Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. It was not accessible when I started my day. A few takes/file names in it was available and in use. A few takes/files later it became greyed out again. I forget the status when my day ended.

I have put the issue up on the Sound Devices forum just to see what the boys in tech support think of it.

You can follow it here: http://forum.sounddevices.com/showthread.php?3891-Space-Bar-Greyed-Out&p=21663#post21663

So you are saying that at one point; You did / have have access to the space bar for File names?

Spaces are not permitted in file names or folder names on any Sound Devices recorder or recording mixer.  There are no spaces in file names on systems that create file names based on sector date and time like Zaxcom recorders or the Cantar either. Several other characters are also not permitted in file names. @, #, $, % , ^ , & , *, (, ), and so on. File names can have letters and numbers, underscores and dashes. Periods are only allowed between the name and file designator, as in FILE_001-T01.WAV. These limitations are imposed by the file system used.

You get 9 characters before the file designator on Sound devices recorders, also a limitation of the file system.

Best regards,

Jim

you may be confusing notes or other metadata. You can not have a -space- in a filename. I am guessing that SD is using customized Linux, or something similar, to run the 664, and *nix does not allow spaces in file names. Apple and Microsoft had to jump through hoops to make that (appear to) work in their respective operating systems. 

Has anyone had any track name weirdness? Where the entered track name during record is NOT reflected in the metadata when imported into WaveAgent.

Eg. This pic from the main screen, Track 1 says - CHRIS_SPLASH9yvyjaju.jpg

Then when I check the current take in the Take List Edit Menu Track 1 now says its GARIC_TILERavunuhu4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I could be the first in my country to use this product (likely) and I am glad to report that after 3 days of shoot in Malaysia's weather (roughly 33-37 degrees celcius) I am not having any problem whatsoever. Using the recommended SD card. Loving the routing capabilities. At first I was disturbed by the noise but upon a quick check with a good fellow mixer Martyn Truman it was just an unterminated connection noise, it's not a channel mic level noise (something you bound to get with old Wendt mixer). As of right now, I absolutely love this machine. It's day 3 of 28. We'll see how it fares through the whole 28.

Thank you SD.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using my 664 for a couple months and it's been what I'd expect from SD - a solid reliable machine day after day. I've encountered my first issue though and wonder if anyone else has had the same thing happen. I was using the 3.5mm headphone jack and it broke off from the casing and is now loose. It's clearly not that a threaded ring worked it's way off but that the jack on the case broke away and it's now dangling by it's leads inside the case. I don't recall yanking the headphone plug or dropping the bag on it's side at any time.

664.jpg

the 2.5mm jack is a common problem for me.  The 302 uses one circuit board for the entire mixer and the jacks are soldered directly to the board over time the flexing of plugging and unplugging the headphone plug either breaks the housing of the jack or it pulls away from the circuit board.  I am sorry to hear that the 664 may use the same design.  My 302 spent a number of visits to SD to be repaired.  The audio return jack on the output side suffered the same fate.  I finally took the thing apart, bought a Switchcraft jack and used wires to solder it to the board.  Problem solved.  Modern boards have the components machine assembled  plus I would imagine the parts are not always of the highest quality.  So far my 664 is behaving.

David

On a recent unexpected trip to the belly of the plane, rather than coming carry-on, my 664 must have had a good whack that actually bent the headphone cable that was plugged into it, but the jack itself survived quite nicely. <br /><br />Hopefully an inexpensive repair for you!<br /><br />R

Thinking I may be able to work the threaded ring off the plug and put a small thin washer on it to hold it out at the panel instead of falling inward. Just hate to jury rig when the mixer is only a couple months "old". I'm using it daily on a show that runs for another month so won't be able to send it to SD for bench time until the season wraps.

First error discovered!

I was rolling on very low battery (supposed to be one shot away from base turns out to be 4 shots, I was away from my NP1 powering system and the new AAs that was used on standby in the 664 was very used up by now), probably didn't shutdown properly.

I can't even get the file out of the card (to transfer into my drive - it says copy error; pc goes into an infinite loop of trying to copy/error). Tried to open it straight from the card and got a 'corrupted' file error on Adobe Premiere.

So I guess 664 users should never push your luck with low power ;)

Lucky for me it was just a passing shot of a van. Not dialogue shots.

First error discovered!

I was rolling on very low battery (supposed to be one shot away from base turns out to be 4 shots, I was away from my NP1 powering system and the new AAs that was used on standby in the 664 was very used up by now), probably didn't shutdown properly.

I can't even get the file out of the card (to transfer into my drive - it says copy error; pc goes into an infinite loop of trying to copy/error). Tried to open it straight from the card and got a 'corrupted' file error on Adobe Premiere.

So I guess 664 users should never push your luck with low power ;)

Lucky for me it was just a passing shot of a van. Not dialogue shots.

Uhhh, that's not a fault of the machine...

Any recording system ( file based ) except for Zaxcom, when recording, absolutely needs you the stop the recording in order for it to complete writing the file ( something to do with the TOC Tabke Of Content ) in order for that file to be readable later. If you loose power before stopping, that file is next to impossible to recover.

That being said, you simply need to monitor your power and not "brown out" on power, which is usually not a good idea on your gear period.

Sound device has a very good thing as far as file security. It is able to record to multiple media simultaneously so if your have a card error, you have the other media as a backup.

Zaxcom on the other hand, records to one media and then mirrors the data on the other media. BUT once you record, your file is recorded up until power loss.

You have to choose what is best for you. I had media card error in the past on many different machine and it is something that happens from time to time with recorders and card, I prefer multiple media recording over power fail safe, personally.

e...Hey guys. recently,i want to  buy my own recorder,and i love 664,it suit for me.but I have some questions.The biggest one is the amp--the sound quality.Somebody told me is a mixer so you don't compare it with SD 7s recorders.but I want to know the 'distance' between 664 and 744(788's DR is too good).I read their spes.I found some different.but i don't understand THD + Noise what it specific is....here these are:788 THD + Noise Mic: 0.004% max (1 kHz, 22 Hz–22 kHz BW, gain control down, -15 dBu input) Line: 0.004% max (1 kHz, 22 Hz–22 kHz BW, gain control down, +16 dBu input)

664:0.09% max (1 kHz, 22 Hz–22 kHz BW, fader at 0, 0 dBu output) 

The different is 20 times more?! 

Please Forgive my poor english...and thanks for reply...