 2 lockups while not in record and strongly believe that it is media related. I strongly recommend using on the cards listening the site. Starting to see a pattern with lockups on units usin unapproved media. Other than that, and the 4db tone issue, which has been fixed and will appear in the next firmware, I love my 664. I feel these are the best sounding mic pre's yet.

Hiya

Had my 664 for the last 3weeks and have done a couple of solid weeks of recording with it,and its performed very well

It packs alot of bang for the buck.

The only issues I am having with it, is seeing the screen in direct sunlight and the screen scratches very easily.....

I have had it suggested to put a cellphone cover on it which I will do,but I really think it needs to be brighter.

The nomad had the same comments when it came out and eventually they doubled the brightness of the screen.

The nomad users are now happy with it... according to the posts.

Im interested to hear how people are finding it in the direct sun

Regards ant

It may have been addressed earlier in this thread, but with one 664 on display at LSC I noticed the faders don't have as much resistance when dialing up or down in comparison to a 552 (possibly the 302 and 442 as well). It's just not as smooth.

Was it just the one or have other people noticed this?

It may have been addressed earlier in this thread, but with one 664 on display at LSC I noticed the faders don't have as much resistance when dialing up or down in comparison to a 552 (possibly the 302 and 442 as well). It's just not as smooth.

The faders do seem to have less resistance than my 442 for example. It seemed strange at first because I was used to the stiffer fader but I'm happy with them now, its easier to adjust the multiple faders with one hand for example which is nice.

According with what microphone use to test the mic pre amp for one mixer (recorder)

now lets talk about this. The different performance between microphones on this mixer.

I would like to hear opinions about:

Schoeps CMIT5U

Schoeps CMC6/MK41 and MK4

Sennheiser MKH 8060 and 8050

Sennheiser MKH 60 and MKH 50

NOT the opinions about these microphones BUT how performance on this mixer.

Thank you!

According with what microphone use to test the mic pre amp for one mixer (recorder)

now lets talk about this. The different performance between microphones on this mixer.

I would like to hear opinions about:

Schoeps CMIT5U

Schoeps CMC6/MK41 and MK4

Sennheiser MKH 8060 and 8050

Sennheiser MKH 60 and MKH 50

NOT the opinions about these microphones BUT how performance on this mixer.

Thank you!

No one? What are you doing with the 664 guys? Just playing with buttons?

I have read opinions about menus, outputs, inputs for this mixer but I don't

hear the results with different microphones. I'm not offend anyone but it's important to know

how performance one microphone with this mixer than menus, copy-paste files to SD from CF...

I honestly think "performance with microphones" is not something that most mixers focus on these days (and this is for a whole variety of reasons). The evaluation of how a microphone "performs" (I imagine you mean how it sounds) with a specific recorder or mixer has usually already happened with earlier iterations or models from the company. So, for example, if you have already had experience with an older recorder from Sound Devices, like the 744T, when thinking about a 788T the questions is asked: how are the mic preamps on the new 788T? Once this is understood, what the similarities or differences are, and with a listen to the new device, a fairly proper conclusion regarding the performance of your favorite microphone can be had. To use your example of the SD 664, there have been lots of discussions about how it "sounds", and most of these discussions start with an explanation of the preamps used in the SD 664 compared to those in other, older models, from Sound Devices.

Lastly, I will say that discussions regarding how a microphone performs with a new machine will take a back seat to discussions of features and functions, menus and firmware, and all those things you mention, in part because so many are going LINE IN with their wireless receivers, never even having a chance to hear how a high quality boom mic plugged directly into the mic preamp sounds. Of course, even those doing all this "bag work" usually have a boom mic plugged in, when your focus is on managing 6 wireless receivers, camera hops, file managements and delivery, monitor feeds to director and clients, there is sadly little time to actually evaluate how it all SOUNDS.