Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

Uhhh, that's not a fault of the machine...

I never said it was, just sharing that if you lose power or running on very low voltage the file you have a good chance of never recovering the current file that you are recording.

Pascal technically explained the TOC thing (thank you very much)!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*very low voltage you have a good chance of never recovering the current file that you are recording.

apologies for the structure error, am packing to move to another location right now

en...i see...thanks, Fauzan

Cheers friend! Hope the weather is nice in China to roll sound

edit : in hindsight I should've said with digital recording media you shouldn't push your luck with power. ( except for maybe Zaxcom )

Edited by Fauzan

• 2 weeks later...

"So I guess 664 users should never push your luck with low power "

So I guess 664 users professionals should never push your luck with low power

" the amp--the sound quality.Somebody told me is a mixer so you don't compare it with SD 7s recorders.but I want to know the 'distance' between 664 and 744 "

Hi, and welcome...

who is "
someone".??

you need to learn some of this stuff, and I suggest Jay Rose's books at www.dplay.com

you are discussing differences that can be measured, but that humans cannot really hear!

• 2 weeks later...

Holloway: no recorder should do that or your audio files will overlap. The whole point of REC-RUN is that TC is continuous, so pre-record would overlap the previous recording. I suppose in a way it takes all responsibility off you. Im on a REC-RUN job now and i don't even press record, i have it set to go when the TC starts. Just another reason I prefer free run for most jobs I do.

Reasonable, though I quote scripture (SD 664 Users Guide PDF pg 26)

Things to consider when using Timecode Hold Off

• This feature only applies in
Ext-TC Auto-Rec
and
Ext-TC Auto-Rec/Cont
• If Pre-Roll is set, it will be applied (see Pre-Roll). Pre-Roll will only capture audio from the initial
detection of a time code signal. If no Pre-Roll is selected, the
file will begin after the Hold Off time
expires. It is best practice to set Pre-Roll, in the Setup Menu option
RECORDER > Pre-Roll Time,
to a value greater than the selected Timecode Hold Off
value. This ensures that audio is captured
from the moment a timecode signal is detected and that unintentional
files triggered by short

bursts of time code are not generated

Holloway: no recorder should do that or your audio files will overlap. The whole point of REC-RUN is that TC is continuous, so pre-record would overlap the previous recording. I suppose in a way it takes all responsibility off you. Im on a REC-RUN job now and i don't even press record, i have it set to go when the TC starts. Just another reason I prefer free run for most jobs I do.

What if you stop / start in a time period shorter than the pre-roll?

I've been using my 664 for a couple months and it's been what I'd expect from SD - a solid reliable machine day after day. I've encountered my first issue though and wonder if anyone else has had the same thing happen. I was using the 3.5mm headphone jack and it broke off from the casing and is now loose. It's clearly not that a threaded ring worked it's way off but that the jack on the case broke away and it's now dangling by it's leads inside the case. I don't recall yanking the headphone plug or dropping the bag on it's side at any time.

664.jpg

I had the same thing happen when a PA knocked my bag off the cart the other day.

The jack still works.

Because of a change of working practice I have been seriously considering the 664 but what worries me is the lack of a hard drive and fire wire to use an external card writer for rushes. (dailies) Also the recommended media seems horrendously expensive for say a 64Gb card whilst the cost of a 128Gb card is in La La land.

Now IMHO to have just  64Gb as your main recording media seems a retrograde step. You may recall that SD upped the internal drive in a 744 to 160Gb after starting with a 40Gb

How are you users coping with this? I would appreciate any input from anyone who is doing work with a high track count.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Strange behaviour with G3 wireless:

If I plug in the Sennheiser CL-100 Cable without wireless - i hear white noise - so far so expected. But the levels are 30 dB hotter on LR than in Ch5 for example. change with fader but why is it hotter on L or R than on the channel. My ears tell me they are about the same level.

Even when I connect the G3 - mute or open - the noise Levels indicate -10 on LR and are not visible on CH5 (20dB difference). If I crank up the Fader the Levels corrospond and green Input LED is solid green even if I have normal levels which end up at -30dB for the noise  on Ch5.

Strange - anybody experienced that? 

I could lessen the effect if I put the receiver to +6dB and the transmitter 12dB up as well. But still there - not so on micron or audio ltd wireless. 

" media seems horrendously expensive "

huh?

a standard 7" roll of 1/4"tape at 7.5ips (aka 48kHz!) held about 500MB worth of audio (in todays world!)...

that was expensive, by any comparison today.

... and more recently the DVD-RAM discs for the Fostex PD-6 were about $14/each. They were 2-sided discs in little caddies that held a whopping 1.2GB/side.  By comparison, it would be downright thrifty to buy a case of CF cards and use them once. 

" media seems horrendously expensive "

huh?

a standard 7" roll of 1/4"tape at 7.5ips (aka 48kHz!) held about 500MB worth of audio (in todays world!)...

that was expensive, by any comparison today.

I still think that you are on a hiding to nothing if you try and get production to buy a couple of 128 Gb cards which at the moment are about 600 UK pounds which is over $900 or £120 for a 64Gb card. It's a no brainier when you think that a 900 ft reel of tape was available for £5 ($7)

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Yes like hard drives there's always a sweet spot where the cost per gigabyte is least as I'm sure you're aware, beyond which cost tends to increase exponentially. I've used a Fusion for some time and now a Nomad as well (and a 788T but with hard drive of course) and can quite happily manage with multiple 16 & 32GB cards without any great inconvenience whilst keeping an eye on my remaining space strategy.

I have been watching the SD664 threads about approved cards and it does appear to be unusually fussy about which cards it will accept which might increase the cost.

I've been using Transcend 133x for up to ten tracks for years and in that time only two cards have gone bad, otherwise they're very good value but not I believe approved for the 664 unfortunately.

Because of a change of working practice I have been seriously considering the 664 but what worries me is the lack of a hard drive and fire wire to use an external card writer for rushes. (dailies) Also the recommended media seems horrendously expensive for say a 64Gb card whilst the cost of a 128Gb card is in La La land.

Now IMHO to have just  64Gb as your main recording media seems a retrograde step. You may recall that SD upped the internal drive in a 744 to 160Gb after starting with a 40Gb

How are you users coping with this? I would appreciate any input from anyone who is doing work with a high track count.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Malcolm,

I have two 16GB CF cards, which I alternate every day or, if the track count is high, after lunch. I mirror the recording in a 16GB SD card, which I consider my safety net. If it's a high-stakes job I'll use either a 4-track backup recorded or piggyback a 552 onto the 664 and record a back up stereo mix.

If I find that I'll be recording more, or I'll be in the boondocks, I may buy another set of 16GB cards.

HTH,

BK

I've been using Transcend 133x for up to ten tracks for years and in that time only two cards have gone bad, otherwise they're very good value but not I believe approved for the 664 unfortunately.

I suppose you get what you pay for.

SD recommend a minimum read rate of 45b/s. If I'm reading the spec correctly your 133X are rated at 21.5Mb/s. Thanks for the input.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

SD recommend a minimum read rate of 45b/s. If I'm reading the spec correctly your 133X are rated at 21.5Mb/s. Thanks for the input.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Read rate?

I've done 10 tracks on my Fusion many times with Transcend 133x but that may be an advantage of MARF over FAT32, I've never seen that discussed i.e. that MARF can work with a lower write speed than FAT32.