Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

Did anyone tell Petrol/Portabrace? I hate the Camrade bags, and it's significantly bigger than the 442/552.

I'm sure they're on it.

problably fit in a petrol 614

Negative. I own the PS614 and the 552 is tight in it. This unit is 1.6" wider, which is significant, and will render the PS614 useless for this unit unless you stretch the material far beyond it's spec.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

problably fit in a petrol 614

I'm not so sure, this thing is big! The 614 does allow lots of cables to stick out the sides, but the 664 box itself is over 12" wide. The Nomad just fits in the 614 and it's 9.9" wide. I'm sure Petrol is hard at work on a new bag, or one of the bigger bags will hold it.

664 Dimensions and Weight

Dimensions: 5.3 cm x 32 cm x 19.8 cm (H x W x D) 2.1" x 12.6" x 7.8"

Weight: 4 lbs. 12 oz. (unpackaged, without batteries)

I'm just not sure what else they could do without getting into the wireless market...

I think it addresses the downfalls of the nomad. Especially with the input section being on the side instead of the bottom.

They definitely listen to their customers!

Personally im scared to death of all in one solutions. I was on a shoot the other day, the mixer brought his nomad... Had it all setup and then boom he had zero output on any bus... Thankfully he had his trusty sqn or they would have been waiting on him. It took a firmware reset to fix it.

This is why simple is so important to me. Could this happen with any mixer? Yes but our technology is getting more intricate with more potential for failure. Having a less complicated simple solution instills confidence that it will always work. I still think nomad and maxx are great products but I prefer SD because well... Im paranoid! Lol

I think SD did a very good job of listening to how bag-soundies want to work anymore and responded. The modular approach to adding inputs is a great idea I think. The 664 might be a response to the Nomad, but the Nomad was a response to the 552--that's how it goes. Glad to see that Sven was retired. Glad to see a knob for every input--old school I know but that's what I like. Good move on the TC feature. I hope the sunlight readability of the display is for real. Sorry to see the LCD+LED "split display" go, but I guess that's how you get that much info visible at once. Very clever and observant of how real jobs work.

phil p

I'm just not sure what else they could do without getting into the wireless market...

I think it addresses the downfalls of the nomad. Especially with the input section being on the side instead of the bottom.

Personally im scared to death of all in one solutions. I was on a shoot the other day, the mixer brought his nomad... Had it all setup and then boom he had zero output on any bus... Thankfully he had his trusty sqn or they would have been waiting on him. It took a firmware reset to fix it.

This is why simple is so important to me. Could this happen with any mixer? Yes but our technology is getting more intricate with more potential for failure. Having a less complicated simple solution instills confidence that it will always work. I still think nomad and maxx are great products but I prefer SD because well... Im paranoid! Lol

operator error

Naming tracks is possible. The track names of iso tracks will appear on the Input Settings screens as well. Here is the Input Settings screen for Input 1 after I named it "Boom":

664-track-name.gif

Recording to both media (CF and SD) simultaneously is supported. It is possible to send all tracks to one media, just the iso tracks, or just the bus tracks. This assignment is made independently per media, so you could send just your iso tracks to the SD and just your LR mix to CF (for example).

This is great. For the same price of a 788t (or cheaper?) you can get the 664 and the cl-6. You get more inputs (12 vs 8 ) and more tracks (16 vs 12). And if you need less you just split it. Sounds good. I wonder if you can use the CL-9 or if they are releasing the equivalent? That would make it an all-rounder, from small to big bag to cart.

Might be selling my 788t SSD soon...

"Downfalls" is a strong word. A lot of us are using the Nomad on a daily basis with 100% satisfaction. Let's be real, this is a reaction to the Nomad (including the Zaxcom style routing on a color screen). It looks like a black Nomad if you squint!

As for listening to users, both companies listen to their customers input or they wouldn't exist. It might not be as obvious here, but on Ye Olde Deva User's Group there were a lot of user suggestions that Howy would implement in no time. If it was an easy software change, they would do it. If it wasn't possible, or required a lot of work, they would explain that and maybe it went on the list of things to look at.

This is great. For the same price of a 788t (or cheaper?) you can get the 664 and the cl-6. You get more inputs (12 vs 8 ) and more tracks (16 vs 12). And if you need less you just split it. Sounds good. I wonder if you can use the CL-9 or if they are releasing the equivalent? That would make it an all-rounder, from small to big bag to cart.

well than, let me be the first to offer to buy your 788T SSD from you!